Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
24-06-2011, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2011 05:16 PM by Atheist.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, guys.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I am an atheist from Oregon. I figured that I would just try to pick the most obvious username; it's weird that it was still open.

I have actually been lurking on this forum for about 5/6 months but just haven't created an account. I remember finding this forum through looking at TTA's vids on youtube and coming to the website in curiosity.

I probably have been an atheist for about two years though I never exactly believed very strongly but just never really questioned it that much. Then, I started getting interested in it, and pretty soon I just became an atheist. It wasn't really that big of a change, for I still have to go to a Catholic school though everything I have to do there I treat in a different perspective. It's weird being next to people who honestly believe everything there and just never really questioned it when you don't (I mean the staff-most of my friends don't believe, either).

Peace,
Atheist

EDIT: Also, I was just looking at he members' list and was amazed at how many more people have joined. I remember when only a few people were registered, but now there are almost 600, with new people registering all the time. This site is really taking off,
Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 07:44 PM
It is weird that the name wasn't taken yet.

Oh well lurker, glad you made an account, and are finally out of the lurking closet. I think it is pretty full in there these days. But now that we know you are there, I think I can speak for everyone currently out of the closet by saying, have you heard the word of The Great Spaghetti Monster?

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ti-Monster

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2011, 07:57 PM

Hi I'm a 42 year old single mom from Chicago (suburbs).
I was a believer simply because that's what I was told. My dad made me go to church on Easter and Christmas but I checked out mentally because I found it incredibly boring. I never knew much about religion, never gave it a second thought. When I was a teenager I was going to get baptized because the thought of my besties being my Godparents was cool. When I asked what it was all about, well, that was the beginning of the end for me. Sin? In babies? That just didn't make sense to me.

Now ... I assume nothing and question everything. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Daisyoxoxo's post
27-06-2011, 01:10 AM

Hi there. I'm a 22 year old Geo/Bio double major from Denver, Colorado. Interests include soccer, atheism, video games and nude women on the Internet. I'm also not good at writing introductions.
[+] 2 users Like Chrisuzwhite's post
27-06-2011, 01:51 AM
I am a 19-year-old male from a small village in the northern part of Sweden. I've been an unbeliever pretty much my entire life, even though I grew up with most people around me (teachers, friends, and so on) being pretty religious. Luckily my family isn't. In my freetime I read and play computer games, mostly.

And for future reference, there are NO polar bears on the streets of northern Sweden. I have to say this, because i've met far too many people who believes that there are (i'm not implying that you do).
27-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Hello, I stumbled across TTA's videos on youtube a while ago and finally decided to check out the forum. I'm also a fan of the atheist experience, ask an atheist and so on.

I'm Scottish and although I went to Church of Scotland sunday school as a child I can't remember the point when I stopped believing in God, I don't think I ever really did. Fortunately though, that's not really a big deal in Britain. I certainly have never had any kind of negative reactions (although certainly some patronising nonsense about it being ok, God just hasn't spoken to me/found me yet Dodgy ). I'm still pretty fascinated by religion though and enjoy a good debate about it.
27-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Hi. My name is Michele and I have been an Atheist for a couple of years now. I feel great and this is the first time I have ever been very happy with my life. I have been a Christian, a Wiccan, a Sufi Muslim, an independent scientologist and an agnostic; but I'm recovering nicely and feeling quite well thank you. I am a lesbian and have a Civil Union with my life partner who I often refer to as my wife. I have two cats, Chance who is all black, and Athens who is a black and white angora. I am happy to be here and look forward to a happy communication with all of you.
27-06-2011, 04:33 PM
(24-06-2011 05:13 PM)Atheist Wrote:  Okay, now that that's out of the way, I am an atheist from Oregon.

I'm not impressed. My 25 yo son lives in Ashland, OR. Or as I call it "Hippie Central". I think it's much easier to be an atheist in the People's Republic of Oregon than say East Texas. Isn't everyone in Oregon an atheist by now? Wink

(25-06-2011 07:57 PM)Daisyoxoxo Wrote:  Hi I'm a 42 year old single mom from Chicago (suburbs). ... I was a believer simply because that's what I was told. ... Now ... I assume nothing and question everything. Big Grin

Seems like atheism should be the default position going in. Dunno when or why that got reversed.

(27-06-2011 01:10 AM)Chrisuzwhite Wrote:  Interests include ... nude women on the Internet.

At least we share a common interest. They're even better out here in the skin brother.

(27-06-2011 01:51 AM)Derivater Wrote:  And for future reference, there are NO polar bears on the streets of northern Sweden.

I'm calling bullshit. I've seen the pictures of them eating babies on the streets. Smile

(27-06-2011 10:40 AM)Goddess Aurora Wrote:  Fortunately though, that's not really a big deal in Britain.

Goddam Brits have always been more mature than us in the States.

(27-06-2011 02:46 PM)Meishayuri Wrote:  I have been a Christian, a Wiccan, a Sufi Muslim, an independent scientologist and an agnostic; but I'm recovering nicely and feeling quite well thank you.

Wow, that's a roundabout way of getting here. Wink

Welcome heathens!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-06-2011, 08:04 PM

Umm... hello everyone, I'm 18 and still finding my way around what i do and do not believe in. I have though come to the conclusion that i cannot accept the abrahamic God that i was raised to believe in. I have how ever been dabbling in and am leaning towards Paganism, but not in the sense that i believe in the gods of old. believe in it in the sense that the earth, the universe and everything in it is devine and that these "gods" that i revere are just names for natural laws and such within the universe that govern what happens. Blush
27-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Lean whatever way you like. It's always nice to hear about all the other options out there and why people choose them. I often toy with the idea of sun worship mainly as a sarcastic slap in the face to popular religion but partly because minus the crazy sacrificing it at least makes some sense and I can see the damn sun. It doesn't lie to me or ask me to kill for it, it does bad and it does good. But most of all it's a beautiful terrifying god with a life span just like me.
Welcome. Lots of new people recently.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed