Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
28-06-2011, 08:45 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(27-06-2011 08:04 PM)MelpoAislang Wrote:  believe in it in the sense that the earth, the universe and everything in it is devine and that these "gods" that i revere are just names for natural laws and such within the universe that govern what happens.

You might like Spinoza. I know I do. Wink

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
30-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi all!

I guess my story is slightly different then most of what I've read here since I've been an atheist my entire life and haven't had anyone tell me that it is wrong :-)

I'm from Sweden and religion hasn't really been anything I've considered at all growing up, my parents are atheists as are most of the Swedish population. We are taught religion in school of course, we get to read about all the big religions and what they believe in.

My sort of wake-up call into discussing and debating has been the Internet of course, when I started hanging at forums and reading blogs out there all of a sudden there was a lot of people telling me I am immoral/crazy/on my way to being a mass murderer and stuff like that so I started talking to them... maybe a bad idea but it can be a lot of fun :-)

I found this place because I've been talking to a creationist for a couple of months and was looking for some way of wording my responses, I didn't really find anything helpful but I guess I'll eventually start a thread with some of our arguments. Our discussion started on failblog, there was a really funny posting from somebody's facebook status,
http://failbook.failblog.org/2010/12/22/...facts-ftw/
I couldn't help myself and read through all the comments and figured I should just send a compliment to one of the guys who had been very patient with this creationist... it turned out that the creationist had mail notifications and then the debate was on. I have to give credit to him though, he's quite adept in logic and semantics and it can be both fun, interesting and frustrating to talk to him but I'm mostly trying to learn to be more patient, I still haven't started swearing at him :-D

Hmm, this introduction got a bit longer then I expected and I haven't said anything about me yet, so short version: I'm a gamer(x-box, pc, board games etc), I love reading (books, comics, blogs), I'm interested in politics and movies (love asian movies) and hanging with friends and I'm a 35-year old IT-support guy... enough?

I look forward to many interesting talks here.

/Martin
30-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the site Martin, glad to have you here. I often wonder what it's like in places such as Sweden. It's like backwardsville. How nice it would be.

Oh right the post. I was just thinking about things.
I loved the link you posted. I'd like to pat that guy on the back, but at the same time I can't help but wonder how those two ended up being friends in the first place.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2011, 04:45 AM
(30-06-2011 07:13 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome to the site Martin, glad to have you here. I often wonder what it's like in places such as Sweden. It's like backwardsville. How nice it would be.

Oh right the post. I was just thinking about things.
I loved the link you posted. I'd like to pat that guy on the back, but at the same time I can't help but wonder how those two ended up being friends in the first place.

Thanks, if you have any questions about Sweden you just have to ask, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. Personally I think it's great living here except for the weather, not enough sun and warmth... and at the moment we have a right-wing government which I'm not too pleased with either but they're still further left then Obama for example.

Oh, you were thinking, I thought your mind went blank there for a while ;-)

The guy who made the comment on Facebook did comment a couple of times on failblog as well, he wrote that he doesn't know the girl very well so I guess it's not like they're friends.
It's not that unusual that friends that I attended primary school or something similar with finds me and wants to be friends so it doesn't feel strange to have people on your friend list that you don't really know.
04-07-2011, 11:33 PM

Hey, everybody.

I'm a 27-year-old from Texas, raised in a religious environment, but my belief was gradually chipped away by several factors. I actually didn't have any horrific experiences with the church, it just doesn't make sense. I'm really pleased to have found this site & podcast, and I hope to participate somewhat regularly in the dialogue here, because I don't know of any like minds in my area. So, hi!
06-07-2011, 06:07 PM

hello I am here? or am I? o.0
06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
(06-07-2011 06:07 PM)Villains Vindication Wrote:  hello I am here? or am I? o.0

Welcome!
I'm not sure if your here or not, but I'm pretty sure I'm a figment of my own imagination. Tongue

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
[+] 1 user Likes blasphemy fan's post
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
(06-07-2011 06:07 PM)Villains Vindication Wrote:  hello I am here? or am I? o.0

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? ... Bueller? Bueller? ... Bueller? ... ?

#sigh
10-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Hi, my name is Stacey. I was born in Munich Germany but raised in Victoria BC since I was 6. I'm 22 and enjoy the outdoors and study fine arts and music at UVic. I try to keep an open mind but religion is just silly. Nice to meet you all Smile
10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Another sort of canadian yay!. I think we can count you anyways. Welcome aboard you!!
[Image: simpsonsdogshifty%5B1%5D.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed