Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(08-06-2014 07:55 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 07:12 PM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  Hello. My name is Eric and I live in Tennessee. I have to admit that I'm very new to Atheism and still very much in the closet about my beliefs. I live in the Bible belt where not believing in God is not acceptable.

I am on this forum in hopes that I can meet others who have gone through many of the same issues that I have in regards to religion

Welcome Eric, you came to the right place.
Thumbsup

Thank You
Find all posts by this user
08-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Hey guys. I'm a month old atheist. I'm 15 have been a sceptic my entire life. Unfortunately, basically everyone where I live in mid-ohio is religious, so i am very much in the closet.
[+] 1 user Likes XCStump's post
09-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Hello all. Been reading this forum for about a month now but have been a "non-believer" for a while now.

For a long time I labeled myself as an agnostic but refer to myself as an atheist and am open about it as well. I never really was a "believer" to begin with. I grew up in a household that did not attend church or talk about God or Jesus. My parents weren't necessarily atheists, they just did not consider it one way or the other. I guess they were atheists by default. Looking back on this, I feel quite fortunate. Blinded by belief rooted in fear is no way to go through life.

Anyway, my only brush with 'religion' being a part of my life was in a 6 year relationship I had. She was a victim of indoctrination and after we became serious she asked that I begin attending the non-denominational church that she considered home. I usually didn't want to get up early on Sunday because I enjoyed getting hammered on Saturday nights, but I began attending after a few more requests. At the time I didn't classify myself as an atheist or theist, I was like my parents being somewhat neutral by default. So I feel like I gave it an honest try. As it still is, religion is 'the norm'. At least that's how it is here in Oklahoma. If you didn't go to church or believe in God/Jesus, you were the odd man out. Honestly, I don't think I would have ever become a full blown atheist if I had never attended church for the year or so that I did with my ex. It was there that I began reading scripture, learning about Christianity, and witnessing the behaviors of 'church folk'. Like I said, I gave it a real shot, even trying to accept Jesus to dwell within my heart and be 'born again'...but it all never felt real. I felt like a hypocrite, and I felt as if I were surrounded by phonies; so I gave it up. I had to keep from laughing when the remainder of the attendees would speak in tongues, and it always struck me the wrong way watching people give their money away to the church while the pastor and his entire family drove Cadillacs and wore pricey clothes.

To sum that stint up: I never admitted to my girlfriend that I just wouldn't and couldn't believe in the God they were worshiping and I didn't think it was right the way it controlled every aspect of their lives. It was not meant to be anyway, and after a few more years of knowing we were doomed, we finally split for good. But my eyes had been opened, and this was the beginning of my exploration into the truth. The further I dug and the more I learned, the more I am flabbergasted that people still believe in the outdated stories of the bible.

I could go on for a while but I'll wrap it up here. Just finish with saying that there appear to be a lot of posters on here that are significantly smarter than me and one of my biggest problems is the ability to verbalize (or type) my thoughts when trying to express my opinions in so many of these matters, so don't be surprised if I piggy back off many of you.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
09-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Tongue RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello,

i am a 38 yr old born, raised and born again, christian. Then I read Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts because I'm interested in film making. Then quickly progressed to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Krauss and Tyson and the rest. Now I can't get enough. This feels more like being "born again" than anything else i've been through before. But, I'm not ready to commit and I want to learn more.

Thanks, see you around.
09-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Welcome, new people Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Welcome, Newbies.
Just line up single file...the cauldron is almost at boiling point Yes

[Image: witchescackle_zpse9ebd274.jpg]

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
10-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Hello! I am a 30 year old atheist. I was raised by a Lutheran mom and non-practicing Jewish father. I started refusing to attend church around age 8 or 9. I never had a de-conversion or emotional crisis about it, religion has always been meaningless bullshit to me.

I am fortunate to be married to a wonderful guy who is also an atheist. He was forced to go to church by his mom, who is very religious. We've been married less than a year and I've already offended my MIL Facepalm I'm currently plotting my takeover of "Grace" at the next Thanksgiving celebration.

I have always been "out of the closet" about being an atheist with my friends and family. I used to work in the wedding industry so I was sort of closeted about that with clients (I didn't advertise it.) Having to sit through hour long catholic ceremonies and pretending to respect the preachers/pastors was pretty nauseating. I have been yelled at by a number of church ladies, but I just quietly mock them to myself.

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this forum by so many intelligent folks. It's definitely given me some ideas and perspective on my own life, relationships, and how I relate to other people. I am also looking forward to getting to know other atheists.
[+] 1 user Likes aquagirl0720's post
10-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Hello all new people. Good to have you with us!

[Image: ctmwelcome_e0.gif]

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
10-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi All!
I'm a registered nurse (there's a whole line of story-telling regarding having to deal with believers associated with my occupation) and I live in an off-the-grid home in the Pacific Northwest. I come (originally) from a New England Catholic home which was shared with a devout Catholic (my mother) a believer for convenience (my dad) and four sisters. Dad's gone; one sister (I have nothing to do with) now classifies herself as a [Southern] Baptist; one sister believes but doesn't practice (whatever THAT means), the other two sisters remain connected to Roman Catholicism and my mother is still devout.
Fortunately for me, my mother went through what the rest of the family calls "her agnostic period" at roughly the same time I came to the realization that nothing in the catechism made any sense. That was 1968. I've never looked back and can honestly say I never believed. I even figured out Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny that same year.
My high school year book is riddled with snide "atheist" comments from my classmates. From "shaking the beliefs" of fellow submarine sailors to having epithets hurled at me by my "love your neighbor" Baptist sister to having a co-worker call me "the most spiritual atheist [he] ever met", I've heard it all.
When I joined MENSA in 1988, I thought I had found a group of people who would, in all likelihood, be of like mind. I thought, that if these people were sound thinkers, and their IQ was in the top 2% of the population, that most would understand the whole religion thing as bunk. I was wrong… or at least disillusioned. The arguments were along the lines of Stephen Jay Goould's Non-overlapping magisteriums or of simple abstinence.
Now that my home library is, at last, almost completely constructed and I can spend my time reading the books I've collected, I've re-found the allure of some atheist writers and have come to the Censored internet for fellowship. I must admit that waiting for the next monthly edition of MENSA News provided an aggravatingly protracted forum for my desire to interact with others of similar ilk.
So here I am! I'm looking forward (as well as a cynic can) to interactions with you.
10-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Well....where to begin?
I have never to my knowledge been a sheep.
I could go very much in depth about my lifelong disbelief, but I'll just merely say that I'm glad to find all the like minded people since someone told me I'd find a lot of you online if I just searched.
Well.....a few years on.....this is apparently true.
Friends and colleagues call me Scotty. My real name is William. Family call me Billy.
It's already nice to be here.
Looking forward to looking around and giving my tuppence where I feel like it.
Cool
Thread Closed