Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-08-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(04-08-2014 02:46 PM)cupcake Wrote:  Hello all,
My friends call me cupcake and I've been becoming more vocal about my atheism in recent years. I've enjoyed reading on this site and no longer join in group prayers anywhere or hide the fact that I am an atheist--which often produces odd results where I live in the Southern US Bible Belt. It's so refreshing to read about other people talking of the atheist worldview.

Welcome, cupcake.Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Welcome to all our new members Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2014, 07:12 PM
ooooh I LOVE cupcakes! Drooling

[Image: hv6j38.jpg]

Welcome! Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-08-2014, 11:04 PM
21 y/o Korean guy, it's been a year since I've left Christianity, used to be that guy that went to church 3-4 times a week, read the bible every single day, listened to Christian rock and made a big fuss when you used God's name in vain.

It was a brutal and long trip out, a lot of praying to avoid doubt and to stay faithful, but self honesty and reason won out in the end.

Devangelizing has become a major preoccupation of mine and I really want to help those on the fence about their faith not relapse into religion again.

Cheers Tongue
[+] 2 users Like donlee600's post
04-08-2014, 11:24 PM
(04-08-2014 11:04 PM)donlee600 Wrote:  21 y/o Korean guy, it's been a year since I've left Christianity, used to be that guy that went to church 3-4 times a week, read the bible every single day, listened to Christian rock and made a big fuss when you used God's name in vain.

It was a brutal and long trip out, a lot of praying to avoid doubt and to stay faithful, but self honesty and reason won out in the end.

Devangelizing has become a major preoccupation of mine and I really want to help those on the fence about their faith not relapse into religion again.

Cheers Tongue

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi,

I'm a long time skeptic who has finally recognized the reality that atheism is the only rational stance to take. I was raised in an open and affirming congregation in the UCC but never took religion too seriously. I attended a Jesuit university for its acclaimed science program and was compelled to take 3 theology classes that really showed me that religion is just a sociological construct. Today, I'm a high school biology teacher who does my absolute best to ensure that my students leave my class understanding how science works and the beauty of evolution.
[+] 1 user Likes cagales's post
05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
(05-08-2014 10:39 AM)cagales Wrote:  Hi,

I'm a long time skeptic who has finally recognized the reality that atheism is the only rational stance to take. I was raised in an open and affirming congregation in the UCC but never took religion too seriously. I attended a Jesuit university for its acclaimed science program and was compelled to take 3 theology classes that really showed me that religion is just a sociological construct. Today, I'm a high school biology teacher who does my absolute best to ensure that my students leave my class understanding how science works and the beauty of evolution.

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-08-2014, 04:56 PM
welcome cagales and donlee, you seem like you will be welcome additions to the forum, stay awhile, soak up the logic Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a 15-year-old American atheist living in a Christian household. I had been brought up religious, but always asked questions the church I attended just couldn't seem to answer. I finally lost my faith and came out to my family this year, with unpleasant results, as expected. After failing again and again to get my own family, siblings, friends, etc. to understand me I finally came here, a place where I can freely express my lack of belief and possibly engage in some friendly conversations with other atheists.

Other than an interest in discussing religion, I enjoy learning about the natural world and have a passion for art and stories. I draw often, and enjoy a variety of entertaining tv shows. I look forward to joining in this site's discussions as well as chatting with others on here . For now I guess that's about all you need to know about me Smile
[+] 3 users Like A Female Free of Faith's post
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Hey, everyone. This is actually the first time I've found a forum worth adding to. I found TTA podcast about a month ago and quickly fell in love with the subject matter and following it has. For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm not the only Atheist/Humanist in my area and I hope to use this site to find many like-minded individuals close to me; and maybe even make a few friends.
The hardest thing about living in Texas is most people automatically assume you're religious - usually Christian - and it commonly makes for awkward conversation when I have to politely explain that I'm not religious in anyway. Around here, it seems like everyone's default setting is to "pray about it."
Well, that isn't me. I don't seek guidance from a being that I can't see or hear. I don't believe in miracles or faith-healing, angels or demons; and I don't see the point in taking everything "on faith" when it is clear to see that there can almost always be a more logical and rational explanation found.
Growing up, I was always taught that this is not a mystical, magical world we live in. There's no Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster, Ghosts, mythical thunder gods, or Psychics. I was taught, however, to believe in invisible demons that live in my head, the previous existence of giants, and a man parted the Red Sea. I eventually realized that people of faith don't want you to believe in myths and legends; unless they are their myths and legends.
It can be a lonely world without some feeling of community. Here's to finding community here at TTA.
Cheers!
[+] 1 user Likes HulkFearingMan's post
Thread Closed