Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-01-2015, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 06:37 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I live in the state of Tennessee in the United States, and I've been a long-time Thinking Atheist podcast listener.

I don't know why I never signed up for the forum before now.

Anyway, I was raised as a Protestant Christian in the Methodist denomination from infancy and remained part of said religion until the age of 27 when, after a few years of "soul searching" and research, I finally realized that Christianity didn't add up to the truth. I went through various stages of belief before becoming an Atheist.

I came out to close members of my family about my apostasy in July of 2012. We talked about it for a while, but now we barely mention it at all. Fortunately, it's not really a major issue at the moment. My entire extended family is filled with Christians and I'm not sure how many of them know about my Atheism.

After struggling with how I felt for a while, I am now happy with my lack of belief. It's annoying to live in the Bible Belt as an Atheist at times, but I've discovered a few other Atheist in this area since my deconversion. I am free of the shackles of religion and am at peace with the idea of there being no god.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Atheist's post
13-01-2015, 06:48 AM
(12-01-2015 02:49 PM)cinnamint Wrote:  Hi I'm an adopted Asian American who was raised in a Christian family.
I tried very hard to force myself to believe but deep down in retrospect, I knew I never really believed. Never "felt" the god in my heart thing everyone else claimed I should. I tried my best to fake it in hopes that it would come together someday but honestly I got tired of pretending. Then the more I learned about it, the less I wanted anything to do with it. Most of my family still doesn't know I'm an atheist except my mother, who I'm sure prays for my soul every night. I'm not afraid of rejection anymore but I don't want to cause people worry and grief over it.

Welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2015, 06:49 AM
(12-01-2015 06:12 PM)Bible Belt Atheist Wrote:  I live in the state of Tennessee in the United States, and I've been a long-time Thinking Atheist podcast listener.

I don't know why I never signed up for the forum before now.

Anyway, I was raised as a Protestant Christian in the Methodist denomination from infancy and remained part of said religion until the age of 27 when, after a few years of "soul searching" and research, I finally realized that Christianity didn't add up to the truth. I went through various stages of belief before becoming an Atheist.

I came out to close members of my family about my apostasy in July of 2012. We talked about it for a while, but now we barely mention it at all. Fortunately, it's not really a major issue at the moment. My entire extended family is filled with Christians and I'm not sure how many of them know about my Atheism.

After struggling with how I felt for a while, I am now happy with my lack of belief. It's annoying to live in the Bible Belt as an Atheist at times, but I've discovered a few other Atheist in this area since my deconversion. I am free of the shackles of religion and am at peace with the idea of there being no god.

Welcome, BBA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Hello! I am a strange old man (atheist) in a strange land (Oklahoma). I was raised going to church every time there was church, but it didn't take. I wanted it to be true, but before I was 17, I decided it was all a bunch of claptrap. If you think Oklahoma is bad, I lived in Utah for 11 years before moving here in 2000, and in Mormon-influenced counties in Wyoming and Colorado for another 8 years before that.

I don't know what to expect out of this forum, but I thought I'd try it on for fit. Got turned onto it by Seth when he was in Tulsa last Saturday.
[+] 1 user Likes Neville B Royal's post
13-01-2015, 11:25 AM
(13-01-2015 08:42 AM)Neville B Royal Wrote:  I don't know what to expect out of this forum

Well just as long as you don't expect the Spanish Inquisition Tongue

Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-01-2015, 11:33 AM
welcome n00bs!

And I say that in a sincere way...welcome! Jump right in- don't be shy.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Hey there.
15-01-2015, 12:02 PM
(13-01-2015 06:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 02:49 PM)cinnamint Wrote:  Hi I'm an adopted Asian American who was raised in a Christian family.
I tried very hard to force myself to believe but deep down in retrospect, I knew I never really believed. Never "felt" the god in my heart thing everyone else claimed I should. I tried my best to fake it in hopes that it would come together someday but honestly I got tired of pretending. Then the more I learned about it, the less I wanted anything to do with it. Most of my family still doesn't know I'm an atheist except my mother, who I'm sure prays for my soul every night. I'm not afraid of rejection anymore but I don't want to cause people worry and grief over it.

Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome guys Smile

I forgot to add that I think my problem is I took it too seriously. Like either I should seriously follow the bible to the letter, or not at all. (This is the almighty GOD's word, right??) I tend to be a serious over thinker.
16-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm a fresh, out-of-the oven, atheist, a former Catholic. I'm not entirely sure I was ever completely compliant with the faith, although the ten years I spent in a Catholic school were enough for me to actually fear the possibility of ending up in Hell and trying very hard to believe as a result. Needless to say, it didn't work and, as Seth would say, my need to know eventually overcame my will to believe. The resulting loss of my religion was rather quick after that.

I've become a diligent listener of the podcast over the last couple of weeks due to its variety of content as much as the well-tempered, reasonable manner of Seth conducting the show. Thanks to him, I decided to create an account here and give the forum a try. Smile
16-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Hello. My name is Kurt and I'm an atheist living in North Carolina!
Thread Closed