Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2014, 06:02 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am a 39 year old Mom and teacher from the U.S. I have always, always had questions, doubts, etc. regarding Christianity. I am extremely curious and love history, researching, science, and FACTS. This site has intrigued me enough to join, which is a first for me.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes NoRuprecht's post
12-08-2014, 12:13 AM
Hi,

I'm Niels. Born in 1980 into a Dutch free thinker's household. No one in my direct surroundings seemed to be religious (nobody ever brought up religious topics in conversation) and my primary school never brought it up either. My secondary school offered an optional course called "World's religions" but seeing as it would have taken up my precious spare time, I did not become too interested in that either.

Then in 1998 came my first opportunity to vote. I decided to take this very seriously and started to inform myself on the political ideals of each involved party and their candidates. As it turned out, I found that quite a few of them held views that didn't make any sort of rational sense to me when it came to the well being of both myself and our country as a whole. So I started delving into why that was and the more I did this, the more interested and engaged I became. Thus I found out how much in politics could be influenced by certain religious viewpoints. This made me want to learn a lot more about the religions involved and thus I started reading the Bible, the Torah, the Qu'ran, the tennants of Jainism and other religious texts. I guess mostly out of a need to understand why people would chose to live according to certain rules and principles.

Trying to make sense of it all, I stumbled upon the works of both proponents and critics of religious views. It was all very interesting but in some cases though, also a cause for grave concern. I've come to this forum to be both informed and to inform others about subjects tied to religion. Hopefully you'll enjoy my company; I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy yours.

Cheers!
[+] 1 user Likes Niels's post
12-08-2014, 12:39 AM
(10-08-2014 10:02 AM)HulkFearingMan Wrote:  Hey, everyone. This is actually the first time I've found a forum worth adding to.

Me too. Problem is, once your here, they don't let you leave Weeping

Welcome

12-08-2014, 12:40 AM
(11-08-2014 06:02 AM)NoRuprecht Wrote:  I am a 39 year old Mom and teacher from the U.S. I have always, always had questions, doubts, etc. regarding Christianity. I am extremely curious and love history, researching, science, and FACTS. This site has intrigued me enough to join, which is a first for me.

A plethora of moms here (and a few mums too). Glad you found us. Thumbsup

12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
(12-08-2014 12:13 AM)Niels Wrote:  ...
Hopefully you'll enjoy my company; I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy yours.

Well Consider not all of ours, I'll bet Big Grin

Welcome aboard, sir.

12-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone. I am a married, 33 year old father of 3. I am an atheist who is trying to find his voice and get involved in some sort of activism. I am located in western Arkansas (Fort Smith area for anyone else who might be from around here). I look forward to meeting and having discussions with like-minded people. Cheers!
12-08-2014, 05:26 PM
(12-08-2014 05:19 PM)@heist Wrote:  Hello everyone. I am a married, 33 year old father of 3. I am an atheist who is trying to find his voice and get involved in some sort of activism. I am located in western Arkansas (Fort Smith area for anyone else who might be from around here). I look forward to meeting and having discussions with like-minded people. Cheers!

Welcome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-08-2014, 01:34 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Phil

I had a weak atheist upbringing and for most of my life I have probably been something of a (weak) agnostic atheist, although in the last decade have had experiences and insights that have caused me to step back from all labels when talking about myself.

My present position is essentially an Integral meta-perspective which holds that theism and atheism are both just relative human perspectives, and that both of these perspectives contain truth, but can also contain untruth.

I'm here to explore though debate and discussion the idea that the valid insights of both of these human perspectives can be meaningfully integrated such that they don't contradict.

Phil
13-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Approaching 68 and have been retired a couple of years. I myself had no church upbringing at all but my wife grew up in the Lutheran Church. Started going to Church regularly with my wife after we married. Increasingly reluctant in attending but when I go I often am glad I did.

Don’t consider myself atheist but not comfortable with church dogma and with stories that just don’t add up scientifically or morally. I think there is something in the accounts of Jesus ministry that needs to be heard out in the world. Also feel the fellowship of the church is important for helping people in the community.

Curious to see what other have experienced and how they relate these experiences to their beliefs.
13-08-2014, 01:41 PM
(13-08-2014 01:34 AM)phil.a Wrote:  I'm here to explore though debate and discussion the idea that the valid insights of both of these human perspectives can be meaningfully integrated such that they don't contradict.

Welcome Phil, integrating theistic/atheistic perspectives can get quite messy, I give you this as an example: Why I don't believe in atheism

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Thread Closed