Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I asked the Lord for guidance and SHE led me to this forum where I came with the idea that an atheist is a person who denies or does not believe in the existence of God, but what I find here are many young disgruntled Christians who reject religion yet speak more about God, religion and the Bible than can be heard in the average church without considering that the physical tangible evidence for the existence of God is not found in religion. I will be available for your amusement, but not without some risk that unintentionally I will plant in your mind the seed of reasonable doubt. So if they will let me stay I’ll open with this: God has nothing to do with religion! You may fire when ready. Some call me Chief, some don't call me at all.
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Hi to all those who have newly signed in.

I hope everyone is able to stick around and get to know a few of the regular crew... we don't bite.

Unless, you're into that sort of thing. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
(02-12-2014 08:45 PM)aPriest Wrote:  I asked the Lord for guidance and SHE led me to this forum where I came with the idea that an atheist is a person who denies or does not believe in the existence of God, but what I find here are many young disgruntled Christians who reject religion yet speak more about God, religion and the Bible than can be heard in the average church without considering that the physical tangible evidence for the existence of God is not found in religion. I will be available for your amusement, but not without some risk that unintentionally I will plant in your mind the seed of reasonable doubt. So if they will let me stay I’ll open with this: God has nothing to do with religion! You may fire when ready. Some call me Chief, some don't call me at all.

Come on out to the main forum and re-assert that so we may discuss. Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Welcome Grumpy.

Chaif, you're gonna love it here, welcome.
03-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello - ?
Is this a sensible place where all aspects of evolution vis a vis creation can be examined in a rational, logical, unemotional context as whenever I bring up my doubt of a 'new earth' I get jumped on and told that evolution itself is a demonic theorem and likened to Adolf Hitler - I have a Masters degree in History and Political Science from University of Queensland, I have lived in 20 different countries, attended Anglican, Catholic and Muslim and Secular schools and seen a lot of things and read a lot of things and aqcrued a reasonable amount of common sense, recently having endured a personal crises I returned to church, as I have always thought that an open - mind was essential to life, so I saw a universe in which God may have played a part, in the shadows as it were, over the course of my recovery I was exposed to Christianity in the most ludicrous incantation I have yet encountered.
My common sense point as to why the universe is not 4000 - 8000 years old as reported in the Bible, but infact several billions years old in an older universe, roughly 14 or so million years ago, is that when you look at the night sky you are seeing light from billions of billions of light years away, not just the comparitevely microscopic portion of the Universe that would be observable if the Universe was only 4000 light years away, as the speed of light is an immutable unchangeable speed of 300,000 km a second - (then the size of the Universe would be 300,000, (spped of light), X 60-(seconds), 60 (minutes), 24 (hours) x 356 (days) X 4000 years - something huge yes 3.691,008,000,000,000,000,000,000km so thats a million trillion trillion km or something - which is infintesimle, compared to the true majesty of the heavens, and such a belief other than being egotistical (and naive and ignorant and idiotic) is far less plausible than a supernatural superbeing designing Universe's willy nilly, hither and tither, and to those (this used to be me - who thought the big bang needed a nudge,) it didnt as physics shows us that without matter ther is no time,

my main problem with a new earth outlook on life is it is demonstarbly untrue, like a holacaust denier saying the holocaust never happened, it is objectionable, and bigotted and divisive and reactionery and aggressive and generally malignant,
OH GOD ALMIGHTY PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!!!!!
[+] 3 users Like Dom46's post
04-12-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm nearly retired, and definitely decided on giving up on all the beliefs that have irritated me with their stupidity over the last sixty years. I just haven't found a single thing that is believable. While I'm not yet outspoken about being an atheist, I have begun to make openly derogatory remarks freely about my distrust and disgust of religions. I don't intend to hide it in any way any longer, feeling that religion has been a detriment to science and civilization for eons. Barbara
[+] 5 users Like Barbara Blackcinder's post
04-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I was born and raised in the Bible Belt of the US (North Carolina). I had my doubts when I was young (13-14 years old) and went full blown atheist around 23, when I escaped my family and the bible belt for grad school (in sunny San Diego). You could say that I'm out to everyone I know except my family back home.

So I guess you could say that I'm partially in the closet.

I love reading and discussing atheist rhetoric, but my favorite subject in this regard is religious history. Studying the history of christianity was probably the turning point for me from doubter to self-aware atheist.

Now 28, I'm currently finishing my PhD in Engineering Physics, so I also love discussing science, especially with curious laymen (and laywomen).

I joined this forum to increase my rhetorical skills. Bring it on!
[+] 3 users Like joseph1193's post
04-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Hello all from foggy San Francisco~ So happy to be here with you!

~incrédulité~
05-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm a 20 year old from Oklahoma. I have always been a skeptic to some extent. I remember being like 8 years old in church, and thinking that things didn't add up. After years of feeling lost, depressed, and ashamed for thinking the way I do, I have finally fully embraced my true nature. I am a freethinker. Matter of fact, I just "came out" to my parents, while over there for dinner.
05-12-2014, 12:26 AM
My name is Kyle, and I am a 20 year old from Oklahoma. I have been a skeptic my whole life, however, as I was born and raised in the Bible Belt, I really tried to believe. Because of this, I spent my teenage years battling depression, confusion, and feeling lost. I couldn't fathom that some being would create someone who thinks the way I naturally do, and then punishing them for the way they think. I have recently fully embraced my true nature as a freethinker. I'm lucky to have a beautiful wife (yes, married at 20) who was questioning her faith, and recently became an unbeliever. She and I actually had dinner at my parents' tonight and I "came out" to them. Didn't go well, as my mother was raised by a preacher, and has never had an original thought in her life. That's why I came here to enjoy the company of like minded individuals! Sorry for the wall of text!Blush
[+] 3 users Like EppurSiMuove's post
Thread Closed