Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
15-09-2014, 08:56 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everybody. I am a 40-ish male from eastern Canada. I have been a non-believer in religion for years. It started early on, because religious stories seemed like myths to me. The antagonists of the big book; some of their very ripe ages, talking animals, boats that could carry a zoo filled with millions of species and managed by a family, a parting sea, a virgin birth, dead people coming back to life and other supernatural events, well, seemed like fiction, authored by imaginative men. Other than the far-fetched stories, there was no archaeological evidence to prove the stories were true. No arc, no ruins of a tower of babel, no skeletons of men who lived to 200 years. As for the tower of babel, we have been to the moon which is surely higher and there was no deity cursing the launch. Most on the television evangelists I saw seemed self-serving; asking for money and such for their own gain. The religious people I knew or came into contact with, sometimes seemed a bit radical and rarely talked about geology, archaeology, paleontology or astronomy. My own parents were not religious. Nor were several of my closest relatives. On top of that, I grew up in a mufti-cultural city and had relatives and friends who were from different cultures and backgrounds. Each religion claimed it's way was the right way and everybody else who didn't follow the same version was going to be punished somehow, in their afterlives, or something like that. This behavior seemed tribal and I quickly came to the conclusion that people generally followed the religions, traditions and beliefs that they were raised with; based on the regions and communities they grew up in. I couldn't imagine some of these wonderful people who I loved being looked down upon or punished by a deity just because they were born and raised in the “wrong” family, community or region. On another angle I noticed the similarities between ourselves and primates. The hands, feet, fingers, toes, faces, eyes, ears, skeletons, etc are similar. Plus there are the past humanoid fossil finds, which fill some of the pieces about our past. Other finds give us information about past animals and conditions on our planet. Nowadays I think of our species as a type of bipedal primate with a more developed brain. Yet we are still a tribal species and we love to categorize ourselves into distinct groups and fight among ourselves. Meanwhile, our technology is advancing as is our destructive weapons.
Find all posts by this user
15-09-2014, 09:42 PM
(15-09-2014 08:56 PM)hairy_bipedal Wrote:  Hi everybody. I am a 40-ish male from eastern Canada. I have been a non-believer in religion for years. It started early on, because religious stories seemed like myths to me. The antagonists of the big book; some of their very ripe ages, talking animals, boats that could carry a zoo filled with millions of species and managed by a family, a parting sea, a virgin birth, dead people coming back to life and other supernatural events, well, seemed like fiction, authored by imaginative men. Other than the far-fetched stories, there was no archaeological evidence to prove the stories were true. No arc, no ruins of a tower of babel, no skeletons of men who lived to 200 years. As for the tower of babel, we have been to the moon which is surely higher and there was no deity cursing the launch. Most on the television evangelists I saw seemed self-serving; asking for money and such for their own gain. The religious people I knew or came into contact with, sometimes seemed a bit radical and rarely talked about geology, archaeology, paleontology or astronomy. My own parents were not religious. Nor were several of my closest relatives. On top of that, I grew up in a mufti-cultural city and had relatives and friends who were from different cultures and backgrounds. Each religion claimed it's way was the right way and everybody else who didn't follow the same version was going to be punished somehow, in their afterlives, or something like that. This behavior seemed tribal and I quickly came to the conclusion that people generally followed the religions, traditions and beliefs that they were raised with; based on the regions and communities they grew up in. I couldn't imagine some of these wonderful people who I loved being looked down upon or punished by a deity just because they were born and raised in the “wrong” family, community or region. On another angle I noticed the similarities between ourselves and primates. The hands, feet, fingers, toes, faces, eyes, ears, skeletons, etc are similar. Plus there are the past humanoid fossil finds, which fill some of the pieces about our past. Other finds give us information about past animals and conditions on our planet. Nowadays I think of our species as a type of bipedal primate with a more developed brain. Yet we are still a tribal species and we love to categorize ourselves into distinct groups and fight among ourselves. Meanwhile, our technology is advancing as is our destructive weapons.

I can tell you will fit right in. You articulate very nicely. Have an insightful stay.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
15-09-2014, 09:45 PM
(15-09-2014 05:11 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Holodomer loves you!

Hi.

Hi. Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
17-09-2014, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2014 03:09 AM by Kyd Jhesus.)
Hey guys, I am your friendly neighborhood spider...wait...I am your friendly neighborhood dude. I am 18 and that's all you guys are getting at the moment. I am also a atheist, don't let the name fool you. I hope to get to know you people. I am one of those nice atheist who are not up in your face about how I think most people live in a fantasy land. I only get aggressive when I hear a theists being extra stupid. This week I had some crazy delusional Jesus but on YouTube thinking I was a Muslim because I was defending them. I swear this guy thought Jesus never supported bad things or said. glad I got him pissed.
18-09-2014, 09:03 AM
A new NDeeZ in town...
New here--looking for a community to learn from and get support from.

With sixty in the rearview mirror, and having grown up in a mostly liberal town surrounded by mostly red-necked-dom, the first memories I have of be consciously atheistic is when I started going silent at the words "under god" during the pledge, both at school and in the Boy Scouts. My parents never took us to church, but let others take us, if that was their tradition. Consequently, went to a variety of churches and temple, but not very often. It pisses me off a little that the words "under god" didn't exist in the Pledge of Allegiance until the year I was born.

I have, all of my life, waffled between describing myself as an agnostic and an atheist (even defining the term 'agnostic' as 'a wishy-washy atheist.')
I'm not sure I can be as positive that there isn't a god as others are that there is. For me, religion has been a way of controlling the masses, but the fact that friends have been genuinely comforted by their faith somewhat mitigates the enormous damage done to society in religion's various names.

Personal notes: Two grown kids, 2.5 grandkids and a host of fur kids. One ex-wife, with whom I am still friends. My valued escape from life is to go to my land in the mountains--the peace those views and that solitude brings is as close as I get to reverence.
18-09-2014, 09:10 AM
(18-09-2014 09:03 AM)NDeeZ Wrote:  New here--looking for a community to learn from and get support from.

With sixty in the rearview mirror, and having grown up in a mostly liberal town surrounded by mostly red-necked-dom, the first memories I have of be consciously atheistic is when I started going silent at the words "under god" during the pledge, both at school and in the Boy Scouts. My parents never took us to church, but let others take us, if that was their tradition. Consequently, went to a variety of churches and temple, but not very often. It pisses me off a little that the words "under god" didn't exist in the Pledge of Allegiance until the year I was born.

I have, all of my life, waffled between describing myself as an agnostic and an atheist (even defining the term 'agnostic' as 'a wishy-washy atheist.')
I'm not sure I can be as positive that there isn't a god as others are that there is. For me, religion has been a way of controlling the masses, but the fact that friends have been genuinely comforted by their faith somewhat mitigates the enormous damage done to society in religion's various names.

Personal notes: Two grown kids, 2.5 grandkids and a host of fur kids. One ex-wife, with whom I am still friends. My valued escape from life is to go to my land in the mountains--the peace those views and that solitude brings is as close as I get to reverence.

Welcome to our community and happy you found us.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-09-2014, 09:12 AM
(18-09-2014 09:03 AM)NDeeZ Wrote:  New here--looking for a community to learn from and get support from.

Welcome from one old fart to another. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Hey guys! Decided to join the community after watching Seth's videos on YouTube and am excited to be part of the community.

An interesting fact about me: I have one unread private message from DeepThought titled Welcome to The Thinking Atheist Forums!
[+] 1 user Likes Aldiesel18's post
20-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi all! I'm a 39 year old woman living in Colorado, USA. Husband and I are childless by choice & pretty much closeted atheists. Both of these life-decisions have pretty much guaranteed our social suicide you all can imagine. I went through the typical "gradual" process out of a Christian brainwashing after my Dad died when I was 30. My husband supported me 110% through it, never pushing me in one direction or another, and come to find out he's never been a believer. Things people should probably discuss prior to getting married... but then again, considering who I was at the time, I probably would have never even dated him had I known. Thank God that worked out! Both of our families are pretty religious and we cringe at the brainwashing currently being done to our nieces & nephews (one of which we are "God Parents" to - ahhh the irony). I would love to live openly and honestly but feel we have too many negative repercussions at this time including our family denying access to our niece & nephews, my work, and my husband's work in a religiously-permeate public safety career. TTA podcasts are my therapy, I enjoy the company and conversation with like-minded people and my husband and I look forward to the day we can live openly and inspire other people to Think!
[+] 1 user Likes AAAJA's post
20-09-2014, 03:09 PM
welcome all newcomers!!!!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
Thread Closed