Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
11-07-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
My name is Dean and I was raised a born again christian. I was a worship leader at teen challenge ,one of the biggest drug rehabs in the world.I also went to Love Church from grades 1 through 8th and was deeply mind fucked by the christian church.The thing i saw were mind blowing you wouldn't believe me if i told you and after all that i remained a christian up infill i heard the thinking atheist .It has changed my life and already am getting horrible response from family,that data has ahold of me now!! HELPGasp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes america's post
12-07-2014, 11:06 PM
This is a FIRST for me - so pardon me if I make any mistakes. I live in Alaska, am 57 yoa and have been an atheist all of my life, although I was raised roman catholic, was made to attend catholic school from 1st thru 6th grade, attended mass 6 days/wk, attended catechism during jr. high - never bought into it but felt helpless to do or say anything about it. As an adult, I am finally free. It's nice to connect to others. Love these podcasts and am loving this website.
13-07-2014, 05:43 AM
(12-07-2014 11:06 PM)ninilchiken Wrote:  This is a FIRST for me - so pardon me if I make any mistakes. I live in Alaska, am 57 yoa and have been an atheist all of my life, although I was raised roman catholic, was made to attend catholic school from 1st thru 6th grade, attended mass 6 days/wk, attended catechism during jr. high - never bought into it but felt helpless to do or say anything about it. As an adult, I am finally free. It's nice to connect to others. Love these podcasts and am loving this website.

Welcome, dive in.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2014, 08:04 AM
(13-07-2014 05:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome, dive in.

That's what she said.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Greetings fellow heathens! I pass much of my time at work listening to atheist podcasts. The Thinking Atheist is my favorite, but I also enjoy Reasonable Doubts and Freethought Radio. I thought it time to join a discussion board and actually participate in the conversation.

I was raised Catholic and took it seriously. In my late teens I gave up the Catholic doctrine, but still believed in a God and Jesus. Eventually my religious views became even more liberal and I studied Buddhism for a couple of years. I'm afraid I don't have a dramatic deconversion story; my road to atheism was casual. It wasn't until after 9/11 that I became interested in atheism as a subject and movement. In addition to the threat of Islamic extremists, I was also very disturbed by the rise of religiosity in America in response to it.

Now at 40, I enjoy life with classical music, art, and philosophy. Our fellow humans have given us much to enjoy and explore - no gods needed.

“Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
[+] 2 users Like Schopey's post
14-07-2014, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2014 11:14 AM by Ray Butler.)
I'm Ray, 35, from Sydney Australia. I tend to do Atheism better than Atheists although I wouldn't categorise myself as one, it just helps that I do because people will misinterpret me otherwise.

I think there is a distinct difference between Atheism and Anti-Theism, something I think people should acknowledge. As an Atheist I have found Theology to simply not apply to my circumstances and have moved on into fields of knowledge that I do find relevant, such as behavioural psychology and political science.

I find an Anti-Theist is an Atheist that hasn't really moved on into relevant fields and spends their time addressing what people believe rather than understanding why people believe. I say Know Thine Enemy, and it tends to be ourselves more often than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Ray Butler's post
14-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Welcome aboard Ray and Schopey. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi my name is Byron Skoretz
Same, I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and it appeared that there was no "one thread" for members to do so.

I'm Byron and left the SDA Church in 1988. I did not throw out a god - however, I did throw out a Christ figure. I listened to 90% of the podcasts and several times - as I work from home. Where is the holy spirit in all this dialogue? How does this concept not fit in? Interested.

My family and friends that remained in this Church still completely embrace me and vice versa. It is simply love and respect for one another. Clearly human nature can transcend our differences and I am living this type of balanced lifestyle.

There is no question, that in my life I firmly believe that religions have destroyed the world. However, I am still struggling that there is no god / process. Perhaps evolution is "god." Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Looking forward, Byron
[/size][/font]
15-07-2014, 12:01 AM
(14-07-2014 07:51 PM)Byron Wrote:  There is no question, that in my life I firmly believe that religions have destroyed the world. However, I am still struggling that there is no god / process. Perhaps evolution is "god." Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Hi Byron Smile Welcome to the forum.

Evolution as God huh? er... is this just so that there's something bigger to worship? 'Cos once you get past the idea that your life must be controlled by something bigger than you in order for it to have meaning... it becomes a lot more fun Smile

Of course our lives *are* kinda circumscribed by stuff like how much money we can make and stupid shit like that, but the nice thing is, *there's no holy motherfucker in charge of the whole exercise*. Which means, that we are free to follow our *own* plans, and not God's so called perfect one Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Hi, im an atheist from the uk, currently waiting on a level results and hoping to go to university in september.
Thread Closed