Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-11-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome Mr. Boston! Interesting intro. You will like this forum, I'm sure. Enjoy! Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
21-11-2014, 01:56 PM
I am a 50 year-old Hispanic chemistry professor in the U.S. I have been a non-believer since my college days when I was challenged by my professors to think and take my mind in new directions. I loved seeing with every passing semester of problem solving and critical thinking, the growth in my capacity to grasp ever more complex ideas and solve more complex problems. My profession was chosen in part because I wanted to give this gift back. Although I have been a non-believer for 30 years, I had never really been aware of the atheist community until this summer when browsing the new movies on iTunes I saw a movie entitled “The Unbelievers”. The movie really crystallized in my mind that I passionately do believe in science and reason and I am outraged by the anti-science movement in the U.S. I am proud to identify as a freethinker and I am slowly coming out. I remember in college searching for my purpose in life. I now realize that I had made my own purpose: teaching students that in science, there is a best truth for what you know and as you learn more, that truth may have to change. Hopefully they can apply that to other parts of their lives.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
21-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Greetings! I am Godz Nutts.
Not sure I am at the right place, so I guess I will find out soon. I have been an Anti-theistic Atheist for about a year. My last "religious stop" was Buddhism. It seemed more a philosophy on life than religion. Then, as time went on, I learned of the many different "sects" of Buddhism (which was bothersome enough.) The deal breaker was when I learned Buddhists had the same problem with the vagina as, oh, every other religion. Buddha couldn't be born normally like a common mortal. He was given birth through his mothers side!
In surfing the internet one afternoon I came across a Christopher Hitchens' speech. That was it! He had me! It is interesting to look back on "my deliverance" and remember the stages I went through. These stages were similar to the stages of grief. I first was angry. Angry at myself for ever believing such drivel. Angry at the people who still believed such drivel, and angry with the religions who had so seriously duped me. Then I learned I had wasted most of my life in an enterprise that doomed me, anyway. You see, I was born a bastard. It was not good enough that I would lose out on sacraments and the accompanying afterlife. The next 10 generations of my family were screwed as well!
Upon learning this, I laughed out loud! You see, I am the last of my family tree. The church lost out on this bastard! I would not be providing any more folly for them. Great being on board here, with Seth and the rest of the gang. I hope I can contribute in some way down the road. Greetings and good tidings to all!
22-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Hi everyone

My name is Ghassen and i come from tunisia. I am 20 year old. I live in Germany, so to anyone out there "Servus".
I am an ex muslim and have been an atheist for over a year now but as far as i could remember i always had my doubts and skepticism but i kept the curiosity limited mainly due to fear and feeling guilty.

Anyhow i am looking forward to meet other friendly atheists from around the world and hopefully learn more from you guys.

Thanks and have a great day everyone
#TeamScience
[+] 1 user Likes Ghassendh's post
22-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Welcome to you ^^ all!
Smile
Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
22-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi, I'm 40 years old and live in Denmark.
In 1998 I met this wonderful girl and we started seeing each other and ended up getting married in 1999. And we're still married...

But the thing is, she's christian. And I was sort of open in the beginning, kind of curious and all that, and crazy about her. Slowly, to sort of blend in, I suppose, I fooled myself into believing that I had faith as well. It went sort of okay from 2003 till '14, when I finally had to surrender. I was an atheist through and through. Not a deist not a spiritualist. Nothing. This was, and is, a massive blow to our relationship and I'm 100% certain, that if we didn't have the three wonderful kids we have, we would have seperated a loooong time ago, due to other things as well, but that is for some other day.

Now I'm dealing with how to engage our daily life with children who believes in woo, since I was a derp and agreed (young, naive, blindly in love) that our children should be raised as christians... Boy, did I not know what I agreed to back then....

So here I am, trying to deal with all this, looking for a way to impart some reason and sense into the brains of my kids, and hopefully my wife, though the chances there are slim to none...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm Lydia from Texas. I grew up episcopalian and was baptist through most of my youth. I became an atheist about a year or two ago, but it feels like I've been an atheist for longer than that. I have very few atheist friends, so I look forward to being part of a large atheist community.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_Artist's post
23-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Hi! 20-something-year-old female from Canada.
Atheist since 2007. (Although before that I was just following along because I didn't realize there was another option.)

I am semi-drunk on white wine and tacos and that is why I am here.
[+] 3 users Like pollyanna's post
23-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Welcome aboard, atheists new, young and older.

Hoping you'll find what you're looking for.

Thumbsup

23-11-2014, 05:11 PM
(23-11-2014 05:03 PM)pollyanna Wrote:  Hi! 20-something-year-old female from Canada.
Atheist since 2007. (Although before that I was just following along because I didn't realize there was another option.)

I am semi-drunk on white wine and tacos and that is why I am here.

best book evar

[pollyanna not being drunk on tacos<------ is this even possible?]

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
Thread Closed