Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-09-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
My name is Kristine, I'm 35 and live in or near Ottawa, Ontario - the capital city of Canada.

I'm an atheist as of a few years ago. Ex Christian coming out of Plymouth Brethren, a VERY conservative Christian denomination in which women wear head coverings and stay silent in the church.

I'm not silent anymore! Smile I'm pretty vocal on many topics, including opposition to male infant circumcision and abortion which both violate the human rights and bodies of our dependents. I run http://www.prolifehumanists.org

Looking forward to great discussions! Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kruszer's post
07-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm new here today too, x catholic and we wore head stuff for years, that's changed, the church has had to do a lot of changing to keep people...but they didn't keep me.

I'm pretty vocal too, and am pro choice, anti guns, hate wars and am 76....took me a lot of years but I left catholic world 30 yrs ago or so.....dabbled in other stuff...but FINALLY arrived. jam
07-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi there, to all those who have just signed up.

Glad you could make it.

Smile

07-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Just lookin around here and lots of jokesters, maybe not for me here....
07-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Hey all new folks - glad you could find the place!
There are lots of different discussions going on so give yourself time to check out all the different forum sections.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-09-2014, 06:29 PM
(07-09-2014 05:16 PM)jamin Wrote:  It took me over 60 yrs to FINALLY get here....thanks to Julia Sweeney's, one woman play, Letting Go of God......

But find it pretty lonely since I've come out....

Have a couple non-believer friends, but that's about it.

Better late than never Yes

Welcome, now you have a ton of new non believer friends.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
07-09-2014, 06:31 PM
(07-09-2014 06:16 PM)jamin Wrote:  Just lookin around here and lots of jokesters, maybe not for me here....

That is because at this point there isn't a lot of debating going on. There are tons of resources, podcasts, lengthy well thought out and erudite threads though for you to browse. Idle time brings the kids out in some of us, and we have a couple.....special new additions to the forum that are not the true reflection of the main stream. Blush

Have a question? Thought? post a thread...or hit search

either way welcome, if you decide to go, you decide to go.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Hello!

I've been an atheist for about ten years now...switched over from evangelical Christianity after reading everything Douglas Adams wrote that I could get my hands on. "Salmon of Doubt" really did it for me.

I've been teaching in the Midwest for five years now, and the loneliness of being the only atheist in the faculty is getting to me now. We're a very small, very white, very Christian community....so they can get away with starting pretty much all sporting events, school board meetings and faculty meetings with prayer. I feel incredibly uncomfortable being asked to recognize and/or join in their religious rites and I've been unofficially curtailed at expressing distress at these kind of happenings.

Had I chosen to take a job at a Christian or parochial school....I would understand and have no problem keeping my mouth shut and head bowed. But this is a public school. *Sigh*

/rant

Anyways, I really hope to find some people to chat with who aren't offended by the mention of evolution or the idea that the earth is over 6000 years old.
[+] 1 user Likes FritzyBits's post
08-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Hi Fritzy, it took me so long to get off the "fence" but when I did I could not get back on the fence or otherwise.... I'm totally retired and have maybe 3-4 friends who are non-believers as well.

Interesting, I had a call with a cousin in the East today, I'm in CA and she's a few years older than me, I'm 76. and we were talking about hip replacements we went thru and she went on to thank god for all her work on the replacements, etc...and I tried to correct her and said "caroline, you did all the work"....and then we got into it but I had to say, "let's stop"....I knew I would not get her to understand where I am.....

So we have to go with our feelings and do our best, I have a good many bridge friends and they know I'm a non believer....believed for the first half my life and then I finally arrived....

Glad to meet you here....

I have a next door neighbor who I have known for 50 yrs or so and when we were young she was a tad more "normal" and I was still a believer and so we never got into this, but in the last 10 yrs or so she went thru the "born again" stuff....and now we don't even talk, she went on about my burning in hell if I didn't accept JC, etc....they are so so so brainwashed. jam
08-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Welcome new members!

Jump right in to the threads, it's a global group, spanning many age groups, loads of different backgrounds, some really awesome people and a few assholes too.

Angel

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
Thread Closed