Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
22-10-2014, 08:24 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey there. Found this place through the youtube videos.
34 years old, 34 years an atheist. Brought up in a non religious household with a science teacher for a father.
Looking forward to taking a look around here.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blitz55's post
22-10-2014, 10:48 PM
I agree, unfogged, but would describe the folks you named not as victims but as survivors, or even victors.
Who knows, marken might survive his bigotry, ...and be a victor.
[+] 1 user Likes tom in napa's post
23-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Did not see that there was a dedicated thread for this. 'Ello everybody.
(20-10-2014 04:24 AM)MadDog Wrote:  [Snip]
Where you from? I'm going to guess Melbourne. Raised Carefully reared in Canberra myself.
23-10-2014, 03:58 AM
(22-10-2014 07:43 AM)SadieXian Wrote:  HI! I'm Sadie, 24 yrs old. I just joined here. Living in the lovely state of Oklahoma, I don't run across many (openly) like minded people.

Hi Sadie, when my wife and I, both ex-Xian and agnostic, drove thru OK some years ago (46 to be precise) on our way back to Austin TX, we wondered what was lovely about an Okla City that was so crowded with convention goers that we were halfway to TX before we found a vacant motel room. Now separated and atheist, we are in the lovely SF Bay Area, which some Xians call Sodom and Gomorrah). Enjoy TA.
23-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Hello all!
I'm not very good at introductory posts. I tend to lurk in forums. My name is Rebecca and I live in south Georgia. My husband and I are both atheists. I was raised religious in a few different denominations. I was baptized Mormon, attended a Methodist church later on, and I think a Baptist one as well. It was a while ago. Disbelief smacked me in the face one Sunday morning and I left Christianity shortly after that.

It's nice to know this forum exists. I love the Thinking Atheist podcast, and it will be great to connect with other fellow heathens. Smile
23-10-2014, 01:25 PM
(23-10-2014 10:52 AM)Randomfibergal Wrote:  Hello all!
I'm not very good at introductory posts. I tend to lurk in forums. My name is Rebecca and I live in south Georgia. My husband and I are both atheists. I was raised religious in a few different denominations. I was baptized Mormon, attended a Methodist church later on, and I think a Baptist one as well. It was a while ago. Disbelief smacked me in the face one Sunday morning and I left Christianity shortly after that.

It's nice to know this forum exists. I love the Thinking Atheist podcast, and it will be great to connect with other fellow heathens. Smile

Welcome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Welcome Randomfibergal! I'm a new acquisition as well. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
23-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Greetings. I just signed up, My name is Brian Jackson, contrary to what my error-prone fingers rapidly typed in the enthusiasm of joining a community of like-minded folks. Anyway, Hello to all, and I'm probably here for the same reasons you are. You know what's funny? I don't feel the need to stand out or have a clever name. In fact it's kind of the opposite that's giving me joy here. Being one of many, not unique, but perhaps with a different slant to add.

Growing up the son of a rock star had its own challenges. Add to that the pressures of conformity to religion and school... would drive any kid crazy. Now at 49 and looking back, what kid should ever receive a birthday present of Hal Lindsey's "Countdown To 1984"? I gave up my pop can collection, said f**k school and waited for the rapture. Not quite what dad had in mind.

Fast forward 30 years and it's been more of the same nonsense. I love my father but my recent admission to him of my non-theism hasn't been the disownment I prepared for. In fact he's still the same loving guy I'd always wanted to emulate. But lately he's having a hard time knowing my final judgement, and wants to save me.

Sorry, I'm new here so there's probably ready-made kits for such things. At present I'm not privy to them. But I would be interested to know how others dealt with parents. The reason I ask is two-fold: First:, we don't wish to offend, and Second:, What gave them privilege over us to instill their beliefs on us that suddenly I'm a Muslim, or Mormon, Scientologist or Christian.

I was a little long winded. Sorry.
23-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Greetings. I just signed up, My name is Brian Jackson, contrary to what my error-prone fingers rapidly typed in the
enthusiasm of joining a community of like-minded folks. Anyway, Hello to all, and I'm probably here for the same
reasons you are. You know what's funny? I don't feel the need to stand out or have a clever name. In fact it's kind of
the opposite that's giving me joy here. Being one of many, not unique, but perhaps with a different slant to add. Growing up the son of a rock star had its own challenges. Add to that the pressures of conformity to religion and school... would drive any kid crazy. Now at 49 and looking back, what kid should ever receive a birthday present of Hal Lindsey's "Countdown To 1984"?

I'm going to shut up now. I can't be the only one who gave up on life in hope of a better one. Talk about a shitty upgrade.
23-10-2014, 07:40 PM
(18-10-2014 01:07 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 08:55 PM)Kowlzer Wrote:  

Welcome to our community, I hope you like it here.

Thank you very much. Smile
[/quote]

Your youtube channel is way cool! Thanks for sharing. Welcome to TTA. Enjoy.
Cool
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for viewing, i am just getting started. been a closet atheist for 25 years. i'm uploading at least one every week. it's cool that you liked it. Big Grin

*and welcome all other new members, i'm new as well.*

Facepalm

My Youtube channel i started.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kowlzer
Thread Closed