Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-01-2015, 04:33 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome to the noobs!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
04-01-2015, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 07:28 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
Welcome bonecop! Big Grin how is Sweden? I want to learn the language in the future... Not too far I hope though lol

Also welcome to RLeeSawyer, Sajaak (both interesting stories) and Tinker! Smile

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Hello. I am a 47 year old white male atheist from the Austin TX area who has enjoyed your podcast and videos for some time and have decided to check out the forum discussions. I am not terribly active in the nonbeliever communities for a variety of reasons but have been active on the Brights.net forums for many years (under the name 'recless'). I have been an atheist from childhood (couldn't even convince me of santa clause as a child), and while raised by Christian parents they were the 'your a smart kid, figure it out for yourself' types so I have never had to bear the weight of being labeled religious. I have never believed in God, the supernatural, etc, and am pretty strictly an empiricist (speak plain, speak the truth, or shut the bleep up type). Looking forward to taking part in the discussions.

Robert
04-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Good evening, all. I'm an old lady who's been an atheist a long time, but only got the courage to tell people a couple of years ago. I'm a US Navy vet, married to a US Navy vet, mother to a US Army vet, daughter of a US Air Force vet. LOL, after my nephew finishes boot camp with the Marines, we'll have all the services except Coast Guard covered in my family! I have tried belief in several religions in my long search for the truth, from Baptist (Southern style) to Wicca, and I even read the Koran and the Book of Mormon. My conclusion to all this searching was that A, there was no truth to be found in any religion that wasn't already apparent to the average decent non-religious person, and B, there was an awful lot of hate tied up in all religions. Hate give me hives, so I decided that I'd leave religions alone and just be the best person I could because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm afraid of Hell. I long ago came to the conclusion Heaven and Hell are myths.
I'm looking forward to talking to people who won't give me grief for not following a religion.
[+] 2 users Like grannyjanet's post
04-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Welcome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Welcome to everyone Smile Thank you for sharing your stories, I am always touched by people's journey to atheism.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2015, 04:14 AM
(31-08-2010 02:31 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  I'm an ancient curmudgeon, an unbeliever in monotheistic deities since my earliest days, and a semi-retired atmospheric scientist. Recently, I've become more agressively atheist because I'm concerned for the survival of the species - when monotheists have control over modern weapons of mass destruction and the will to use them to further their belief systems. Monotheists are prone to intolerance, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny, brutality, and violence. Barbaric religions are no longer acceptable in a world on the brink of worldwide religious wars.

2buckchuck:
While perusing this thread, your thoughts rang truest to my own, which is why I chose to use this reply as my first post. I hope you're cool with that...

I also hope to get much better acquainted with the entire 'greater TTA community' - which WILL grow - as quickly as nature allows...

PUSH ON - Fellow Ancient Curmudgeons!!!
-Mandolius
[+] 1 user Likes Mandolius's post
06-01-2015, 03:46 AM
Hi, I'm a middle aged Irishman living in New Zealand. Dragged up in the catholic tradition and from an early age saw going to mass (church) as some sort of punishment. For years I questioned my lack of faith and searched other religions and disciplines of thought to see if any carried truth. I found all to fail in one way or another. I slowly but surely came to realise that I was searching for what is true based on facts. I have no evidence that there is a god and even if there was, I would not follow blindly. I like being an atheist, Life is great!
[+] 1 user Likes Aidan2015's post
12-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Hi I'm an adopted Asian American who was raised in a Christian family.
I tried very hard to force myself to believe but deep down in retrospect, I knew I never really believed. Never "felt" the god in my heart thing everyone else claimed I should. I tried my best to fake it in hopes that it would come together someday but honestly I got tired of pretending. Then the more I learned about it, the less I wanted anything to do with it. Most of my family still doesn't know I'm an atheist except my mother, who I'm sure prays for my soul every night. I'm not afraid of rejection anymore but I don't want to cause people worry and grief over it.
[+] 3 users Like cinnamint's post
12-01-2015, 03:55 PM
(12-01-2015 02:49 PM)cinnamint Wrote:  Hi I'm an adopted Asian American who was raised in a Christian family.
I tried very hard to force myself to believe but deep down in retrospect, I knew I never really believed. Never "felt" the god in my heart thing everyone else claimed I should. I tried my best to fake it in hopes that it would come together someday but honestly I got tired of pretending. Then the more I learned about it, the less I wanted anything to do with it. Most of my family still doesn't know I'm an atheist except my mother, who I'm sure prays for my soul every night. I'm not afraid of rejection anymore but I don't want to cause people worry and grief over it.

Welcome. Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Thread Closed