Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
29-12-2014, 03:18 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi guys, I'm Rob and I've just jumped over from atheistforums.org to join this community too.

I'm 37, and a lifelong atheist. I live in England and was not heavily exposed to religion as a child. My first encounter was at age 5 or so where I took part in the school nativity (I was Joseph). Even at this age I assumed this was all a story and wondered why anyone was taking it seriously.

For the last year or so I've becoming much more aware that religion is not only stupid, but actually really harmful. I'm particularly opposed to indoctrination, I consider it child abuse. I now try to speak out where I can to try and further the acceptance of atheism, and to try and reduce the harm done by religion.

Thanks guys, I look forward to chatting with you Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
29-12-2014, 04:32 AM
Welcome Smile

We hope to absorb more atheistforums members and become the batheistforumsorg. We can be like... a tentacle monster... an atheist tentacle monster... Muhahahahahaha Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Thank you very much! Yes sounds like a good plan to me Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
29-12-2014, 06:30 AM
(29-12-2014 03:18 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Hi guys, I'm Rob and I've just jumped over from atheistforums.org to join this community too.

I'm 37, and a lifelong atheist. I live in England and was not heavily exposed to religion as a child. My first encounter was at age 5 or so where I took part in the school nativity (I was Joseph). Even at this age I assumed this was all a story and wondered why anyone was taking it seriously.

For the last year or so I've becoming much more aware that religion is not only stupid, but actually really harmful. I'm particularly opposed to indoctrination, I consider it child abuse. I now try to speak out where I can to try and further the acceptance of atheism, and to try and reduce the harm done by religion.

Thanks guys, I look forward to chatting with you Smile

Hello! Big Grin

(29-12-2014 04:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  We can be like... a tentacle monster... an atheist tentacle monster... Muhahahahahaha Evil_monster

*Looks @ self image...*

You called? Wink

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
29-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Cheers Smile

Got my "Just Jack" online now!

29-12-2014, 06:41 PM
(28-12-2014 06:49 PM)Pretty Skeptical Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 03:01 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I hope you choose to share a bit more of your story, as I was a theist, now an atheist...and not ever thinking of retuning to theism, but have a void lately...so your post caught my eye as someone who has gone though a similar transition.

Welcome! Cool
Thank you!

My story, in brief: I was raised Roman Catholic. I first quit theism the first time for more emotional reasons -- I thought that since I was a good person, nothing bad would happen to me, as people who have had bad things happen to them must have deserved it somehow. As you can imagine, I was pretty young then. Then life happened, and with encouragement from my atheist friends, I became an atheist.

A couple of years later, I felt kind of a void, like you put it. I started "doubting my doubts" about god and started doing Zen Buddhism, then the Unitarian Universalists, and then "The Secret" (I'm embarrassed to say), and then a New Thought Church that taught "prosperity theology", which is basically, if you do good things, good things will happen to you. Then life happened, this time in the form of medical/financial issues. I had come full circle.

However, this time, when people said, in so many words, that I must have done something to deserve my life circumstances, I was much wiser and realized that that idea was nonsense. I started distancing myself from the New Thought Church, gave back "The Secret" book I received as a present, started meditating again, but later decided Buddhism was much better as a secular practice than a religion, became a pantheist, then a materialistic pantheist, and now I am an atheist again.

My boyfriend is an atheist, too, so it's nice to have some support. He introduced me to a bunch of Atheist YouTube Channels and website forums, including this one. I even started arguing with a theist online the other day. Good times. No

I don't want to get into my medical issues on a public forum, but helping people who have similar issues and showing I can succeed despite my disability has given me a sense of purpose. If you feel a void, I suggest you read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. He was one of the few Jews who survived Auschwitz, and he explains in the book that meaning was the key to survival from concentration camp hell, and fortunately, meaning has nothing to do with religion.

I hope that helps!

Interesting journey Thumbsup Never heard of the Secret. Just ordered the Frankl book, thanks! This is quite an endorsement

"A 1991 reader survey for the Library of Congress that asked readers to name a "book that made a difference in your life" found Man's Search for Meaning among the ten most influential books in America. "
30-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Ooops Facepalm
30-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Hello!

My name is Alyssa. I am an atheist (I think I always have been, though I have not been brave enough to say it out loud until very recently) and a new podcast listener. It has been so refreshing to realize how many like-minded people are out there! For the longest time, I felt very alone in my non-belief. I am so glad to have found The Thinking Atheist!
31-12-2014, 11:39 AM
I am an old Atheist. I never bought into the god thing, I tried but could never buy it.
As a young child I remember when in Sunday school they pass everyone a penny and then passed the plate. This was so confusing to me. I knew we were poor and here was this fancy church begging money from poor people.

I was also beaten for my disbelief. I guess they finally got tired of trying because at about age 16 they stopped.

At 56 years old, I can say I tried many times to believe and it just would not take. I saw through the lies right away.

What I would like to say to you new Atheists, at least you have support out in the world now, it was very hard for me as there was no internet and even books had to be ordered from our small town library.
31-12-2014, 01:37 PM
I am 70 and have been an Atheist since I was a kid. I have been exposed to both Judaism and Christianity. I could never understand why mature, educated people would believe the illogical tripe that was handed down during times that were much more ignorant and much less informed than that of today.

Organized religion evolved as a way to control the ignorant masses and to enrich those that were in control of the religions. Religion is the greatest, most successful scam of all times! Bowing

Is there free will in Heaven? Do "souls" age in Heaven? What if you get to Heaven, for an eternity, and find it boring and tedious and torturous, especially without booze or sex? And... what if you can't get along with God?
[+] 2 users Like Machaon's post
Thread Closed