Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
18-07-2011, 12:57 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome Nicho,

Highlight of my life as a Christian: I once prayed every night for a year to prevent Saddamn Hussein from launching chemical weapons at the UK, and it worked, but of course I later learned he never had them at all. I see that as God listening to me and changing time so he never had any. You're welcome.

Let me be the first to thank you for saving the world from absolute devastation.
Also it would be funny if when you died you went to heaven and god said "So, I fixed the whole chemical weapons thing then you go all atheist on me... hows that for thanks."

You seem to have an entertaining sense of humor so I hope to see some of your comments and threads in the future.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Mr Woof
(18-07-2011 12:52 PM)Nicho Wrote:  Good evening everyone. I blacked out somewhere in the back alleys of the internet and when I came to, I was here. And, seeing as I am, I may as well regale you with anecdotes.

As the name suggests, I'm Nicho. I've been an atheist all my adult life, but before that I was your average run of the mill non-devout mainstream Anglican.

Highlight of my life as a Christian: I once prayed every night for a year to prevent Saddamn Hussein from launching chemical weapons at the UK, and it worked, but of course I later learned he never had them at all. I see that as God listening to me and changing time so he never had any. You're welcome.

I can't remember when the change came, or how, but I think it was in my late teens. The final realisation hit me on holiday as I was working on some stories: the vast leaps to assume the Universe features one or more beings interested enough in the fleeting flash that is human life compared to geological time yet still chose to hide themselves in a non-obvious way suddenly seeming apparent.

Highlight of my career as an atheist: Walking past university one day I was stopped by a girl with a ballot box type thing. I didn't break my stride. She asked if I wanted to attend a debate with a Christian Scientist. THAT broke my stride and I turned and gave her the freakiest grin ever.

"Yes. Yes, I would."

So I went into the room where the debate was to be held, helped myself to the Chrisitian Union brought sandwiches and jaffa cakes, and waited for the show to start. The scientist never showed so instead it became a debate in a circle about things. I sat waiting, my expression a blank poker face, until the trigger word "Evolution is just a theory" was sprang, at which point I engaged the entire group (30+ people) on science, evolution and atheism, emerging as close to victory as could be said to be possible. Afterwards the leaders insisted on shaking my hand. To this date I have no idea why.

So, yes. Hello all.

Hi Nicho /As for evolution being just a theory ,I will have to agree with your christian science debaters, but with serious reservations.
Genuine scientists claim degrees of probability, not fact when considering their hypotheses. Really hard certainties cant be deemed to exist forever, though they possibly could. The philosopher Karl Popper has written a lot on this issue.
The term scientism has been coined to indicate that some scientists are over zealous over their claims.
While religion is purely a faith thing science is very strong but not neccessarily
permanently right. Things can and do change.~~~Mr WoofShy
Find all posts by this user
18-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Hi,

Human.

The end

Tongue
18-07-2011, 04:41 PM

RE: Mr Woof
(18-07-2011 04:17 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Hi Nicho /As for evolution being just a theory ,I will have to agree with your christian science debaters, but with serious reservations. Genuine scientists claim degrees of probability, not fact when considering their hypotheses.

At this point evolution is almost so certainly the case that it now falls to gradual hair-splitting improvements and not radical overhalls. That it happens is a fact.
18-07-2011, 05:48 PM
RE: Mr Woof
(18-07-2011 04:41 PM)Nicho Wrote:  
(18-07-2011 04:17 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Hi Nicho /As for evolution being just a theory ,I will have to agree with your christian science debaters, but with serious reservations. Genuine scientists claim degrees of probability, not fact when considering their hypotheses.

At this point evolution is almost so certainly the case that it now falls to gradual hair-splitting improvements and not radical overhalls. That it happens is a fact.

Nothing can be claimed hard line absolute fact in terms of infinite possibilities for change. Factually, a fact isn't a fact , it is a finite explanatory method.
Mr Woof.Cool
18-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Hi. I'm 21, I live in a college town (although I dropped out due to money issues), and I've been an atheist for about 5 years. I was raised Christian, and even went to a Lutheran school for many years.

I'm open about my atheism, although I keep very quiet about it around my mother, who is a born-again Christian.
18-07-2011, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2011 08:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-07-2011 07:22 PM)Dodger Greywing Wrote:  ... although I keep very quiet about it around my mother, who is a born-again Christian.

Not me. I bring it up every chance I get around my 70 yo evangelist mother. She still keeps praying for my godforsaken miserable ass soul. It's kinda a game now to see if I can get her to stop praying for me before one or the other of us is beyond the reach of prayer. We both find it fun and engaging. Smile

(18-07-2011 12:52 PM)Nicho Wrote:  Highlight of my life as a Christian: I once prayed every night for a year to prevent Saddamn Hussein from launching chemical weapons at the UK, and it worked, ...

I just skipped the middleman and prayed directly to Saddam Hussein. It worked equally well. Wink

(18-07-2011 04:22 PM)MisterDoctorE Wrote:  Hi,

Human.

Hi.

#sigh
18-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Yo im Nick i am 20 years old. Im currently living in a flat with my friends in Christchurch New Zealand. Waiting on the August intake for the NZ Army. I am an atheist but i never really came from a religious household although my mother does believe in god and heaven but she never pushed it on me Smile Probably been an atheist for a year but all my life i have been skeptical. I am quite open about my views on religion but i do not bash it.

Cheers
18-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Greetings.
Am a 19 year old advanced placement student at CalTech/semi pro musician/surfer-jock/spoiled brat. Am a refugee from another blog, where I can no longer "suffer the fools". Was raised in a culturally diverse fortunate environment, where non-success was not allowed. Since I have family members deeply connected to public, cultural and theist institutions, I am growing out of my paranoia.

Those who are patient enough to read my posts and respond will get to know that I LOVE humor, never get into personal rancor, and am a hyper-linguist. As far as I'm concerned no one gets to say anything without defining EXACTLY what they mean. Never assume ANYTHING.

I think Hawking is on the right track in some areas, and am fascinated by the NEW conclusions and corollaries drawn from the double slit experiment. Feel so unbelievable lucky to be alive in these interesting times, and look forward to being one of the first nano-implant bio-machines.

.uids etisoddo htiw 'esreviun etauretla ua ui evil I

"The Singularity is Near" Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-07-2011, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2011 09:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-07-2011 09:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "The Singularity is Near" Rolleyes

I think that is worth looking at.

#sigh
Thread Closed