Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
15-07-2014, 07:20 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome Simmo, fellow Brit.

I noticed in your profile that your date of birth is 'unspecified'.

Now, let me guess... if only I had some clues ... 'A' levels Consider

Find all posts by this user
15-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Welcome Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
16-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I grew up in an off and on again apostolic Christian family. I became an evangelical Christian at age 17 and deconverted in my late twenties/early thirties. I was a very active member of my faith, becoming a short term missionary and attending seminary before I broke away.

Currently, I am a middle school science teacher in the greater Seattle area. My current community has a large majority of Christians. I do not advertise my atheism for many reasons, some of the good, some of them probably not. With my students and their parents, my concern is that they will tune out everything I have to say if I let them know what I believe. I also have a rule about not arguing with crazy people. I consider most religious people to be crazy--in that they are not rationally thinking.

I don't have much contact with my natural family, but the family who rescued me from them in my late teens is still a big part of my life. They are still evangelical Christians. The husband is dying, most likely, in the hospital right now after liver surgery. I have been down to visit them twice in the last 4 months. It is very hard. He was a minister. He married my husband and myself. There is NO ONE in that set of extended family and friends who is not a Christian. They know that I am not. They do not try to reconvert me, but the gulf I perceive between myself and them is sometimes palpable.

Thanks
16-07-2014, 03:01 PM
(16-07-2014 10:28 AM)twillsheep Wrote:  They know that I am not. They do not try to reconvert me, but the gulf I perceive between myself and them is sometimes palpable.

Sad Yeah that's one of the sucky aspects of religion - we who are friendly with those on the inside... feel shut out sometimes...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi to everyone. I am a construction worker living in Perth, Western Australia. I work in the oil/ gas industry.
"Living the Dream" and riding my Harley.
Looking for a forum that I can share thoughts and converse with like minded people.
Atheist, Godless, Damned.... whatever. Thats me.
16-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Hello, all!

I'm 44 and live in Bullhead City, AZ. I think I'm the lone atheist here. LOL

Raised Southern Baptist in VA. Never really considered myself religious, but I was a believer until several years ago when I began to really question it. Migrated over to the whole "Universe Provides" thing for a while and then finally realized atheists were right about pretty much everything in regards to religion about a year or so ago and finally claimed myself as one.
17-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Hello all!
Well after following TTA on YT for years I've finally directed my browser to this website and registered. I have been an atheist since birth (58 years ago); I was the only child of atheist parents. I remember all the cartoons I watched as a kid; one of them was a claymation religious tv series titled Davey and Goliath, where Davey was a small boy and Goliath was his talking dog (though Davey was the only one that could hear Goliath talk).

I remember the series creeped me out a little, just like The Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond did, and even though at the age of five /six I didn't understand the entire story I did like the 'spooky' experience of watching the show. Just like the other cartoons and programs I watched as a preschooler, I knew Davey and Goliath was make-believe.

So I was completely taken by surprise when, in the first grade, the most popular girls on the playground went to every boy and asked "Do you believe in god?"
I answered innocently "No it's just a cartoon" and "It's make-believe" and immediately became the center of attention, and not in a good way. I was called the devil, a god hater, and even "a communist that hates America" by other first graders.
Welcome to freedom from religion, hey?

Long story short, I spent the next ten years 'observing' before I came out to everyone in high school that I was not only an atheist, but an antitheist. Hardcore in-your-face antitheism.

I'm a lot mellower now, with a grown atheist daughter and two atheist grandchildren in high school themselves. I'm very happy that the grandkids have realized the potency of skepticism in their lives; both are in advanced scientific and engineering college programs in high school and look forward to rewarding careers.

I hope to contribute to these forums in unique ways; I've been working on a nonfiction book for nearly forever and may try out some of my ideas here.
Before i do, I'm going to enjoy going through these forums to see what I've been missing.

And Seth, you rock, my friend! Don't ever stop!
[+] 2 users Like cyref's post
18-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Hello my good friends...I'm new to this life but it feels right to me. I appreciate all of you for your insight, humor, and empathy to those of shedding the cocoons. hopefully I can gain wisdom from yall and help other ppl who will someday be in the position I am in now.
19-07-2014, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure I ever did say hello in this particular thread.

So anyway ... Hey.
19-07-2014, 01:06 AM
Hi, I am a 39 year old married man with two kids, two dogs, two cats and two cars. I was raised Christian and 2 of my four siblings remind me regularly that I am personally going to hell and that I am abusing my children by not brainwashing them. Both of these siblings married and divorced and remarried against what their bible says, but hey, we can pretend that didn't happen since that must be what they do. My wife was raised Jewish and neither of us were particularly religious or nonreligious when we met 17 years ago. My wife is now agnostic and I am Atheist. Lately, I have found myself getting angry with the ridiculousness of all religions. I cannot fathom how an otherwise rational and intelligent adult can say they believe in and abide by (hypocritically) a book that is so obviously a man-made fantastical fantasy story at best. I don't advertise my beliefs but if asked I identify as an atheist to anybody. I am irritated that we live in a world that has the technology to see the truth about so much and still have the majority of people in modern America believe in a story that was made up in a time when people didn't know any better. Now we do, so it's time to move on. Any who, I am Joshua Joesph, nice to meet you! PS....If my name doesn't scream raised Christian nothing does.
[+] 1 user Likes nobs_notes's post
Thread Closed