RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Happy Birthday, KR!
Nice to have you posting again Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
26-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
(25-06-2014 09:13 PM)aurora Wrote:  Happy Birthday, KR!
Nice to have you posting again Thumbsup

Thnx!
26-06-2014, 08:34 PM
hi. i'm jane and my husband is jim - hence thejays... we're too lazy to have 2 separate accounts and he might never post here because he's all content in his atheism but i still have issues and want some interaction with other peeps seeking to figure things out.

i come from a religious background but i never fit and at 49, i'm trying to figure myself out. i live in the Bible belt and i don't enjoy being disrespectful of others beliefs, but at the same time i need to be able to step away from my parents beliefs and embrace what i think and feel. i have tried for years to embrace Christianity but after a 9 mo Bible study class, i gave it up. ONE: it was unbelievable and TWO: i couldn't worship a higher being who perpetuated so much horror. with that realization, i gave up and have floundered but would like to find a group to help me find some stability in my new nonreligious world. i've been searching for good reading material and would welcome any suggestions. i like things that are easy to read and not hostile. i'm not sure if there's much of that out there. *le sigh*
[+] 2 users Like thejays's post
27-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
(26-06-2014 08:34 PM)thejays Wrote:  hi. i'm jane and my husband is jim - hence thejays... we're too lazy to have 2 separate accounts and he might never post here because he's all content in his atheism but i still have issues and want some interaction with other peeps seeking to figure things out.

i come from a religious background but i never fit and at 49, i'm trying to figure myself out. i live in the Bible belt and i don't enjoy being disrespectful of others beliefs, but at the same time i need to be able to step away from my parents beliefs and embrace what i think and feel. i have tried for years to embrace Christianity but after a 9 mo Bible study class, i gave it up. ONE: it was unbelievable and TWO: i couldn't worship a higher being who perpetuated so much horror. with that realization, i gave up and have floundered but would like to find a group to help me find some stability in my new nonreligious world. i've been searching for good reading material and would welcome any suggestions. i like things that are easy to read and not hostile. i'm not sure if there's much of that out there. *le sigh*

Welcome, Jane!
28-06-2014, 01:08 AM
My name's Justin. I guess I've been an Atheist for a while, although I finally said it aloud about 4 months ago. I recently told the family (parents and they spread the word to siblings) and things are still a little weird. It definitely changed things. I find myself to be a much happier person now though. Actually happier than I've ever been. I feel like I am truly myself. Oh, I'm an ex-Catholic by the way!
[+] 1 user Likes BlackSheepJip's post
30-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Which area of linguistic morphology are you interested in and which uni are u planning to do your phd in?

(31-08-2010 09:26 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I'm a nineteen-year-old (twenty in less than two weeks) American student that's currently studying abroad in Japan. I plan on pursuing a Ph.D in Linguistic Morphology. I love playing music, especially the drums, and would love to get into a professional band at some point in my life. =P I tend to get into something (usually a video game universe) with all of my being, then bore of it a few weeks later and move onto something else.
30-06-2014, 04:58 AM
(30-06-2014 04:43 AM)SuicideJean Wrote:  Which area of linguistic morphology are you interested in and which uni are u planning to do your phd in?

(31-08-2010 09:26 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I'm a nineteen-year-old (twenty in less than two weeks) American student that's currently studying abroad in Japan. I plan on pursuing a Ph.D in Linguistic Morphology. I love playing music, especially the drums, and would love to get into a professional band at some point in my life. =P I tend to get into something (usually a video game universe) with all of my being, then bore of it a few weeks later and move onto something else.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Pro-tip. Have a look at the date of the post to which you are replying.

A response to a nearly 4-year-old post is unlikely to get a reaction.

Feel free to reply to newer posts... any of them.

Thumbsup

30-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Hi. I'm a 35 years old guy from Italy. I landed on this forum by chance a couple of days ago while searching for something else (about philosophy of mind) and enjoyed several of the threads of the Philosophy forum, so I decided to sign in. I'm also quite of an atheist by the way, or ignostic, or call me what you want, or I-wouldn't-care-to-define-myself-in-any-way-weren't-religion-so-invasive.
[+] 1 user Likes Plic's post
30-06-2014, 08:40 AM
(30-06-2014 05:45 AM)Plic Wrote:  Hi. I'm a 35 years old guy from Italy. I landed on this forum by chance a couple of days ago while searching for something else (about philosophy of mind) and enjoyed several of the threads of the Philosophy forum, so I decided to sign in. I'm also quite of an atheist by the way, or ignostic, or call me what you want, or I-wouldn't-care-to-define-myself-in-any-way-weren't-religion-so-invasive.

Welcome to the forum.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Just joining The Thinking Atheist but have never been religious in my adult life. I'm an atmospheric scientist with MS from the University of Utah, seems conflicting I know. BA from Berkeley, is that better?

I'm interested in the awe of our universe. Discovering what's real is so much more satisfying and intellectual than just making up stories. And being a science activist in today's world is important lest we allow the fundamentalists to take over (as is happening in Iraq right now). Don't think it can't happen in the USA, it can.

In my next post I'll reference a science video I just finished, but for now just an intro.
Thread Closed