Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-08-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(01-08-2014 01:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 12:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Lots of new members. Liking that.

Kitty... ask away... we are here to serve Big Grin

Mine's a margharita. Thanks Deej Smile

I figured you for a Hawaiian kinda guy but OK...
[Image: pizza-margarita-enlarged.png]

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Wow - lots of new people!
There's always enough room.

Welcome. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
01-08-2014, 02:53 PM
(01-08-2014 02:18 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 01:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  Mine's a margharita. Thanks Deej Smile

I figured you for a Hawaiian kinda guy but OK...
[Image: pizza-margarita-enlarged.png]

I thought I was ordering a drink. Oh well. Pizza will do Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I was born and raised in Puerto Rico in a practicing Catholic family. Attended catholic school and never missed Sunday mass while living with my parents! As long as I remember, I never felt comfortable with religion but never put much thought into it until much later in life. My de-convertion was a slow and long process. But I finally made it through. I feel free!! TTA played a key role in this process. The TTA FB page helped me in my early research on the subject. For over a year now, I have been listening to Seth's podcasts on my way to/from work. Thanks TTA, thanks Seth!
[+] 3 users Like 4everyoung's post
02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Mmmm I like it in here already , I was just looking for some info about the Lost Theory festival and a thread opened the door for me ! Cheers
[+] 1 user Likes Ganja's post
02-08-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm Brett, not sure that 'atheist' applies as much as 'agnostic'. I don't rule out the possibility of superior-to-human intelligences of any kind, and I'm still find of Anselm's ontological proof of a deity, only because I tremble to think that I myself could be the greatest thing that exists. Surely, there must be something else, and hopefully, smarter than I am... but maybe that's just hoping; it certainly isn't knowing... and back again we are to a + gnostice, lack of knowing...
The thing is I am a former pastor... I always have struggled with the 'faith' however, and once the wife left with the kids, the last shreds started falling away. I feel I may have damaged many minds be filling them with godgoop; I do hope they can forgive me. I don't feel animosity towards people of faith; who knows, maybe they know something I don't; I do ask that they and anyone else who wishes to communicate with me, will respect my own views and opinions or my lack of them. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes brett1974's post
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
(02-08-2014 09:44 PM)brett1974 Wrote:  I'm Brett, not sure that 'atheist' applies as much as 'agnostic'. I don't rule out the possibility of superior-to-human intelligences of any kind, and I'm still find of Anselm's ontological proof of a deity, only because I tremble to think that I myself could be the greatest thing that exists. Surely, there must be something else, and hopefully, smarter than I am... but maybe that's just hoping; it certainly isn't knowing... and back again we are to a + gnostice, lack of knowing...
The thing is I am a former pastor... I always have struggled with the 'faith' however, and once the wife left with the kids, the last shreds started falling away. I feel I may have damaged many minds be filling them with godgoop; I do hope they can forgive me. I don't feel animosity towards people of faith; who knows, maybe they know something I don't; I do ask that they and anyone else who wishes to communicate with me, will respect my own views and opinions or my lack of them. Smile

If by the "greatest thing to ever exist" you mean humans, I take exception. If you deny gods but still see humans at the top of some imaginary "evolutionary ladder", "chain of being" or hierarchical list, you are still buying into the general theist view of the universe. God on top, then humans (often with a hierarchy within that group), and all the other inhabitants of the Earth below. This view, even when abandoning the godhead, still accepts the concept of superiority of one group over another, and all the horrible things that result from that mindset, -racism, sexism, colonialism and worst of all speciesism.

I do feel animosity toward "believers" who use their religion to justify acts of cruelty. I also care little for the "believers" who work to silence atheists and even promote new laws that would make it a criminal offense to criticize any religion or religious leader.
03-08-2014, 03:37 PM
(01-08-2014 02:14 PM)naffonso Wrote:  Howdy!

I'm NĂ­colas, chemical engineer, and I was born, raised and currently live in a place deep inside the Amazon Jungle called Manaus. Don't worry, it's a large city with 2 million people or so. We have electricity.

I started looking for good audios to listen in my everyday commute, and started out with audiobooks, but that didn't last long. My iPod is an old model and it's all messed up, I couldn't make audiobooks work on it. Anyway, that's when I found out about podcasts. An atheist cousin of mine (who helped me during my deconvertion) mentioned The thinking atheist, the atheist experience and Dogma debate. I have tried the last two but Seth's voice seduces me in such a way that I just won't listen to other things.

And today I found out about the forum.

Welcome NĂ­colas! Were you watching any of the World Cup? Or is that something that doesn't interest you? Anyway, just wanted to say welcome! Tongue
03-08-2014, 03:40 PM
(03-08-2014 11:36 AM)atheistsince1950 Wrote:  
(02-08-2014 09:44 PM)brett1974 Wrote:  I'm Brett, not sure that 'atheist' applies as much as 'agnostic'. I don't rule out the possibility of superior-to-human intelligences of any kind, and I'm still find of Anselm's ontological proof of a deity, only because I tremble to think that I myself could be the greatest thing that exists. Surely, there must be something else, and hopefully, smarter than I am... but maybe that's just hoping; it certainly isn't knowing... and back again we are to a + gnostice, lack of knowing...

If by the "greatest thing to ever exist" you mean humans, I take exception. If you deny gods but still see humans at the top of some imaginary "evolutionary ladder", "chain of being" or hierarchical list, you are still buying into the general theist view of the universe. God on top, then humans (often with a hierarchy within that group), and all the other inhabitants of the Earth below. This view, even when abandoning the godhead, still accepts the concept of superiority of one group over another, and all the horrible things that result from that mindset, -racism, sexism, colonialism and worst of all speciesism.

I do feel animosity toward "believers" who use their religion to justify acts of cruelty. I also care little for the "believers" who work to silence atheists and even promote new laws that would make it a criminal offense to criticize any religion or religious leader.

This is an introduction and welcome thread. Please have the courtesy to wait until people have wandered out into the forum before you start debating them. Thank you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Hello all,
My friends call me cupcake and I've been becoming more vocal about my atheism in recent years. I've enjoyed reading on this site and no longer join in group prayers anywhere or hide the fact that I am an atheist--which often produces odd results where I live in the Southern US Bible Belt. It's so refreshing to read about other people talking of the atheist worldview.
[+] 1 user Likes cupcake's post
Thread Closed