Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: Hi I'm new here
(08-08-2011 06:33 PM)Kiterie Wrote:  I got involved with a man who was very much a geek, moved in with him, and despite birth control ended up pregnant. He asked me to marry him, I said no because I didn't want that to be the reason we got married. I didn't want a relationship based on that.

Why not? It's a better reason than most. It's why me and the wifey got married 25 years ago. 25 years and 4 kids later and we're still going strong.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
13-08-2011, 08:20 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, I'm Yaron, 18 from Israel. I've never been really religious, but only when I was around 15 declared myself "officially" as an atheist.
13-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Hi. I'm a 41 year old Atheist from Sacramento, CA. Born and raised Baptist, I remained in that state until I was 19, at which point I got involved in a non-denominational Christian church which was essentially the same fundamentalist garbage with hipper music. I found my way completely out of the church by my mid 20s, and after a few years away from the stifling influence of Christian groupthink, I finally found my way completely out of the woods of religion and could call myself an Atheist.

I'm excited to have joined this community, and look forward to connecting with others with similar experiences, as well as those who've followed paths completely different from my own.
13-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Hello my name is Peter, I am just becoming an atheist now, but I've been in process for probably nine years. I was raised catholic and went through the basic sacraments until I got skeptical and refused to be confirmed. I tried wicca, followed a form of deism for a time, and eventually thought I found my way back to Catholicism. After listening to the Podcasts and starting to read I get now the fairy tale that is God.
Its going to be a tough time for me because just over a month ago I got married in a catholic ceremony. My new wife has always known that I don't believe in literal bible reading and have major problems with organized religion, but I don't know how she will react to me saying God is a fairy tale (I will NOT use those words, I like to think I'm a little smarter than that) I still haven't told her or any of my family and I'm hoping that being in a community like this will help me to get through these trials and also find methods to make them easier.
I hope you welcome me into your community and I look forward to learning and expanding my horizons with the community at large.
13-08-2011, 11:53 PM

Hi everyone. I am from British Columbia in Canada. Have been an atheist for many years. One of my favorite songs is John Lennon's "Imagine".
14-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Hi and welcome newbies...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
15-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Some people need no introduction.. ..for everyone else there's a thread!!
Hi all,

To head off the confusion I'll explain my name: Daithí is the Irish form of Dave. You don't pronounce the 'th' and it doesn't begin like 'day'. Here's the breakdown: it's like the word Dot, but take away the T and replace it with He - Dohe (not too slowly, but nice and quick-ly)

That's how I explain it on my YT channel, but that only informs me of how few people actually read profiles on there! *Everybody* gets it wrong, even people I deal with frequently. Thankfully, I'm not in the least bit precious about it.

I'm 41, and I live in Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland. (which helps interpret the signature!)
I've been a fan of The Thinking Atheist content on YT for a long time, and I saw a post on Atheist Ireland's FB page today from this forum and thought: why not. The link was about the comedian Dara O'Briain. (that's pronounced 'Breen' - we're a complicated lot to mention in polite society!) Dara is a native of Bray, and we're all very proud of him.

I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I can remember what it was like to believe in Santa Claus, but I can't remember what it was like to think that God was real. I'm sure there was a point when I did, It was unavoidable in 70's Ireland. But I was always the one asking questions and if I didn't like the answers...

Anyway, that's me (so far as an intro goes). Glad to join up, and looking forward to joining in.

Take care,
Daithi
15-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Hey!
Summary of self:
American college student. Atheist; began questioning since 6 yrs young. I love traveling and understanding new cultures. Religion does divide people. Undecided Makes it hard to understand new people, when there is this divide that can't be crossed. Frustrating.

Just found the thinking Atheist via YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s) After the Rapture - makes me laugh every time! Now here I am, figuring out this forum - trying to make sense of the world.
15-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Dear All !

This is a great website. Magical how Internet makes you feel not alone in your (dis)belief. Great video works, loved it. Just a quick introduction of myself then...I grew up in Morocco my mum is catholic and my father muslim. Already a good platform for delightful confusion for the teenager I once was. So in order to find my path I did read all religious materials that was available to me (Coran and the Bible)...I thought I would do an informed choice in choosing my faith. Well this lead to even more confusion and for years I took the stand of believing in god and just put aside complicated and sometimes morally questionable dogmas.....I (wrongfully) thought that some kind of creator must have plan for all of us and being a christian, muslim, jew or whatever does not matter as long as I do good....surely my afterlife would be good. But....no......I could not intellectually just believe without any evidence....I was slipping with panic towards atheism.....Pleasantly, in my social life and readings, I actually found myself not alone at all.....So with more confidence I started to voice my disbelief and the panic disappeared.....After all I was only suffering from logical reasoning.....I do enjoy having discussions with other atheist but I cannot (yet) argue with fanatics and fairy tales believers (would feel the same to try to convince someone that earth is actually not flat).....There is no exageration on this one....I did lots of trips to Saudi Ararbia and watched closely religious madness.....

I moved from Paris to Australia few months back.

Crew ! Keep on this good work you are showcasing

Mehdi
16-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Hello! My name is David, and I'm about 6 years sober. I found my way here after watching Seth at the Freethought Convention on Richard Dawkin's website. (I'm listening to one of his podcasts right now actually).
Thread Closed