Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-12-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Just read on AF that this forum exists, so I'd pop over and see what it was like. I see some names and faces I recognize, all of them nice to see. *waves*

I'm a mostly out atheist from Oregon. I don't have a deconversion story unless wondering in Bible school at five or so, how all these adults could believe this stuff is real counts as deconversion.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.--Delos B. Mckown

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. --Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Jenny A's post
27-12-2014, 06:41 PM
(27-12-2014 06:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 05:41 PM)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:  Oh, hell no.

Unless you want Drich, Godschild, and Riketto. Tongue

We had Drich already Weeping

Could we get you to take him back? Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Cthulhu Dreaming's post
28-12-2014, 02:09 AM
(27-12-2014 06:41 PM)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 06:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  We had Drich already Weeping

Could we get you to take him back? Tongue

Nyet. Comrade Drich was banned from the Party for being an insufferable douche.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm a twice-again* atheist who is still planning what to do with my life.

* I was an atheist, tried theism again for various reasons, realized my folly, and came back.
[+] 3 users Like Pretty Skeptical's post
28-12-2014, 03:01 PM
(28-12-2014 02:40 PM)Pretty Skeptical Wrote:  I'm a twice-again* atheist who is still planning what to do with my life.

* I was an atheist, tried theism again for various reasons, realized my folly, and came back.

I hope you choose to share a bit more of your story, as I was a theist, now an atheist...and not ever thinking of retuning to theism, but have a void lately...so your post caught my eye as someone who has gone though a similar transition.

Welcome! Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
28-12-2014, 06:49 PM
(28-12-2014 03:01 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 02:40 PM)Pretty Skeptical Wrote:  I'm a twice-again* atheist who is still planning what to do with my life.

I hope you choose to share a bit more of your story, as I was a theist, now an atheist...and not ever thinking of retuning to theism, but have a void lately...so your post caught my eye as someone who has gone though a similar transition.

Welcome! Cool
Thank you!

My story, in brief: I was raised Roman Catholic. I first quit theism the first time for more emotional reasons -- I thought that since I was a good person, nothing bad would happen to me, as people who have had bad things happen to them must have deserved it somehow. As you can imagine, I was pretty young then. Then life happened, and with encouragement from my atheist friends, I became an atheist.

A couple of years later, I felt kind of a void, like you put it. I started "doubting my doubts" about god and started doing Zen Buddhism, then the Unitarian Universalists, and then "The Secret" (I'm embarrassed to say), and then a New Thought Church that taught "prosperity theology", which is basically, if you do good things, good things will happen to you. Then life happened, this time in the form of medical/financial issues. I had come full circle.

However, this time, when people said, in so many words, that I must have done something to deserve my life circumstances, I was much wiser and realized that that idea was nonsense. I started distancing myself from the New Thought Church, gave back "The Secret" book I received as a present, started meditating again, but later decided Buddhism was much better as a secular practice than a religion, became a pantheist, then a materialistic pantheist, and now I am an atheist again.

My boyfriend is an atheist, too, so it's nice to have some support. He introduced me to a bunch of Atheist YouTube Channels and website forums, including this one. I even started arguing with a theist online the other day. Good times. No

I don't want to get into my medical issues on a public forum, but helping people who have similar issues and showing I can succeed despite my disability has given me a sense of purpose. If you feel a void, I suggest you read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. He was one of the few Jews who survived Auschwitz, and he explains in the book that meaning was the key to survival from concentration camp hell, and fortunately, meaning has nothing to do with religion.

I hope that helps!
[+] 3 users Like Pretty Skeptical's post
28-12-2014, 07:20 PM
(28-12-2014 06:49 PM)Pretty Skeptical Wrote:  .... Posted lots of interesting stuff...

Hug

Hello!

Big Grin

Much cheers to all.
28-12-2014, 07:42 PM
(28-12-2014 07:20 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 06:49 PM)Pretty Skeptical Wrote:  .... Posted lots of interesting stuff...

Hug

Hello!

Big Grin

Much cheers to all.
Thank you! Thumbsup
28-12-2014, 08:49 PM
(28-12-2014 02:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 06:41 PM)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:  Could we get you to take him back? Tongue

Nyet. Comrade Drich was banned from the Party for being an insufferable douche.

Maybe a prisoner of war exchange? Drich for Egordon?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-12-2014, 11:12 PM
(28-12-2014 08:49 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 02:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nyet. Comrade Drich was banned from the Party for being an insufferable douche.

Maybe a prisoner of war exchange? Drich for Egordon?

I'd rather the devil we know actually. At least Egor's got some entertainment value.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Thread Closed