Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
16-01-2015, 05:51 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(16-01-2015 02:23 PM)Silmar Wrote:  Hi everybody!

I'm a fresh, out-of-the oven, atheist, a former Catholic. I'm not entirely sure I was ever completely compliant with the faith, although the ten years I spent in a Catholic school were enough for me to actually fear the possibility of ending up in Hell and trying very hard to believe as a result. Needless to say, it didn't work and, as Seth would say, my need to know eventually overcame my will to believe. The resulting loss of my religion was rather quick after that.

I've become a diligent listener of the podcast over the last couple of weeks due to its variety of content as much as the well-tempered, reasonable manner of Seth conducting the show. Thanks to him, I decided to create an account here and give the forum a try. Smile

Welcome. Jump right in.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Hey! I'm Dahlia. I love Seth's podcast and thought I'd join the online community. Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dahlia's post
17-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Welcome to Kurt and to Dahlia.

17-01-2015, 05:29 PM
(13-01-2015 08:42 AM)Neville B Royal Wrote:  Hello! I am a strange old man (atheist) in a strange land (Oklahoma). I was raised going to church every time there was church, but it didn't take. I wanted it to be true, but before I was 17, I decided it was all a bunch of claptrap. If you think Oklahoma is bad, I lived in Utah for 11 years before moving here in 2000, and in Mormon-influenced counties in Wyoming and Colorado for another 8 years before that.

I don't know what to expect out of this forum, but I thought I'd try it on for fit. Got turned onto it by Seth when he was in Tulsa last Saturday.

Welcome. The forum can be an odd place, but get a drink and some hors d'oeuvres and join a conversation.

17-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
(16-01-2015 05:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 02:23 PM)Silmar Wrote:  Hi everybody!

I'm a fresh, out-of-the oven, atheist, a former Catholic. I'm not entirely sure I was ever completely compliant with the faith, although the ten years I spent in a Catholic school were enough for me to actually fear the possibility of ending up in Hell and trying very hard to believe as a result. Needless to say, it didn't work and, as Seth would say, my need to know eventually overcame my will to believe. The resulting loss of my religion was rather quick after that.

I've become a diligent listener of the podcast over the last couple of weeks due to its variety of content as much as the well-tempered, reasonable manner of Seth conducting the show. Thanks to him, I decided to create an account here and give the forum a try. Smile

Welcome. Jump right in.

Thanks! Smile
18-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi I'm Terri, I'm from Kentucky and I'm not "out" yet but I know I won't lose my friends, just probably most of my family.
18-01-2015, 08:43 PM
(05-12-2014 12:26 AM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  My name is Kyle, and I am a 20 year old from Oklahoma. I have been a skeptic my whole life, however, as I was born and raised in the Bible Belt, I really tried to believe. Because of this, I spent my teenage years battling depression, confusion, and feeling lost. I couldn't fathom that some being would create someone who thinks the way I naturally do, and then punishing them for the way they think. I have recently fully embraced my true nature as a freethinker. I'm lucky to have a beautiful wife (yes, married at 20) who was questioning her faith, and recently became an unbeliever. She and I actually had dinner at my parents' tonight and I "came out" to them. Didn't go well, as my mother was raised by a preacher, and has never had an original thought in her life. That's why I came here to enjoy the company of like minded individuals! Sorry for the wall of text!Blush

Hey, Kyle. I'm Caleb from Texas and I can understand. I was around your age (28 now) when I told my parents and though it wasn't the worst experience of my life, it did make me realize that my parents aren't as understanding as I once thought. My dad immediately told me there was something wrong with me and my mom later said she didn't know where she went wrong with my brothers and I. I didn't find it flattering that she felt like a failure as a parent just because I don't believe what she does. I've never really done things the way other people expect, and yet, my life couldn't be better. I've been married for nearly 7 years, have a brand new house, a good job with benefits, and a baby on the way. All without a god, and I still get the feeling that my parents give all the glory of my success to theirs. It's insulting, but if I were to mention this, I would be the one out of line.
So I just keep my mouth shut and wait for the right moment to really speak my mind.
Anyway, it's not always easy, but if you can get passed the looks of hate that some people will give you, you'll be okay. I've been an Atheist for over 10 years and only now am I brave enough to speak my mind. I don't go out looking for arguments, but if others are willing and free to speak their minds then I should be too. I guess at some point I got tired of the religious arrogance I always see and decided that the religious right have had too many wins and privileges.
19-01-2015, 08:18 AM
(18-01-2015 03:08 PM)Beteljuice01 Wrote:  Hi I'm Terri, I'm from Kentucky and I'm not "out" yet but I know I won't lose my friends, just probably most of my family.

Welcome. Family can often surprise you.

19-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Hello all – I am a seeker of the kind of knowledge that doesn’t rely on mythology and inconsistent folk talks to explain the universe and why things are the way they are. Raised a Catholic, I always questioned the differences between what the bible said and what the church taught. As I got older, I realized that the bible was full of inconsistencies and held up figures of questionable moral character as ‘righteous.’ It just didn't make sense.

I’m not at the point where I can claim the title of ‘atheist’ and be comfortable with that. I recognize that I have way too many deeply ingrained (programmed) feelings about the deity-driven world to just shake those off and be comfortable. In some ways I feel like it’s breaking an addiction. But I hope that by participating in this community, I can finally break those shackles and give up the addiction of religion.
19-01-2015, 01:58 PM
(16-01-2015 04:45 PM)Kurt Wrote:  Hello. My name is Kurt and I'm an atheist living in North Carolina!

Hi Kurt....do we know each other?

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
Thread Closed