Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
31-12-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(28-12-2014 02:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 06:41 PM)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:  Could we get you to take him back? Tongue

Nyet. Comrade Drich was banned from the Party for being an insufferable douche.

If it makes you feel better, he's still an insufferable douche.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cthulhu Dreaming's post
31-12-2014, 07:34 PM
(28-12-2014 08:49 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 02:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nyet. Comrade Drich was banned from the Party for being an insufferable douche.

Maybe a prisoner of war exchange? Drich for Egordon?

No way, we've already banned him many times. Tongue
31-12-2014, 07:43 PM
The Thinking Atheist has been a therapeutic experience for me. Thanks for being there!
[+] 1 user Likes Bear Grass's post
31-12-2014, 08:18 PM
[Image: Harp-Seal-Pup-pics.jpg]

a welcome seal,.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
02-01-2015, 08:17 PM
I am the daughter of a former Independent Baptist Pastor, and grew up in an extremely conservative home. I got "saved" at the age of four, but had many questions and doubts about god and religion even then. Traumatized though by intense depictions of hell, I was too afraid to ask the questions, and in response grew into an obsessed proselytizer and began working in church ministries before the age of ten, and "surrendered my life to god" to be a missionary at the age of twelve (although I wanted to at five, but my parents thought that I might be too young and made me wait lol). Realizing in my teen years that I was gay began derailing my life and plans. I tried counseling to "fix" it, and eventually married and man and went off to Bible College. After struggling to force my way through that for several years, I finally got a divorce and came out. The aftermath of that has led me to finally ask all the questions I had before and have come to the place where I finally (though at the moment quite privately) believe I can call myself an atheist. This website and the podcasts have been much of a lifeline for me for sometime, and I am here now seeking an opportunity to converse with others who might "get" me.
[+] 4 users Like RLeeSawyer's post
04-01-2015, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 02:47 PM by SajaaK.)
Ello everyone! I'm the daughter of an incredibly religious couple, and the majority of my life surrounded religion and going to church. 80% of my education took place in a Christian environment where I was fed misinformation on science. I was 'saved' and baptized at the age of 5. I lived in blissful ignorance until I began questioning my beliefs around the age of 10, after I met another girl who didn't share my beliefs. I remember asking her how Earth began, and she answered that many rocks in space came crashing together until they formed Earth. I thought it was ridiculous, and told her so. But, I was curious as to how anyone could even think that way; That Earth's creation wasn't done by gods. It seemed ridiculous...but when I actually did some research, it started to make sense.

I officially renounced my beliefs by the time I was 12, but I kept it a secret from my parents, and didn't really dub myself an atheist. During this time, I pretty much ignored my Christian education. There was no logic behind it, and I was now able to see through the lies that my teachers spewed about science and evolution. I pursued my interest in biology and astronomy. It was just so cool learning about these things! I got a telescope at around age 13 and I was hooked. I loved the cosmos. I loved wondering how the stars came to be, how, in the lengthy fabric of time, they whirled themselves out of clouds of gas. How planets formed from leftover star material coalescing. I loved peering at the planets in our solar system, and when we moved to Alaska, away from the harsh city lights, I could finally admire the Milky Way in all her beauty. I found it arrogant to think that all this was created for single species on a single planet. We are but a spot of dust in the cosmos.

Affirming that I was an atheist was a very humbling experience. I don't think humans are anything special aside from our sentience. Other than that, we are but another creature on this planet. And to be honest, I'm quite proud to be part of the human story. Even if my life won't amount to much more than a few letters, maybe even a word, it's quite nice to know you're part of something bigger.
[+] 6 users Like SajaaK's post
04-01-2015, 02:56 PM
(04-01-2015 02:27 PM)SajaaK Wrote:  Ello everyone! I'm the daughter of an incredibly religious couple, and the majority of my life surrounded religion and going to church. 80% of my education took place in a Christian environment where I was fed misinformation on science. I was 'saved' and baptized at the age of 5. I lived in blissful ignorance until I began questioning my beliefs around the age of 10, after I met another girl who didn't share my beliefs. I remember asking her how Earth began, and she answered that many rocks in space came crashing together until they formed Earth. I thought it was ridiculous, and told her so. But, I was curious as to how anyone could even think that way; That Earth's creation wasn't done by gods. It seemed ridiculous...but when I actually did some research, it started to make sense.

I officially renounced my beliefs by the time I was 12, but I kept it a secret from my parents, and didn't really dub myself an atheist. During this time, I pretty much ignored my Christian education. There was no logic behind it, and I was now able to see through the lies that my teachers spewed about science and evolution. I pursued my interest in biology and astronomy. It was just so cool learning about these things! I got a telescope at around age 13 and I was hooked. I loved the cosmos. I loved wondering how the stars came to be, how, in the lengthy fabric of time, they whirled themselves out of clouds of gas. How planets formed from leftover star material coalescing. I loved peering at the planets in our solar system, and when we moved to Alaska, away from the harsh city lights, I could finally admire the Milky Way in all her beauty. I found it arrogant to think that all this was created for single species on a single planet. We are but a spot of dust in the cosmos.

Affirming that I was an atheist was a very humbling experience. I don't think humans are anything special aside from our sentience. Other than that, we are but another creature on this planet. And to be honest, I'm quite proud to be part of the human story. Even if my life won't amount to much more than a few letters, maybe even a word, it's quite nice to know you're part of something bigger.

Wow, an enchanting story. No doubt you would have found Dawkin's book "The Magic of Reality" (http://www.brainpickings.org/2011/10/06/...-dawkins/) a useful companion when you were young.

Welcome.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
04-01-2015, 02:57 PM
(02-01-2015 08:17 PM)RLeeSawyer Wrote:  I am the daughter of a former Independent Baptist Pastor, and grew up in an extremely conservative home. I got "saved" at the age of four, but had many questions and doubts about god and religion even then. Traumatized though by intense depictions of hell, I was too afraid to ask the questions, and in response grew into an obsessed proselytizer and began working in church ministries before the age of ten, and "surrendered my life to god" to be a missionary at the age of twelve (although I wanted to at five, but my parents thought that I might be too young and made me wait lol). Realizing in my teen years that I was gay began derailing my life and plans. I tried counseling to "fix" it, and eventually married and man and went off to Bible College. After struggling to force my way through that for several years, I finally got a divorce and came out. The aftermath of that has led me to finally ask all the questions I had before and have come to the place where I finally (though at the moment quite privately) believe I can call myself an atheist. This website and the podcasts have been much of a lifeline for me for sometime, and I am here now seeking an opportunity to converse with others who might "get" me.
Welcome. Hopefully you'll find the lack of rules here a refreshing change. I know I have.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
04-01-2015, 03:46 PM
I am a former Christian of 44 years. I have been an atheist for about 7 years. Feel free to AMA.
04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Hej! I'm Mary, an old lady (52) living in Sweden, but hailing from Mississippi. I grew up as a liberal Presbyterian, tho mostly the traditional type (church because it was fun to hang out). I was never very committed to faith. Even in the last hole before you run out of room Bible Belt. I went through the stages of Atheism (doubt, questioning, Agnosticism, denial, acceptance) rather quickly after I returned to school for Anthropology. Now I live in a hedonistic society that gives 2 shits about religion. So I don't face the hardships many of my fellow Mississippi atheists. I have recently embraced my Atheism with a new vigor, which includes listening to podcasts, reading blogs and chatting with fellow non-believers. It is fun and cathartic.
[+] 4 users Like bonecop's post
Thread Closed