Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(10-06-2014 03:55 PM)astrosurfer Wrote:  Well....where to begin?
I have never to my knowledge been a sheep.
I could go very much in depth about my lifelong disbelief, but I'll just merely say that I'm glad to find all the like minded people since someone told me I'd find a lot of you online if I just searched.
Well.....a few years on.....this is apparently true.
Friends and colleagues call me Scotty. My real name is William. Family call me Billy.
It's already nice to be here.
Looking forward to looking around and giving my tuppence where I feel like it.
Cool

Welcome to the forum astrosurfer/Scotty/William/Billy.

Will? Willy? Bill? Scott? Surfin' W? Willy? Scotty-B? Astro-Bill? Tongue

Find all posts by this user
10-06-2014, 07:09 PM
welcome all, feel free to lurk, listen to podcasts, read the hundreds of serious threads, the thousands of silly threads, join in and share your view, ask questions if you have them, there are some really smart folks around here...I am the janitor by the way, I mop up the vomit and tears, don't you mind me a bit Wink Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
11-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Dennett, Epstein are good too.
[+] 1 user Likes AncientApe's post
11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Oops, replied to someone else's msg before introducing myself.

Atheist since before I knew the meaning of the word, despite twelve years in schools that included daily prayer. I hope there's something out there besides us (I'm a science fiction fan, that's right) but it had better not be the fairy tale I sang about at school.

Living in one of the least godly parts of the USA, but husband to one believer and father to another. Yes, it can be done.

Been chewing through books like Guns, Germs, and Steel and then Why the West Rules For Now which provide sidelights on the ways religion affects a society, and debunk some theists' claims without even meaning to.
11-06-2014, 11:07 PM
(11-06-2014 06:38 PM)AncientApe Wrote:  Oops, replied to someone else's msg before introducing myself.

Atheist since before I knew the meaning of the word, despite twelve years in schools that included daily prayer. I hope there's something out there besides us (I'm a science fiction fan, that's right) but it had better not be the fairy tale I sang about at school.

Living in one of the least godly parts of the USA, but husband to one believer and father to another. Yes, it can be done.

Been chewing through books like Guns, Germs, and Steel and then Why the West Rules For Now which provide sidelights on the ways religion affects a society, and debunk some theists' claims without even meaning to.

Hello! It's nice to meet you. Smile
[Image: ctmwelcome_e0.gif]

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
12-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Hello!

My name is Glenn and I am looking to find a community of those who are atheist, especially those who have left their former faith or religion.

Let's see if I can give my story in a nutshell.

My wife and I married in December 2006 and it was based on the fact that both of us were Christian. We got pregnant immediately through infertility treatments. Celina Joy was born on July 2007 and was very sick after she was delivered and died a horrible death (won't go into specifics here as it was quite graphic) and only lasted 35 days. We never got to bring her home. She died from heart failure due to the multiple infections she had and they just couldn't get a handle on. That was August 2007.

After Celina's passing, I was trying to be strong for my wife and thought I had dealt with her death (through my Christian faith at the time), but eight months later, I had a heart attack due to the stress of it all. I had been a Christian for 29 years. After I came home from the hospital, that first night, I slept on the couch. I called out to the Universe and said if the God I have believed in all these years or an alien life form or whatever or whoever was out there, I needed answers and I needed them now! I was quite indignant about it.

I ended up having what was like an out of body experience or that it seemed as if my consciousness expanded beyond my body and I no longer identified as me. It was as if I was everything but nothing at the same time. This could have lasted a few seconds or hours, I don't know, but it was still dark when I became aware of my body.

This really messed me up as I didn't know what I had experienced. I did a lot of research and soon found out that everything I thought I knew about life and the religion I had followed were lies. I knew I no longer followed any religion, but it wasn't until a few months ago after reading some books by atheists, I realize that I am one.

My wife still follows her Christian faith, although she is angry with God. I no longer believe there is a god, as I just can't find the evidence.

Anyway, this is my story in a nutshell. Glad that I found a group that I can relate to.
[+] 3 users Like glennryan61's post
12-06-2014, 09:33 AM
(12-06-2014 08:53 AM)glennryan61 Wrote:  ...
Anyway, this is my story in a nutshell. Glad that I found a group that I can relate to.

Wow! That was a helluva intro!

Welcome aboard, Glenn. Join in with any subject that suits.

I think you'll find quite a few here who can relate to your experiences (well, some of them).

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-06-2014, 01:36 PM
(12-06-2014 08:53 AM)glennryan61 Wrote:  Hello!

My name is Glenn and I am looking to find a community of those who are atheist, especially those who have left their former faith or religion.

Let's see if I can give my story in a nutshell.

My wife and I married in December 2006 and it was based on the fact that both of us were Christian. We got pregnant immediately through infertility treatments. Celina Joy was born on July 2007 and was very sick after she was delivered and died a horrible death (won't go into specifics here as it was quite graphic) and only lasted 35 days. We never got to bring her home. She died from heart failure due to the multiple infections she had and they just couldn't get a handle on. That was August 2007.

After Celina's passing, I was trying to be strong for my wife and thought I had dealt with her death (through my Christian faith at the time), but eight months later, I had a heart attack due to the stress of it all. I had been a Christian for 29 years. After I came home from the hospital, that first night, I slept on the couch. I called out to the Universe and said if the God I have believed in all these years or an alien life form or whatever or whoever was out there, I needed answers and I needed them now! I was quite indignant about it.

I ended up having what was like an out of body experience or that it seemed as if my consciousness expanded beyond my body and I no longer identified as me. It was as if I was everything but nothing at the same time. This could have lasted a few seconds or hours, I don't know, but it was still dark when I became aware of my body.

This really messed me up as I didn't know what I had experienced. I did a lot of research and soon found out that everything I thought I knew about life and the religion I had followed were lies. I knew I no longer followed any religion, but it wasn't until a few months ago after reading some books by atheists, I realize that I am one.

My wife still follows her Christian faith, although she is angry with God. I no longer believe there is a god, as I just can't find the evidence.

welcome! you and I have had similar experiences. There is a thread called tell your deconversion story, or somethng close to that, there is a lot of good stories there...and some sad ones, but enlightenment is always a good thing. Good to meet ya, and enjoy the forum

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
14-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Jorge and I'm a reasonable thinking person and I've joined to ask a question that I never heard anyone talking about. But just have to find the right thread.
Oh, and I still believe there is a God but I don't subscribe to the usual arguments about that issue.
14-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Wink RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello, I am new here. I am from a Muslim family, living in Pakistan. When I first read about evolution in school I was pretty confused because it was completely against everything our religion tells us. So I started doubting our holy book and the existence of a god and by the age of 16 I realized I wont be able to adjust to religion without any proof of god. I didnt start deeper studies of science at that time, I was just laying low, not believing in god but also not trying to find answers on my own. Its only about a year ago when I started reading the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and it made me laugh while when I used to tell those sarcastic quotes to my friends they would be offended instead of pausing and reflecting. Then I watched Stephen Hawking's show on nat geo, curiosity was the name I think. Well it really inspired me and thats when I realized that if there really is a god it may as well be science. My mother is very cool with all of this though, she told me to go and research as much as I want to and she likes to hear whatever new thing I learn every night. But I needed like-minded people from whom I can learn more and luckily I found this site. I have so many questions, do tell me where should I post my questions to because I have no idea how this place works Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Anna's post
Thread Closed