• 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-12-2014, 05:15 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello, fellow new people!
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi, I am Lisa.
I was supposed to be a college sophomore this year. But I took a break and am now applying to schools in the US.
It sometimes gets tiring and makes me feel suffocated when existential questions bug me too much. That is why I am here. And if it means something, I'm 18.
14-12-2014, 07:21 PM
welcome all new members!!!!!!!!!!!

Flex

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
15-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Just join the forum. Been avid listener of the podcast for a couple of years.
Smile
16-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi all,

I was looking for a place online where I could smile and eat cake, and found my way here. As it happens, whaddya know, I am not a spammer, promise.

I'm very interested in atheism, religion and related issues and look forward to engaging in the conversations here. See ya in the threads!
16-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Heyo,

My name is Jessica and I've been in desperate need of some atheist interactions. I don't live in a 'super' religious area but there are still churches everywhere and everyone always assumes you're a Christian. I'm actually wanting to join (or maybe even start) an atheist group in my area. The closest one to me is in Chicago which is about an hour away from me. I'm hoping to maybe get some advice on starting a group or maybe I missed a group closer to me. Anyways....

About me:
I've never really been that religious growing up, but I didn't start considering myself an atheist until I was around twenty-one (I'm now twenty-six) and it wasn't until the last couple of years that I wanted to become more active in the atheist community. I've wanted to start a group at my college campus but I also suffer from social anxiety so that has been hindering my plans.
I'm a biology major and an author, and for my day job I work at Target. I have two cats named Paul and Darwin, and I have dreadlocks lol Obviously that's not everything about me, but I'll let you guys find out the rest if you're interested.

Best,
Jessica
[+] 1 user Likes BioJess's post
16-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi, came across the podcasts on youtube and started watching. That's one great voice Seth has. Anyway.. my name is Diana, I'm from Ontario, Canada, I'm 58. I grew up going to the United Church. I guess I was about 11 or 12 when I stopped going to Sunday school and church. I kicked up a stink about going, my parents allowed me to decide and my decision was not to go. Things I'd just accepted when I was younger started to not make sense. Sure the whole ark story was a great story but even as a kid (and one that was bad at math by the way) I had it figured out that there was no way Noah could have gotten all the animals on earth on a boat. Added to that was the fact that my tormenters went to Sunday school. Of course they were as good as gold there. The hypocrisy of that did not go unnoticed by me.
I had older brothers who didn't always go to church either. They were 5,7 and 9 years older than me so of course I looked up to them. I still remember the day my brother said, "the bible is just a book written by men." That really got the old hamster wheel turning. So really I've just never swallowed the whole thing, hook line and sinker. As a teenager, I'd still go to church sometimes when it seemed really important to my parents that I went. Christmas, Easter and Mothers Day were the big ones. I sang and played guitar a bit in a youth group. That didn't last long Big Grin There were just too many things that didn't fit in the puzzle of the bible and it's stories.

I've lived most of my life in that limbo land between "yah, there might be something to this whole religion thing" and "what a bunch of crap" It really struck home when my mother became ill with cancer and died. One of my brothers by this time had become a full out believer and was going to a baptist church.

As a teen he'd been in a local rock band. The screaming, leather pants, lead singer that all the girls loved Big Grin Once he became a believer, he stopped playing any music that wasn't Christian music and all he talked about was scripture and Jesus and ugh... Where had my brother gone? To outerspace as far as I could see.

Of course when my mother was dying he had a prayer circle at church etc. I was conflicted. I loved my mom of course I wanted her to live and if prayer might work then you bet, I was going to try it. The problem was that I'd seen the other cancer patients and I thought, I'm sure their families are praying for them. Why then does God save some and answer some prayers and not others? Those others that died didn't pray sincerely? Didn't pray hard enough or long enough? The others weren't deserving? What if my mom died? Did that mean she wasn't deserving?

Even though I didn't fully believe it still concerned me when I stopped praying, when I knew my mom was not going to live. Yes, yes of course I'd heard that line, "God sometimes says, no" but that was no damn comfort. I had no doubt after that, that I'd been fed a line of bull, well intentioned bull but bull still the same.

It's been great to listen to the podcasts to be able to acknowledge that yes, I'm an atheist. Now all I have to do is be able to say that out loud to my deeply religious brother.
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post
17-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi there everyone,

Just a starry-eyed London-born newbie here, who has gone through:

1. The journey from vague CofE affiliation, eastern religion, pantheism and finally atheism (all before my 40th birthday, thankfully);

2. Living in the Southern Baptists states of the USA as an atheist (and no, not 'cos of a mid-life crisis-driven desire to live dangerously);

Looking forward to some lively debate.

gofish!
17-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Hello Everyone. I'm Mike from Florida (originally Los Angeles then Seattle). Been an atheist my entire life, guess I was born a non believer because religion just never made sense to me at any age. Glad to be here.
17-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Re: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome, newcomers!
Thread Closed