Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
24-11-2014, 05:39 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everyone , i am a 20 year old Tunisian guy. I am a student in Germany , i study Industrial engineering.
I am an ex muslim. I was a muslim officially until i was 18 years old however as long as i can remember i always was skeptic and just couldn't buy the crap they were selling. Anyhow after an inner struggle, the curiosity and love of science won against the guilt and ignorance of religion. so here i am .

i'm looking forward to know some of you friendly atheists out there and hopefully learn a little more about anything because why not.

Have a great day to everyone who read this Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Ghassendh's post
24-11-2014, 06:01 PM
(23-11-2014 05:11 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 05:03 PM)pollyanna Wrote:  Hi! 20-something-year-old female from Canada.
Atheist since 2007. (Although before that I was just following along because I didn't realize there was another option.)

I am semi-drunk on white wine and tacos and that is why I am here.

best book evar

[pollyanna not being drunk on tacos<------ is this even possible?]

the name is actually in reference to the pollyanna principle - which if I recall correctly is based on the story? I need to read the story haha.
25-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Hi all. I'm 29 year old male from Bloemfontein South Africa. I've been an Atheist officially for about 7 years now. Was rased as a presbeterian Christian, broke the shackles after reading The God Delusion. I'm fairly open about my atheism, if someone brings it up or mumbles some religious garbage I will call them on it. However I have learned not to start up debates, unless someone engages me, cause over here in our Afrikaans culture I got beaten up to many times for destroying someones stupid beliefs. So I've mellowed a bit I'd say. Glad to be here.
[+] 1 user Likes MasterVerloc's post
25-11-2014, 01:22 PM
(25-11-2014 05:10 AM)MasterVerloc Wrote:  Hi all. I'm 29 year old male from Bloemfontein South Africa. I've been an Atheist officially for about 7 years now. Was rased as a presbeterian Christian, broke the shackles after reading The God Delusion. I'm fairly open about my atheism, if someone brings it up or mumbles some religious garbage I will call them on it. However I have learned not to start up debates, unless someone engages me, cause over here in our Afrikaans culture I got beaten up to many times for destroying someones stupid beliefs. So I've mellowed a bit I'd say. Glad to be here.

Welkom Smile I hope that's how you spell it - Zimbabwean, so forgive me Tongue I'm up in Joburg Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm a 43 year old and have been an atheist for about 18 years now. I was raised Southern Baptist and went off to college planning to be a youth minister. After a lot of questioning, little by little, I let go of the beliefs I was raised with that no longer made sense to me. My family knows I no longer believe and this is creates tension. Reading Seth's book was a wonderful acknowledgement that I'm not the only one.
[+] 1 user Likes KCHumanist's post
25-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi there!
I'm a 30 year old transgender Atheist who comes from a bible-thumping fundamentalist background.
When I was very young, we went to a southern baptist church and and I attended school at the same church.
Later, we went to an "Assembly of God" church, which is the one that lead to my deconversion.
I found the Thinking Atheist podcast when doing a search for "Bill Nye", shortly after the Ken Ham debate and have been hooked ever since, listening to the back-episodes like they're candy. I'm so glad to have found this community!
[+] 2 users Like Tleilaxeu's post
26-11-2014, 04:52 AM
@MoronDog; Yep thats correct ;-)
[+] 1 user Likes MasterVerloc's post
26-11-2014, 10:32 AM
hey,

I'm 40, .. and cue cliches. Yep, that's right, I've been trodding trough life, working hard, doing the things I was supposed to do (college, get a job, get married, buy a house, have kids, mow the lawn, etc..), thinking I'd eventually become that mystical grown up one day. ugh.

Never followed a religion, didn't bash others for following (though I did feel they often used their religion as an excuse for various things - in particular not thinking for themselves). I wouldn't call myself an atheist either. I've alway felt, sometimes believed, there was something, someone, somewhere that influenced the things I could not control. I'd wish to that effect when I was younger.

Due both to turning 40 and some wakeup calls in my personal life this year, I've spent the year searching for answers. Answers to questions that, apparently each one of us has asked or are still asking - a fact I never really even considered until recently (cue cliche again).

In seeking the answers, I found some peoples answers that resonated and some that did not. But I found that there was a common theme underlying many of the religions I started to read about that did resonate, more than I ever thought it would, compassion for fellow human beings. Often though, I found these religions to have a whole set of cruft laid over those core themes, almost like marketing, or social engineering, to coerce people to believe in only their beliefs that laid on top of the common themes - I don't like that.

I have found that Bhuddist teachings resonate the most with me, though there are some aspects that I'm not ready to explore further. I'm sure there could be a whole topic on whether Bhuddism is compatible with atheism or not - I dunno enough yet.

Anyway that's my intro. I read through a few threads, and there appeared to be some thoughtful people in here that I could relate to. Hope to converse with you soon.
26-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Welcome noobs Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi there. My name is Bianca. I'm 21 years old. I'm an atheist only for 3 months, but I've had a long time of questions, that resulted to this. Glad to be here Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes SchwarzeBee's post
Thread Closed