Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-05-2014, 11:07 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(06-05-2014 04:46 PM)Peachy Wrote:  Hello from sunny Florida

Isn't that a tautology?

Welcome aboard, Peachy.

(08-05-2014 06:06 PM)Monica Wrote:  This is the first time I've ever joined a forum because m a big fan of TTA. next week's show is about faith healing fails. I have one I'd like to share. I'm trying to figure out how to get around on this website. How do I post a comment for the show?

Hi Monika,
Here, we have a media section where the YouTube version of the podcasts are posted... for post-broadcast comments.

I guess you can email Seth for pre-broadcast comments.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

(08-05-2014 10:53 PM)mothmantis Wrote:  ...
isn't Facebook.

That seems like a good enough reason to me.

Good to have you here... you are no longer homeless (virtually) Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
11-05-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm Josh, I'm 21 from morehead Kentucky. I'm a preachers kid, raised in an assembly of god church.

I have been an open atheist for 4-5 years now. I would like to talk to more atheists and see different perspectives on pretty much anything. Thanks!
11-05-2014, 08:07 PM
(11-05-2014 08:01 PM)Jmspencer11 Wrote:  I'm Josh, I'm 21 from morehead Kentucky. I'm a preachers kid, raised in an assembly of god church.

I have been an open atheist for 4-5 years now. I would like to talk to more atheists and see different perspectives on pretty much anything. Thanks!

Welcome Josh!

Feel free to just jump in!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-05-2014, 11:12 PM
I am so glad I found this online community. My de-conversion has been in progress for several years now, though I have just recently become aware of it. I was raised in a fairly liberal Catholic setting, with parents who entertained questions and encouraged critical thinking. I am grateful for that. My mother passed away less than two months ago fairly suddenly. I never expected to lose my Mom when I was only 27, so to some degree it does not feel real yet. I had (and continue to have) a very hard time biting my tongue in response to how "she is in a better place". So, while I struggle with that grief, I also am now struggling with the uncertainty, fear, change, yet also relief that come with the realization there is no God. I've been reading a lot on here and it is a comfort to know I am not alone.

I have many Christian friends but thankfully most are not the type that press the issue. I have not talked to many friends yet about becoming an atheist but I do feel like I can discuss that with many of them.

I look forward to taking part in future discussions on here. Thanks everyone!

Brian
[+] 1 user Likes thesmithsound's post
12-05-2014, 03:30 AM
I'm Sher Marri from Islamabad, Pakistan. I'm student of Computer Science. I have turned an athiest/agnostic or whatever you call it recently. I have not revealed it to anyone in Pakistan since the punishment to Apostacy is death. But I'm glad to be here, I am a free thinker.
[+] 3 users Like SherMarri's post
12-05-2014, 04:27 AM
(11-05-2014 11:12 PM)thesmithsound Wrote:  ....
I look forward to taking part in future discussions on here. Thanks everyone!

Brian

Hi Brian, we look forward to it too.
Sorry to here about your mum Hug

(12-05-2014 03:30 AM)SherMarri Wrote:  I'm Sher Marri from Islamabad, Pakistan. I'm student of Computer Science. I have turned an athiest/agnostic or whatever you call it recently. I have not revealed it to anyone in Pakistan since the punishment to Apostacy is death. But I'm glad to be here, I am a free thinker.

Hi Sher. Also, welcome.

Yup, death is definitely not a good way to start your career in atheism.

I'm hoping Sher is a pseudonym, right?
Smile

13-05-2014, 03:05 PM
At 465 pages in I doubt anyone will see this-- but "Introduction"!
Oddly, it was the move toward the religious right in this country that made it clear to me I wanted nothing to do with Christianity any more. There's not much more to tell, I'm tired of the insanity.

Anyone who says they can sell you enlightenment is like someone picking your pocket and selling you your own watch --Alan Watts
[+] 1 user Likes Orbit's post
13-05-2014, 06:02 PM
(13-05-2014 03:05 PM)Orbit Wrote:  At 465 pages in I doubt anyone will see this-- but "Introduction"!
Oddly, it was the move toward the religious right in this country that made it clear to me I wanted nothing to do with Christianity any more. There's not much more to tell, I'm tired of the insanity.

Welcome, Orbit. Good to see you around (and around and around).

We have our own brand of insanity here.

I hope it's to your taste.

Thumbsup

16-05-2014, 12:12 AM
I'm a college student in the southern United States. I've been an atheist for the past year and a half. Also, I like bacon.
[+] 1 user Likes Mre2940's post
16-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Hello,

My name is Matt. I'm originally from the US but I live in Spain now with my wife and two daughters. It's been a long time coming but I am an atheist. This revelation is threatening to take the family I've built together with my wife, a true blue Catholic. Living in a country that culturally has been Catholic for centuries is tough to say the least. There are people like me here but none that I am friends with. I got married in the church because it was the quickest way to unite my family, since then we've had another baby. It's just gotten worse and worse and I have been trying desperately believe in something that I bought fully. I've always questioned authority and it's always gotten me in trouble, now it's about to cost me everything. I have no idea what to do, in the eyes of my wife I am an enemy of the church, everything I do without God is in her mind causing this family to rip at the seams. I haven't done this purposely as I am aware that such belief is contradictory to her views. We have a contentious relationship as it is, fighting over non sense usually about daily life and the struggles that are but every now and then she'll through something like "whatever it's not like you believe in anything so I don't why I bother to stay with you." I know the relationship was on life support for a while now but I don't want to lose my family. If there is any advice out that anyone could give me it would be deeply appreciated. I am loving being an atheist and I wouldn't change a thing but I am aware now that I am doing it at the cost of my loving children and possibly the same from my family back home in the states, all believers. I am truly alone and this is my only refuge. Sorry for the long post but I needed to get this off my chest, I feel a huge weight off my body though I feel the anxiety of the impending reality of living a life without my kids every single day. Thanks and have a good day I look forward to hearing from any one of you.
Thread Closed