Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(06-06-2014 02:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Too many one time posters.

C'mon y'all... we don't bite.

Use your lovely voice to bring them back.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
06-06-2014, 02:39 PM
(06-06-2014 12:49 PM)kline Wrote:  
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

hi paul,

like you, this is my first introductory post. [[ the reason for my all-lower-case message is that years ago i *partially* dislocated my shoulder. that doesn't sum up my story but it is an important sliver. maybe. ]]

i am a lay-ordained zen buddhist which is about as hard-core atheist as anyone can get. i don't go around with a bull horn saying that i have left all gods behind; at the same time, i don't make a big deal about it.

belief in any god didn't make much sense to me even as a young child, but since i grew up in one of the northern bible belts, i kept it pretty much to myself.

now that i am seriously nearly Old-Age, i don't much care who know what i am and what i believe.

i have some questions for this forum and one for you since you are in the .mil. do many of your pals know that you are an atheist? how many in the military care these days? that sort of thing.

cheers,

gary kline
kline@thought.org

Welcome both of you, I figured I'd jump in if you don't mind. I am a US Navy officer and have been serving 28 years thus far, and I can tell you that finally, most of the "omg you're an atheist!?" has disappeared within the military structure, perhaps because I am a bit senior to most, but I do believe it is getting better. The issue is the amount of religion that is permanently embraced within our traditions...like a prayer at beginning and ending of all major ceremonies, the nightly prayer via the 1MC (ship's intercom) 5 minutes before lights out...these are the things that annoy me, but as I stand looking straight ahead during the ceremonial prayers, I always look around the room to see who else is ...looking around...I was surprised to see my captain looking straight ahead...we locked eyes and he smiled and gave a little nod...maybe there is hope Smile

anyway, again, welcome all.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
(06-06-2014 02:31 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 02:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Too many one time posters.

C'mon y'all... we don't bite.

Use your lovely voice to bring them back.

That would scare them away.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Hey my name is Gary I don't know if I am suppose to be posting this here, but I am new here, I am 48 years old, and on my way to becoming an Atheist. I was a christian for many years then I was pagan, now I consider myself Atheist but I have a problem with something, I am not a science thinking kind of person and when I was a christian I was taught that there were no such thing as dinosaurs and I have always kept a hold of this through all my changes in thought, heck to be honest my wife and daughter both total atheist lovingly pick on me over the belief that I have that there have never really been dinosaurs. If some of you could help me in my last steps to becoming Atheist maybe by helping me in understanding something like the above that would be great!

Thank YouSmile
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
(06-06-2014 03:03 PM)gacatmandu Wrote:  Hey my name is Gary I don't know if I am suppose to be posting this here, but I am new here, I am 48 years old, and on my way to becoming an Atheist. I was a christian for many years then I was pagan, now I consider myself Atheist but I have a problem with something, I am not a science thinking kind of person and when I was a christian I was taught that there were no such thing as dinosaurs and I have always kept a hold of this through all my changes in thought, heck to be honest my wife and daughter both total atheist lovingly pick on me over the belief that I have that there have never really been dinosaurs. If some of you could help me in my last steps to becoming Atheist maybe by helping me in understanding something like the above that would be great!

Thank YouSmile

48 and becoming an atheist? Well I must now change my views.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
(06-06-2014 02:39 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 12:49 PM)kline Wrote:  hi paul,

like you, this is my first introductory post. [[ the reason for my all-lower-case message is that years ago i *partially* dislocated my shoulder. that doesn't sum up my story but it is an important sliver. maybe. ]]

i am a lay-ordained zen buddhist which is about as hard-core atheist as anyone can get. i don't go around with a bull horn saying that i have left all gods behind; at the same time, i don't make a big deal about it.

belief in any god didn't make much sense to me even as a young child, but since i grew up in one of the northern bible belts, i kept it pretty much to myself.

now that i am seriously nearly Old-Age, i don't much care who know what i am and what i believe.

i have some questions for this forum and one for you since you are in the .mil. do many of your pals know that you are an atheist? how many in the military care these days? that sort of thing.

cheers,

gary kline
kline@thought.org

Welcome both of you, I figured I'd jump in if you don't mind. I am a US Navy officer and have been serving 28 years thus far, and I can tell you that finally, most of the "omg you're an atheist!?" has disappeared within the military structure, perhaps because I am a bit senior to most, but I do believe it is getting better. The issue is the amount of religion that is permanently embraced within our traditions...like a prayer at beginning and ending of all major ceremonies, the nightly prayer via the 1MC (ship's intercom) 5 minutes before lights out...these are the things that annoy me, but as I stand looking straight ahead during the ceremonial prayers, I always look around the room to see who else is ...looking around...I was surprised to see my captain looking straight ahead...we locked eyes and he smiled and gave a little nod...maybe there is hope Smile

anyway, again, welcome all.

interesting... i've got to go to my daughter's HS grad in a few minutes, but just wanted to say that i'm glad tthe military is following the rest of society.

i had the idea that most folk in uniform were only slightly above the typical concept of neanderthal and would be prone to feed atheists knuckle sandwiches if someone denied god or gods.

navy, eh? my uncle phil was an aide to nimitz a few years before i was born. and my EE cuz was a test pilot out of dayton. neither made a career of it tho.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Hi all,

I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian home and now I no longer believe. It took me a while. The story is too long, but rather familiar. I have a Youtube channel which I don't really post videos anymore; but it's AnswersInNature. I had a Mammals of the World series, since I'm fascinated with the class of animals humans, dogs, cats, squirrels, whales, and bats come from.

I find it ironic that the religion that says man is the center of the universe is the same one that says arrogance is a sin.
07-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi there! I'm a 26-year-old engineer from Finland. Born and raised lutheran but you could say I was a 'true' (In my book that's believing god is real.) believer up to the age of 15.
After that I remained a person who just believed in a higher power. (most of finnish christians are actually like that.) I really started questioning the existence of God after I nearly got shot in the head during my compulsory military service when I was 19 and that's when I was finally able to say: ":censored: it, there is no God."
Just to be clear, the incident wasn't the reason, it was the thinking after it. (Also thank you late Hitch.)
[+] 1 user Likes Baffomet's post
08-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Hello. My name is Eric and I live in Tennessee. I have to admit that I'm very new to Atheism and still very much in the closet about my beliefs. I live in the Bible belt where not believing in God is not acceptable.

I am on this forum in hopes that I can meet others who have gone through many of the same issues that I have in regards to religion
[+] 1 user Likes Doubting Thomas's post
08-06-2014, 07:55 PM
(08-06-2014 07:12 PM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  Hello. My name is Eric and I live in Tennessee. I have to admit that I'm very new to Atheism and still very much in the closet about my beliefs. I live in the Bible belt where not believing in God is not acceptable.

I am on this forum in hopes that I can meet others who have gone through many of the same issues that I have in regards to religion

Welcome Eric, you came to the right place.
Thumbsup
Thread Closed