Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-09-2014, 03:53 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
hello you wonderful people!!
I'm Matthew a 23 consumer scientist and have been an atheist since my second year in high school (they didn't like that)
I'm from South Africa and I've recently started being more open about being an atheist...
this site has blown my mind with all the fantastic posts and I cannot stop recommending it to my friends, both religious and not
it says what I cannot without losing my head
its so informative, I cannot thank all you wonderful people enough
Mattie1221^^
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mattie1221's post
09-09-2014, 04:39 AM
Hey guys, I'm Schrutie!

I recently found TTA on Youtube. Religion has been a struggle for me my entire life and I am currently 29 years old. I've lived in the American southeast, in the red state of Kentucky and in a sort of wealthy Christian-predominate hometown. Needless to say, it's not the most ideal area to live and question much of anything that could be 'against the norm' and I'm a triple threat! As in I have always (for as far back as I can remember, at least) questioned my gender identity (especially my 'role' as a biological female), religion, and sexuality.

My life has been chock full of oppression from those sides, I was told time and time again that I should be a young lady, to worship men (that's my wording for it, I have nothing against men XD but I'm not going to bow down to any person or thing), and all of that usual bull shtako. As far as religion goes, I'm an only child so when I was real little I would enjoy going to Bible camps and playing with other kids my age. I remember having this thick book of children's stories from the Bible. You know, there were plenty of pretty pictures depicting different biblical characters and the stories were all cleaned up so that a young child could enjoy them. I loved that book, though I NEVER thought any of the stories were based on any truth but I was taught early not question these things.

If I remember correctly the first actual question I had was about dinosaurs and them not getting any mention in the bible, I was huge into dinosaurs at the time. Surely God had created dinosaurs, right? Why would he wipe out his own creation? God was supposed to be perfect, surely he didn't like.. have a world he made before filled with dinosaurs then decided that he was going to wipe the slate clean and try again for some reason. My concerns weren't met with any logical answers. At the time, there were other things that were going on too. I was big for my age, I was tall and a little pudgy (even though I played sports and was very active, but we know now that this was due to a hormonal imbalance that was going on inside my body) and I remember someone telling me that "God doesn't allow fat people into Heaven because there's no room for them." As if that was supposed to be motivation for me to lose weight. Hint: it wasn't. It only made me question my religion even further. Why would god make fat people and not allow them into Heaven?

Anyway, before I rant off even more, I feel I have always been an atheist on some level. I officially came out to myself as an atheist recently, like earlier this month, it has taken me 29 years to admit this about myself (I actually came out to myself about my gender identity and sexuality in the earlier part of this year as well)... but recent times have made it easier to really look back and reflect truthfully on my life, especially after discovering podcasts like TTA. To date, besides you guys, I have only told one person about my religious views and that's because I knew my best friend would accept and love me for who I truly am. I'm truly thankful to have her in my life and I'm thankful for this community that continues the battle for the freedom from religion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2014, 05:03 AM
(09-09-2014 03:53 AM)Mattie1221 Wrote:  hello you wonderful people!!
I'm Matthew a 23 consumer scientist and have been an atheist since my second year in high school (they didn't like that)
I'm from South Africa and I've recently started being more open about being an atheist...
this site has blown my mind with all the fantastic posts and I cannot stop recommending it to my friends, both religious and not
it says what I cannot without losing my head
its so informative, I cannot thank all you wonderful people enough
Mattie1221^^

Welcome Mattie, from one saffa to another Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Welcome all newcomers, if you are looking for delusion, misinformation and laughable pseudo-science then you are at the wrong site, that would be answersingenesis Laughat , but if you are looking for reason, logic and a little humor then you are in the right place Evil_monster

Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-09-2014, 05:15 AM
[Image: welcome.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-09-2014, 06:02 AM
(09-09-2014 04:39 AM)schrutie Wrote:  Hey guys, I'm Schrutie!

I recently found TTA on Youtube. Religion has been a struggle for me my entire life and I am currently 29 years old. I've lived in the American southeast, in the red state of Kentucky and in a sort of wealthy Christian-predominate hometown. Needless to say, it's not the most ideal area to live and question much of anything that could be 'against the norm' and I'm a triple threat! As in I have always (for as far back as I can remember, at least) questioned my gender identity (especially my 'role' as a biological female), religion, and sexuality.

My life has been chock full of oppression from those sides, I was told time and time again that I should be a young lady, to worship men (that's my wording for it, I have nothing against men XD but I'm not going to bow down to any person or thing), and all of that usual bull shtako. As far as religion goes, I'm an only child so when I was real little I would enjoy going to Bible camps and playing with other kids my age. I remember having this thick book of children's stories from the Bible. You know, there were plenty of pretty pictures depicting different biblical characters and the stories were all cleaned up so that a young child could enjoy them. I loved that book, though I NEVER thought any of the stories were based on any truth but I was taught early not question these things.

If I remember correctly the first actual question I had was about dinosaurs and them not getting any mention in the bible, I was huge into dinosaurs at the time. Surely God had created dinosaurs, right? Why would he wipe out his own creation? God was supposed to be perfect, surely he didn't like.. have a world he made before filled with dinosaurs then decided that he was going to wipe the slate clean and try again for some reason. My concerns weren't met with any logical answers. At the time, there were other things that were going on too. I was big for my age, I was tall and a little pudgy (even though I played sports and was very active, but we know now that this was due to a hormonal imbalance that was going on inside my body) and I remember someone telling me that "God doesn't allow fat people into Heaven because there's no room for them." As if that was supposed to be motivation for me to lose weight. Hint: it wasn't. It only made me question my religion even further. Why would god make fat people and not allow them into Heaven?

Anyway, before I rant off even more, I feel I have always been an atheist on some level. I officially came out to myself as an atheist recently, like earlier this month, it has taken me 29 years to admit this about myself (I actually came out to myself about my gender identity and sexuality in the earlier part of this year as well)... but recent times have made it easier to really look back and reflect truthfully on my life, especially after discovering podcasts like TTA. To date, besides you guys, I have only told one person about my religious views and that's because I knew my best friend would accept and love me for who I truly am. I'm truly thankful to have her in my life and I'm thankful for this community that continues the battle for the freedom from religion.

Wonderful story! Welcome to the forum schrutie. There is always room in here for you!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
09-09-2014, 11:55 AM
My name is Rick and I am 63 years old. I have only been an atheist for about one year. Before making this decision I struggled for many years to make sense of the Bible and Christianity. I can't say that I was ever comfortable in church and finally couldn't maintain faith any longer. Once I accepted that there is (in all probability) no God, I felt that a huge weight had been lifted from me. I am not militantly anti-religious and have no agenda to convert anyone to my way of thinking, but for now this is what works for me.
09-09-2014, 01:49 PM
(09-09-2014 04:39 AM)schrutie Wrote:  Hey guys, I'm Schrutie!

Hi you 29 youngin, I'm 76 youngin and it took me into my 60's to FINALLY say, I don't believe.....raised a catholic from the cradle, not to my ashes, we didn't have bibles, it was all prayers and memorization.....thinking back to some of the prayers, boy they were negative too...

"now I lay me down to sleep, if I should DIE before I wake....yikes, they had us dying before we went to sleep....

I was a sheepole for a long time, but not anymore.

Good group here to share and learn about others journey.
09-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new. I'll be 49 this month and just came out of the closet this year. I considered myself a Christian until around 40. I came out as an agnostic several years later, but finally had to admit that I just don't believe. I'm also in the very Red state of Oklahoma. I'm smack dab in Bible belt USA. In small town Oklahoma, anytime you see a Church, you'll find a bar within the next block. LOL! Church, bar, Church, bar, bar Church. Okay, you get the picture.

I am a member of the Unitarian Church. I don't think I could survive this state without it. It's the only place I've been able to meet other atheists, like myself.

Nice to meet everyone!
[+] 1 user Likes Carla_Danger's post
09-09-2014, 08:04 PM
(07-09-2014 05:16 PM)jamin Wrote:  It took me over 60 yrs to FINALLY get here....thanks to Julia Sweeney's, one woman play, Letting Go of God......

But find it pretty lonely since I've come out....

Have a couple non-believer friends, but that's about it.

I loved Julia Sweeney's Letting Go of God!!!
Thread Closed