Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
16-05-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(16-05-2014 12:12 AM)Mre2940 Wrote:  I'm a college student in the southern United States. I've been an atheist for the past year and a half. Also, I like bacon.

We have a few Southerners here.

Welcome. Pull up a pig and snack down.

Find all posts by this user
16-05-2014, 02:20 AM
(16-05-2014 02:01 AM)ExPat_Matt Wrote:  Hello,

My name is Matt. I'm originally from the US but I live in Spain now with my wife and two daughters. It's been a long time coming but I am an atheist. This revelation is threatening to take the family I've built together with my wife, a true blue Catholic. Living in a country that culturally has been Catholic for centuries is tough to say the least. There are people like me here but none that I am friends with. I got married in the church because it was the quickest way to unite my family, since then we've had another baby. It's just gotten worse and worse and I have been trying desperately believe in something that I bought fully. I've always questioned authority and it's always gotten me in trouble, now it's about to cost me everything. I have no idea what to do, in the eyes of my wife I am an enemy of the church, everything I do without God is in her mind causing this family to rip at the seams. I haven't done this purposely as I am aware that such belief is contradictory to her views. We have a contentious relationship as it is, fighting over non sense usually about daily life and the struggles that are but every now and then she'll through something like "whatever it's not like you believe in anything so I don't why I bother to stay with you." I know the relationship was on life support for a while now but I don't want to lose my family. If there is any advice out that anyone could give me it would be deeply appreciated. I am loving being an atheist and I wouldn't change a thing but I am aware now that I am doing it at the cost of my loving children and possibly the same from my family back home in the states, all believers. I am truly alone and this is my only refuge. Sorry for the long post but I needed to get this off my chest, I feel a huge weight off my body though I feel the anxiety of the impending reality of living a life without my kids every single day. Thanks and have a good day I look forward to hearing from any one of you.

Hi Matt,

Don't be upset if you don't get any replies in this section as it is mainly for saying "Hi" and stuff.

I do recommend that you post your request in here as you are likely to replies.

You are not alone. Empathy abounds in this virtual world.

Hug

16-05-2014, 06:54 PM
(16-05-2014 12:12 AM)Mre2940 Wrote:  I'm a college student in the southern United States. I've been an atheist for the past year and a half. Also, I like bacon.

OK, you're in. Bacon is the password. Yes

Welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Bacon?
You're in Drinking Beverage

There's some moonshine in the fridge, but it's yankee-made Undecided It'll only blind ya, so don't trouble yourself trying to use it to clean grease off stuff Dodgy

Tongue

18-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Well. I'm finally here. About time.

Hey all, my name is Greg. I'm 18 years old and attending university in Ontario. I've been an atheist for about a year now... it's sort of complicated why. I grew up in an atheist household- wonderful parents and goofy younger brothers- and I never lacked for attention or joy from them. However, my family moved when I was 7, and the new school I attended was full of kids that didn't really want to be around some guy they didn't really know that well. I think now that it was this feeling of alienation that caused me to begin feeling depressed. Slowly, I started to separate myself from my peers, and I slipped into the make-believe worlds of books and movies.

In Grade 6, I made my first real friend. He was a Christian, and he was always happy. My young mind couldn't understand why- after all, his mom was loud and rude, his dad was never around, and his brother was a jerk. I started to think that maybe it was his Christianity that was making him happy. In Grade 9, I made even more Christian friends, and they were just as happy and cheerful. By Grade 11, I had seen enough- I decided that I wanted to be happy. I wanted to be a Christian.

So for one year, I believed in God and the Bible. Of course, I never told my family- I was scared they would be angry at me, even though my Dad was open about his acceptance of all beliefs. I would pray to God every night, and openly talk about God with my friends, and for some reason, I felt happier. At the time, I thought it was Christianity making me happier- now I realize I was just happy to have friends. Now, I say I believed in God and the Bible, but the thing is, I had never actually read the Bible. In Grade 12, I decided to open it and read...

And I promptly lost my faith.

I started by reading the four Gospels (John first, as my friends suggested). After reading the four, I discovered that this book, which I had been told was infallible, argued with itself. It could not even give one story for how Jesus was born, let alone his life afterwards. Shocked at what I had found, I browsed a bit through the rest of the Bible- bloodshed, sacrifices, pain, all commanded by the "benevolent" God. I could not believe in something so vile, fallible and generally repugnant.

So there you have it. I have officially been an atheist for about a year now, and I am happy to be one. I am not yet open about my atheism- in fact, I think my Christian friends may still believe that I am a Christian- but I hope to build enough confidence to tell them. I now have many non-Christian friends, and although my depression is a persistent problem, I am slowly fighting it off. I am so looking forward to being a part of this community, and I only hope I'll be able to contribute at least something small to it. Until next time!

~Greg Smile

(PS Yes, I really do play the piano! I am a passionate musician and "musicophile," and I am more than happy to talk about any music with anyone!)
(PPS Actually, I'll talk about pretty much anything! Tongue I'm not well-informed on any subject, but I'm definitely interested in almost everything! I say almost because, well, just because I haven't yet found anything I'm not interested in, that doesn't mean I'll never find one...)
[+] 1 user Likes SkepticPianist's post
18-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Hello all, my name is Chris. I am a senior attending a rural public college in Alabama (I don't really like it here). I am a closeted atheist, and it has been two years since I became one. I'm quite a shy, quiet but respectful individual with very little friends because I have the fear of being judged by other people, especially if people were to found out that I'm a godless person. Not many people seems to suspect that I'm an atheist except for my guidance counselor, who is a Christian but excepted me for who I am and became friends. I have no one to turn to but her. Unlike many people from Alabama, I am an open-minded, freethinking person, and someday, I would like to move to another state (perhaps New England or Pacific Northwest) where I can live life without being surrounded by a bunch of churches on every block in town and be free to come out of the closet and out of my shell without any fear of being rejected and osracized. After I lost contact with my religious friends, I began exploring and doing research. I gradually became an agnostic as I went on with my studies and declared myself an atheist but a year later. Even though I living in isolation, I do try and keep up with atheist groups through social media and YouTube.

I am so happy that I found the Thinking Atheist and I always listen to the podcasts. Now I feel like I'm not alone!
18-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi Greg and hi Chris.

We seem to be awash with Canadians and Alabamians recently.

The more the merrier.

Welcome guys.

Smile

19-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Im a practicing Catholic but I do consider myself a free thinker. I can understand that people might find that an oxymoron. Anyhow, I listened to the podcast and have become hooked. You make insomnia fun and educational.
[+] 1 user Likes JanetH's post
19-05-2014, 04:55 PM
(19-05-2014 04:13 PM)JanetH Wrote:  Im a practicing Catholic but I do consider myself a free thinker. I can understand that people might find that an oxymoron. Anyhow, I listened to the podcast and have become hooked. You make insomnia fun and educational.

Welcome! I'm a former Catholic myself.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Greetings and salutations to one and all. I'm RecursiveRecursion (call me Rick if you don't want to type all that out). I'm an atheist, have been for quite a while, and enjoy being one. I hope to help and entertain with posts that induce philosophical panderings, captivating conversations, and undeniablely daring discourses. (Not sure if that made sense, but it's alliteration, so forget it.)

What the heck is a signature? -RecursiveRecursion
[+] 1 user Likes RecursiveRecursion's post
Thread Closed