Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-07-2014, 10:15 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Just dropping in to say hi. British atheist and humanist and beverage consumer Wink.

Aspiring youtuber, also sing in a gospel choir (don't run away - atheists are allowed in and not preached to or at). Sports fan, metal health campaigner (in a small way), oddball and folkie.

Anything else just ask Smile
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Welcome Doug and CT,

A question for both of you...

Does climate change mean that warm British beer will become a universal moral standard?

Welcome aboard, guys.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-07-2014, 02:17 PM
(26-06-2014 08:34 PM)thejays Wrote:  hi. i'm jane and my husband is jim - hence thejays... we're too lazy to have 2 separate accounts and he might never post here because he's all content in his atheism but i still have issues and want some interaction with other peeps seeking to figure things out.

i come from a religious background but i never fit and at 49, i'm trying to figure myself out. i live in the Bible belt and i don't enjoy being disrespectful of others beliefs, but at the same time i need to be able to step away from my parents beliefs and embrace what i think and feel. i have tried for years to embrace Christianity but after a 9 mo Bible study class, i gave it up. ONE: it was unbelievable and TWO: i couldn't worship a higher being who perpetuated so much horror. with that realization, i gave up and have floundered but would like to find a group to help me find some stability in my new nonreligious world. i've been searching for good reading material and would welcome any suggestions. i like things that are easy to read and not hostile. i'm not sure if there's much of that out there. *le sigh*

Welcome Jim and Jane,
Have you ever read George Bernard Shaw's "Why I am not a Christian"? My personal favorite is Thomas Paine's "Age of Reason". There are a ton of other books out there, but these are easy to read and (relatively) non-confrontational.
Regards,
Doc
01-07-2014, 04:39 PM
(01-07-2014 10:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome Doug and CT,

A question for both of you...

Does climate change mean that warm British beer will become a universal moral standard?

Welcome aboard, guys.

I hope so Wink
01-07-2014, 05:12 PM
I am Venerable Rinpoche Chodak. I was born Patrick Henry, and I live in California. There I became a Buddhist, disciple of the Living Buddha and Primordial Vajradhara H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. http://www.truebuddhadharma.org/ There you can learn more about this great man and his work. I was recognized by His Holiness that I am a Rinpoche, or a reincarnated Dharma King. I, of course being Buddhist, am an atheist and therefore believe in no Gods at all.
01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Though I mantain that HH Dorje Chang Buddha III is the wisest and most powerful Buddha that ever lived, as without him there would be no Buddhism.
02-07-2014, 02:48 AM
My name is Joe and I'm from California. I'm a pastors kid, now in my 30's, and I'm also an atheist. I grew up as a Lutheran, and kept trying to have my own personal revelation that never happened. I attended other protestant churches but wasn't getting any revelations there either. In my early 20's I started learning about cosmology and became fascinated with the subject. This led to becoming more interested in other sciences, such as biology, and history. The more truth's I learned the more I realized why I wasn't getting any personal revelations from God, he didn't exist. Carl Segans Cosmos was the final straw that pushed me into accepting myself as an atheist. His question, "where did god come from" was such a powerful monologue, that I never again questioned the existance of a god.

I look forward to reading through the archives of the forum and maybe getting to know some of you better.
02-07-2014, 05:56 AM
To all the new people...

[Image: original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1]

...hope you enjoy your stay. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 10:21 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(01-07-2014 05:12 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  I am Venerable Rinpoche Chodak.

What are you qualifications as a cleric?

Quote:I was born Patrick Henry, and I live in California. There I became a Buddhist, disciple of the Living Buddha and Primordial Vajradhara H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. http://www.truebuddhadharma.org/ There you can learn more about this great man and his work. I was recognized by His Holiness that I am a Rinpoche, or a reincarnated Dharma King. I, of course being Buddhist, am an atheist and therefore believe in no Gods at all.

Reincarnated Dharma King, huh? Sounds fancy.

(01-07-2014 05:49 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Though I mantain that HH Dorje Chang Buddha III is the wisest and most powerful Buddha that ever lived, as without him there would be no Buddhism.

[citation needed]

Drinking Beverage

Welcome to the Snake Pit.

Dodgy

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Chris and I just joined this forum. I am wondering about religion and the world right now and I am somewhat bored and it is summer so I guess I came by to talk around.
Thread Closed