Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-12-2014, 05:44 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Awesome name, Eppur. I named myself after a crab.

I'm a 26 year-old non-believer from the UK. I was raised by non-believers who rarely spoke on the subject (though my mum made her views quite clear), though I ended up believing or sort of believing in god due to cultural osmosis, rather like Santa, though in the case of god I was confused by people who kept insisting that god is real well into their nineties, even as I had grown out of it by every other metric. I slipped into a fascination with woo in my earlier teen years, but was well into science since a young age. Thankfully the scientist in me got its shit together and clobbered the garbage out of my head as a teen.

I've been listening to Seth's podcasts for a couple of weeks now, and they're quite comforting, though I have no religious pressure to make me need it. I joined this forum because on the other one I frequent the only believer willing to engage with me honestly has deconverted, and claimed it was my doing. I disagreed, but that disagreement failed to foster further debate. Victory is boring. I know that coming to an atheist forum is not the smartest way to rectify that, but I see conversations here I'd like to be a part of now and then.

If there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

| (• ◡•)|  (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Hi! I am a mid 50's male living in the Chicago suburbs. Married to a wonderful wife who can probably best be described as an anti-religion deist. My college age daughter claims to be agnostic and has not come to a full decision on belief, I feel. My 16 year old son is Atheist and not shy about it.Thumbsup My dad is a lay preacher, so I feel I will rely on this site many times in the future.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeepguzzi's post
07-12-2014, 03:37 PM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Good on you SOLDIER. And kudos for protecting our friends in SK.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
07-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Re: RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(07-12-2014 03:37 PM)The Drake Wrote:  

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Good on you SOLDIER. And kudos for protecting our friends in SK.
Welcome aboard, soldier. I have a friend who recently got out due to a TBI. He was in South Korea last, too.
07-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Welcome all!

Yes

Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
07-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Hey everyone,

Tldr: I'm a 22 year old male from South Carolina. Been an atheist for just a couple years and a doubter for a couple more. I graduated university with a mechanical engineering B.S. last May, but have yet to land a job in the field. I enjoy playing piano, video games, listening to podcasts, and reading, among other things.

I grew up in an Independent Baptist family. My dad was a preacher for the first years of my life and a children's evangelist for much of my developing years. I was also home-schooled during these years. I was a total believer until I was 17. By believer, I mean I believed all the theology I'd been taught was true. The earth was 6000 years old, and evolution was a conspiracy concocted by Satan and perpetuated by godless scientists who wanted to be their own gods (same with global warming, because...reasons). I severely doubted my own salvation throughout my whole life, however (I had my salvation experience at around 5). When I was 17 and just coming off a spiritual high from a foreign missions 'summit', I stumbled upon some of Seth's videos on Youtube, among some others by atheists such as Darkmatter2525. I then made my way to the main TTA site and found the contradictions and atrocities pages. The shear number of each was a shock to my system. I tried for a year or two to work through all the problems with the Bible I'd never known about before, and then I just stuck my head in the sand and didn't worry about any of it for a while, then got back into the journey and somewhere along the way became an atheist. Not really sure when it happened, but here I am. As far as I know I'm the only atheist in my family and community, and I'm closeted except to my parents (and all they know is that I'm doubting the Bible/God). Anyway, like I said, I stuck my head in the sand for a while, so I'm fairly new to having a godless worldview. I feel a little daunted at figuring out all the issues I have to reevaluate!

Sorry for the long post. Reckon I needed that. Looking forward to some interesting conversations!
[+] 2 users Like Dex's post
08-12-2014, 06:46 AM
(07-12-2014 11:52 PM)Dex Wrote:  Hey everyone,

Tldr: I'm a 22 year old male from South Carolina. Been an atheist for just a couple years and a doubter for a couple more. I graduated university with a mechanical engineering B.S. last May, but have yet to land a job in the field. I enjoy playing piano, video games, listening to podcasts, and reading, among other things.

I grew up in an Independent Baptist family. My dad was a preacher for the first years of my life and a children's evangelist for much of my developing years. I was also home-schooled during these years. I was a total believer until I was 17. By believer, I mean I believed all the theology I'd been taught was true. The earth was 6000 years old, and evolution was a conspiracy concocted by Satan and perpetuated by godless scientists who wanted to be their own gods (same with global warming, because...reasons). I severely doubted my own salvation throughout my whole life, however (I had my salvation experience at around 5). When I was 17 and just coming off a spiritual high from a foreign missions 'summit', I stumbled upon some of Seth's videos on Youtube, among some others by atheists such as Darkmatter2525. I then made my way to the main TTA site and found the contradictions and atrocities pages. The shear number of each was a shock to my system. I tried for a year or two to work through all the problems with the Bible I'd never known about before, and then I just stuck my head in the sand and didn't worry about any of it for a while, then got back into the journey and somewhere along the way became an atheist. Not really sure when it happened, but here I am. As far as I know I'm the only atheist in my family and community, and I'm closeted except to my parents (and all they know is that I'm doubting the Bible/God). Anyway, like I said, I stuck my head in the sand for a while, so I'm fairly new to having a godless worldview. I feel a little daunted at figuring out all the issues I have to reevaluate!

Sorry for the long post. Reckon I needed that. Looking forward to some interesting conversations!

Welcome!

SC is a tough place to be atheist and even tougher to be ex-Catholic. 20 years there proved that to me. This is a great place to talk, to vent, to learn, and to just BS with people.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-12-2014, 11:03 PM

Anyone else?

I'm agnostic, Thumbsup
I'm 20 and still trying to figure out my path. Don't pressure me is all i ask.
I've always been a very honest person and there isn't much more about me
i live a simple life, but had my struggles like anyone else.
12-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Greetings all.

I'm a 29 year old male currently working as a maintenance technician in VA, USA.
I was raised in a moderate, middle class, Independent Baptist home. Nothing unusual there I suppose.

I didn't really begin questioning the logic of my religion until I was in bible college (ironic eh?). After graduation I started looking for something else, something new, I stumbled onto Norse Paganism and hung there for a time before becoming disenfranchised with religion as a whole.

So, I started looking for a common sense worldview. During my readings I stumbled across Mr. Andrew's book "Deconverted" which, in turn, led me here.

Cheers,
~Raven
12-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Atheist since a young age. Now that I have my own youngsters feel more and more that it is so important to peacefully push back against religion and help preserve and protect freedom of thought.
Thread Closed