Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2014, 07:25 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(09-09-2014 09:47 PM)Carla_Danger Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 09:13 PM)jamin Wrote:  Hi Carla, good to hear your story, I also "dabbled" with the UU church and had some great friends I met thru the UU group...all non-believers...

Yes, it has to a tough road living in the bible belt with "our" minds....I once thought I'd move to NC as I was getting tired of Los Angeles, and when I visited I could not imagine surviving there, Los Angeles is freedom of everything. I finally got off the fence in my 60's, I'm 76....

I think the UU Church is like an AA meeting for people trying to get over their past religion. LOL!

It's great to meet you too!

Brilliant. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2014, 07:28 AM
(09-09-2014 11:55 AM)rcorley18 Wrote:  My name is Rick and I am 63 years old. I have only been an atheist for about one year. Before making this decision I struggled for many years to make sense of the Bible and Christianity. I can't say that I was ever comfortable in church and finally couldn't maintain faith any longer. Once I accepted that there is (in all probability) no God, I felt that a huge weight had been lifted from me. I am not militantly anti-religious and have no agenda to convert anyone to my way of thinking, but for now this is what works for me.

Welcome to TTA, you old fart. Thumbsup

Note: I, too, am an old fart.

14-09-2014, 07:30 AM
(09-09-2014 01:49 PM)jamin Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 04:39 AM)schrutie Wrote:  Hey guys, I'm Schrutie!

I recently found TTA on Youtube. Religion has been a struggle for me my entire life and I am currently 29 years old. I've lived in the American southeast, in the red state of Kentucky and in a sort of wealthy Christian-predominate hometown. Needless to say, it's not the most ideal area to live and question much of anything that could be 'against the norm' and I'm a triple threat! As in I have always (for as far back as I can remember, at least) questioned my gender identity (especially my 'role' as a biological female), religion, and sexuality.

My life has been chock full of oppression from those sides, I was told time and time again that I should be a young lady, to worship men (that's my wording for it, I have nothing against men XD but I'm not going to bow down to any person or thing), and all of that usual bull shtako. As far as religion goes, I'm an only child so when I was real little I would enjoy going to Bible camps and playing with other kids my age. I remember having this thick book of children's stories from the Bible. You know, there were plenty of pretty pictures depicting different biblical characters and the stories were all cleaned up so that a young child could enjoy them. I loved that book, though I NEVER thought any of the stories were based on any truth but I was taught early not question these things.

If I remember correctly the first actual question I had was about dinosaurs and them not getting any mention in the bible, I was huge into dinosaurs at the time. Surely God had created dinosaurs, right? Why would he wipe out his own creation? God was supposed to be perfect, surely he didn't like.. have a world he made before filled with dinosaurs then decided that he was going to wipe the slate clean and try again for some reason. My concerns weren't met with any logical answers. At the time, there were other things that were going on too. I was big for my age, I was tall and a little pudgy (even though I played sports and was very active, but we know now that this was due to a hormonal imbalance that was going on inside my body) and I remember someone telling me that "God doesn't allow fat people into Heaven because there's no room for them." As if that was supposed to be motivation for me to lose weight. Hint: it wasn't. It only made me question my religion even further. Why would god make fat people and not allow them into Heaven?

Anyway, before I rant off even more, I feel I have always been an atheist on some level. I officially came out to myself as an atheist recently, like earlier this month, it has taken me 29 years to admit this about myself (I actually came out to myself about my gender identity and sexuality in the earlier part of this year as well)... but recent times have made it easier to really look back and reflect truthfully on my life, especially after discovering podcasts like TTA. To date, besides you guys, I have only told one person about my religious views and that's because I knew my best friend would accept and love me for who I truly am. I'm truly thankful to have her in my life and I'm thankful for this community that continues the battle for the freedom from religion.

Hi you 29 youngin, I'm 76 youngin and it took me into my 60's to FINALLY say, I don't believe.....raised a catholic from the cradle, not to my ashes, we didn't have bibles, it was all prayers and memorization.....thinking back to some of the prayers, boy they were negative too...

"now I lay me down to sleep, if I should DIE before I wake....yikes, they had us dying before we went to sleep....

I was a sheepole for a long time, but not anymore.

Good group here to share and learn about others journey.

Welcome. Good to have you here.

14-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Hello everyone, I'm Jay Dee, and I've been a long time follower of TTA on Youtube, but only recently decided to come here. I've been an atheist all my life, not once believed there was a god even as a child. I was raised in a secular household and encouraged to find my own way through belief and non-belief. I've always had a strong interest in science, loved reading encyclopedias since I was about 7 years old, and I eventually studied physics and astronomy in university.

Anyway, I hope to enjoy talking with plenty of you.
14-09-2014, 11:42 AM
(11-09-2014 06:50 PM)AlexNos Wrote:   Well, first post... must introduce myself... I guess, when introducing myself, I'll just BE myself, haha.

Well, as you can tell, my username is AlexNos, but you can call me Alex. I'm just above the age of legal adulthood and that's how vague all my personal information is going to be.

I found Seth's website through Facebook (and a multitude of links) and I feel it helps to know that there are more people out there like me. People who speak out against religious wrong-doings (and, frankly, religious idiocy.)

I guess that's all I'll say for now. I'm better at answering questions, so throw them at me!

-Alex
Hey Alex,

My name is A2 and I am just BELOW legal adulthood. Now, with you being above, I still like to think you are in my age group. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
14-09-2014, 11:51 AM
To all the new people -

[Image: 30tndyo.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
14-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Greetings! Been watching some vids and reading posts on the forum and figured I should drop the voyeurism act and join up. Smile Looking forward to some lively conversations.
14-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Welcome, you ole fart....gave me my only chuckle today....thanx.....
15-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm a 35 year old housewife with 3 children and a husband who serves in the US Navy.
15-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Holodomer loves you!

Hi.
Thread Closed