Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-08-2011, 09:08 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi omega gamma...

Welcome to the forums. Have an insightful stay...

(Btw... You where the first to test our anti-spam measurements. Moderation approvement wont be necessary anymore from now on (if everything works as planned Smile )

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2011, 11:44 PM

not a new atheist by any means but a new member to this atheist communitySmile hello everyone!
08-08-2011, 12:20 AM
(06-08-2011 09:08 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Hi omega gamma...

Welcome to the forums. Have an insightful stay...

(Btw... You where the first to test our anti-spam measurements. Moderation approvement wont be necessary anymore from now on (if everything works as planned Smile )

Thanks. So glad I could help.

«Είμα Ανθρώπου. Είμαι όλοι για μένα. Δεν υπάρχουν Θεοί».
Ωμέγα Γάμμα
08-08-2011, 04:49 AM

An Aussie Atheist, with a spider av. Hey!
[+] 1 user Likes Mindfields's post
08-08-2011, 08:09 AM
(07-08-2011 11:44 PM)Resetoriginal Wrote:  not a new atheist by any means but a new member to this atheist communitySmile hello everyone!
Hi and welcome to the forums. Have your baby-recipes handy at check-in please. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Hi everyone, my nickname is Mauricio. I'm currently a PhD Physics grad student at Rhode Island. I believe I have become an atheist. I want to find groups of like-minded people in the subject to exchange ideas and become more knowledgeable.
08-08-2011, 06:33 PM

Hi I'm new here
I don't know how to describe myself. I think I'm probably Agnostic Atheist, but I'm not actually sure because I still have moments where I think I might believe. Logically, because I'm an extremely logical person, I know this is because I was so indoctrinated that I'm still fighting off the brainwashing. That said I don't blame anyone except myself for this. I WANTED to believe and so unlike most I knowing allowed myself to be put into the position to be indoctrinated and brainwashed... it just didn't stick because under it all is the simple truth that I know. HE doesn't exist.

I don't know where it started. I'm from Kansas and when I was a kid I went to church with my grandparents and aunt and church camp and sometimes with my mom. I was raised Baptist and it was generally the 'this is how it is' mentality. I wasn't, thankfully, from a family that went to church every week, but it was still very much a 'god exist' world. I wasn't allowed to believe otherwise and while it wasn't as bad as it could have been it was there. It was in everything that was a part of our life whether my mother was blaming herself or god for her mistakes or we were visiting relatives and being made to memorize verses from the Bible for vacation Bible school. There was never any question as to what I was supposed to believe. There were times I questioned it and I would, not deliberately, do so in a way that I was questioning the beliefs without questioning the belief. What this means I wouldn't question that God existed but I would question the noah's arc thing or how the earth is only 5,000 years old when we know that dinosaurs existed millions of years ago. I didn't want to not belong and I didn't really know that there was an option to not believe, but I think the question has been there since as long as I can remember. I remember questioning things as young as five years old.

There always comes a transition point or a catalyst and I think mine was the fact that I was very lonely child. It made me search for something to no be alone in and oddly I chose religion. I wanted to believe because then all those times where I cried alone in the bathroom or in some corner where nobody could see me hoping somebody would see me or realize I wasn't there and come to find me wouldn't add up to nobody caring because nobody ever did. If God existed then I was never really alone in those moments. I wanted that more than anything. I wanted proof that he was real, but in the end maybe I was too smart to be duped despite honestly wanting to be. I even chose to call myself Agnostic Christian because I could believe more diversely and loosely without hurting anyone's feeling if they believed differently thus being less likely to push potential friends away. That's how alone I was.

When I was about 11 I started going to both Alateen(my mother is a recovering addict) and Church. I wanted to know if I was 'missing something' and I wanted to feel that friends/family feeling that I got when I went to church with family on the holidays and such. I was a geek and I was teased and tormented at school so I felt very alone. My mother and little sisters started going with me to "support" me though I saw it more as an experiment. I tried different churches and found one that I was comfortable with, but it was more about figuring stuff out than anything and I didn't really need the support or feel like I had to convert them or anyone. I did find a community that was kind to me for the most part. My mother bugged me to "witness" to my two best friends because one is Buddhist and the other is Wiccan and I rolled my eyes at her and told her no. I was agnostic even as a Christian. The details seemed stupid and unreal but they weren't really what I was looking for. All I wanted was to feel included.

I'm fairly intelligent though so when I raised questions about the logic I found I got talked down to. There was one moment where my youth pastor to see Spawn and that Sunday he went on this tirade about how sci-fi/fantasy, metal, etc was unhealthy and how if we read, watched, or listened to this we would start to believe it was reality. I was offended because this was obviously aimed at me. I was the only person in the room (other than my best friend who's wiccan but came with me because she's my best friend and loves me) who was into those things. I stood up, angry but very calm, and said that if they had such trouble telling the difference between reality and fantasy then they shouldn't read anything, watch anything, or listen to anything. If they lack the critical thinking skills of a small child then they shouldn't leave their house. Then I turned and stormed out. I think THAT was the moment I started to step away. I was 16 or 17 at the time. He apologized the next week because well the entire church, including the Pastor had heard about it. It didn't make me feel better. I started questioning things more and more and I stopped going to church roughly a year later. I still "believed" but I felt very angry at the church. I would say things like I believed in God "my higher power" but not the Bible. This turned into not believing in Hell which seemed counter-intuitive to a loving god.

I got involved with a man who was very much a geek, moved in with him, and despite birth control ended up pregnant. He asked me to marry him, I said no because I didn't want that to be the reason we got married. I didn't want a relationship based on that. Technically we'd already been telling friends we were engaged for months more to make them comfortable with the fact we were living together than anything else. My family (mostly my grandmother and my aunt) started the 'you have to get married' routine and began throwing out religious reasons that this was necessary. This had the reverse effect in that I absolutely refused to marry him. I loved him, but I didn't want my child to ever have to hear that we got married because of her. Which was smart because my aunt a few years ago started saying the only reason my parents got married was because my mom was pregnant with my older sister. True or not it's none of her damn business. It just showed to me exactly how hypocritical they were.

After our daughter was born we moved to Maine. It was right about the time of the dot com bubble bursting and computer jobs were hard to find and his company had moved the data center to Virginia and we didn't go with them for various reasons despite a job offer. He's from Maine so we moved there to be closer to his family. They're Nazarene and really quite open minded and accepting. Very laid back like Mainers generally are. His cousin is a lay preacher but I never caught any grief for the fact we weren't interested in going to church. So I suppose my stepping away from belief slowed there because there was no outside pressure. I'd go visit my family and they would aggravate me and I'd become more aggro about religion then I'd go back home to Maine and it wouldn't be a problem and I would stop caring.

I realized I was bisexual somewhere in my years at maine and found I politically shifted to the left or rather I realized I was on the left side to begin with and hadn't known it.

Eventually we moved back to Kansas due to money and jobs and the economic depression. I tried to go to church and even found a Episcopalian church that for the most part fit me. They were laid back and we got along. I just found I didn't have any real interest and so didn't go very much. I became more and more apathetic about religion only getting aggravated when I had to deal with charismatics.

I made a rule to protect my daughter from brain washing. I decided I would make sure she was introduced to multiple religions as well as atheist so that she could make up her own mind. I told my mother and stepfather she could go to church BUT only after I went to make sure the pastor wasn't preaching hate. Well the first guy was nice and I let her go and then they changed pastors and I said I had to go again. My mother was oddly resistant to this but I went anyway and well he was talking to his adult group downstairs about how he'd been asked not to go to football games and pray with the team by the school board and how unfair this was. I felt the need to step in and point out that it isn't unfair unless he is going to let any other religion do the same and that even then it's rather unfair to the non-believers to push those beliefs at them and that I was sure he would have a fit if a muslim or other religious leader was doing the same thing he was. He said of course because he's right. This turned into a huge "fight" with him yelling at me and me sighing and calmly pointing at arguments to counter whatever inane statement he made about how Christians are right and everyone else is wrong. In the end he stormed off saying he had to get ready for his sermon and the people sitting there were 4 older people (2 men and 2 women) 3 of which had known me since I was a baby and all but one of them came up to me patted me on my arm, hugged me, and told me how nice it was to see me again. I wondered then if maybe I wasn't saying what they'd been thinking but hadn't been able to say. So despite this issue I'd had with him I went up and sat down to listen to his sermon. He started with the typical bullshit that everyone starts with and eventually leads into this story he heard from his mother about these girls who were brutally murdered while walking home from school by muslims. I sat there for about half the story then got up and left. I couldn't stand the hate and fear he was preaching and I wasn't going to quietly sit there and listen to it. I waited out in the lobby for my mother. Well after the sermon he comes out and is saying good bye to people and shaking their hand and he sees me there and starts asking me why I left and I said it was because he was preaching hate and fear. He asked how and I explained that for one by repeating a story without any form of documentation or record from a reliable source to backup that it was true. He says well he heard the story from his mother and I said that unless she works for the Times or Associated Press and has had to verify her sources than she's an unreliable source and her little stories of hate and fear shouldn't be repeated blindly. He started the "so you're calling my mother a liar" and I went "No I'm saying she's an uniformed person who likely heard the story from somebody who heard it from somebody and is no repeating a rumor which he is now propagating by repeating it for his entire congregation and that the tone in which he was doing so was hateful and fear mongering." He started berating me and I cut him off and said he was now just being childish and I had better things to do than listen to him and I headed downstairs for the church social. I had more people come up to me and pat me on the arm and hug me and say how good it was to hear my voice again... My mother berated me in the car because apparently by walking away I was refusing to listen to his side and was being intolerant of his views. I said that I would happily listen to his side no matter how stupid I find it when he's willing to actually speak in a polite tone AND back his stories up with proof. She started in on me again and the minute the car stopped I got out and left and told her later my daughter was not allowed in that church so long as he was there and that if she couldn't accept that my daughter wouldn't visiting her on Sundays. She said it was inconsiderate and inconvenient and I said no that Anna could visit mon-sat during the summer and I would make sure she got to and from but really if that was too inconvenient for her than she could just not visit. Eventually we worked something out so that my daughter stayed with my grandmother who watch televangelist because she couldn't go to church but at least my daughter could go outside and play and not have to listen to it. After about a year the preacher left and the one I grew up with who was a good man and somebody I respected stepped in as an interim preacher and I let her go back.

After that there was an incident where evolution got brought up with my mother and I said I believed in science not myth. I didn't stop to think about it for even a second, it just came out, and I realized it was true. She cried and screamed at me for a bit and then it was forgotten.

We moved away back to the north and the coast but this time the west side of the country. I find myself happiest here. I feel like I can be myself here and I don't feel that I'm pressured to go to church or be religious. It has nothing to do with whether or not there are Christians here but the general mentality is a Live and Let Live one. Geeks (my people) are here and even on the occasion they believe they don't give me problems for not believing.

I'm still figuring things out for myself but the longer I'm here and not being pressured by religious types the more I think I'm not just agnostic but atheist. I find myself frustrated because there are moments where I revert and the years of brainwashing come out even if it's just like in my cussing or frustrated moments. I have decided to take those moments to remind myself that I can't blame an imaginary being for my own irritations nor can I ask him for help. It's a little frustrating but at the same time it's relief. It makes me wonder sometimes if I doubt my lack of belief even though I know logically it's simply that fighting the brainwashing and indoctrination of my childhood will take years and it's not as simple as poof 'acceptance' and all those years of desperation are gone and lifted off of my shoulders.
10-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi, long time atheist and skeptic, new to the forum here. I have been a professional theatre designer and educator for over 20 years, currently (belatedly) pursuing my MFA at Michigan State University.
10-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Hello everyone. I am Alfredo. I am a 25 year old guy from Puerto Rico. I'm not sure what else to say except it's very nice to meet you all.

And because I like smileys, I'm just gonna use a random one: Undecided

I ask of thee... Art thou mankind? Nay. I am the world. The world inside the gourd.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi i`m , 33 years old guy from Romania living and working in Spain and i`m glad to be part of this group of people !
Thread Closed