Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
29-01-2015, 07:46 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Bonjour. I'm 13 and I like knowledge and nature.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lecoffee's post
30-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone. Just discovered this site and podcast - love it. Really great to read and listen to like-minded folks. Been an atheist for a long time, but just recently becoming more comfortable 'coming out' about it. Too many years of biting my tongue and avoiding confrontation. Ready to put that behind me. Lots of inspiration for that here.
30-01-2015, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 10:32 AM by DLJ.)
I recently discovered TTA podcast and website and I am a somewhat new atheist.

I don't know if I was ever a true believer even though I was raised in the baptist church and my grandfather was the pastor.

I've been around the world thanks to the Marine Corps. I've had a chance to see other religions first hand and so I always questioned who was right.

Back in August of this year (2014) I watched "The Unbelievers" on Netflix. From there I started reading "A Universe from Nothing". I was a couple of chapters into the book reading just a little each day when one day my younger brother passed away. For most of my family that pushed them further into the church but for me it had the opposite effect. I have since been watching religious debates featuring Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and Dennett. I also watch anything with Krauss in it. I'm reading "The God Delusion" now and up next is "god is not Great".

I think I have always been an atheist at heart but only now am I admitting it to myself. I look forward to being a part of this community.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
[+] 4 users Like USMCLoggy's post
01-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Hi all,
To say I'm a frustrated Atheist is just scratching the surface. I'm in a relationship with my ex-husband who is a fundamentalist Christian. We divorced after 10 years when our youngest kids graduated from High School. I have no relationship with two of my kids because religion and my relationship with my ex. We have 5 kids between us but none together, THANK GOD!! Only 1 is religious, his oldest, and that's because he thinks that his belief in god got him out of prison for beating his wife.
Anyway we thought we would give it another try. He tells me that he made a promise to me and god that he would take care of me. Blink He also tells me that the only reason that he has turned his life around as in following all laws, not beating people, and generally being a good person is because he is now taking all of his morals from the Christian god. Explaining to him that he shouldn't do that because god had sanctioned murder, infanticide, incest ect.. It's a useless conversation. When I ask him if I'm going to hell for not believing he really doesn't give me an answer. I know that this is much more then an intro but if there is a hell I'm in it. I need some sanity and a job because right now I'm trapped with nowhere to go.
Mothra
[+] 2 users Like pwmothra's post
01-02-2015, 08:41 PM
A Freethinker who does not see any evidence for the existence of gods, or devils, demons, angels or their like. I am not anti-christian like some out there who merely Hate the God of the Bible because of all the shitty things he has supposedly done to mankind, because I do not believe that god has done anything at all, because I operate under the presumption that gods do not exist. Since god does not exist then he could not have had any offspring, so no Jesus either and therefore no deities to pour your hate into. Gods do not exist but people who believe god(s) exist, do exist, and therein lies the problem!

I find it a bit weird that so many 'Atheists' get so infuriated with an evil god, when they supposedly don't believe in gods at all. I think they perhaps are better described as Anti-Christians who are pretty pissed for some odd reason at a god they believe exists. If you are mad at god or think he's an asshole, or you cannot go into a church to attend your friends wedding nor pay your respects to a dead friend or relative by going into a church because yo believe it is a house where a God lives, then you are not a Real Atheist are you. because you actually believe there is a God somewhere!

As an Atheist I can go to anyplace I want without offending my religion or my gods because I do not have a religion nor any secular or supernatural gods to impress or fear. Churches to attend a wedding no problem, Tour of a Hindu Rat Temple, no problem, Architecture of the inside of the Blue Mosque, no problem because I know that there are no gods in those places or ANY places.

That being said I prefer the quasi (anti-Christian) atheist to the ones who denigrate Christianity but support or go easy on the Doctrine of Islam which is in comparison to modern Christianity immeasurably worse. There is not much worse than a Pro-Islam Atheist?

Anyway that's me, nice to meet you all. Glad to be aboard, and I hope I don't rock the boat too much.
01-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi Newbie,

I'm a Newbie here too, but Id like to offer you some advice.

" He also tells me that the only reason that he has turned his life around as in following all laws, not beating people, and generally being a good person is because he is now taking all of his morals from the Christian god. Explaining to him that he shouldn't do that because god had sanctioned murder, infanticide, incest ect.. It's a useless conversation. "

Perhaps he will be a better person if he continues believing that there is a vengeful God watching over him 24/7/365. If he is not beating people and he believes it is because he has found God, then it may be better to let him believe it.

I am an Atheist not a religionist, but I know that there can be a utilitarian aspect to belief for some people. I know of down and out drunkards who sometimes manage to clean themselves up when someone tells them that there is a god who loves them and wants them to not drink. These people are weak minded, and need a mental crutch to lean upon, so I never kick the crutch out from under a Wino who tells me that God sustains his sobriety. I just smile at him and say Good for You my friend. We are all in this together, so be kind!

I don't think it matters if someone believes that a Fairy sprinkled magic dust over them to keep their alcoholism or their violent wife beating at bay or that jesus died for them and they shouldn't disappoint the little guy......whatever works is okay I guess as long as it helps them live a better life. Some people are easily convinced so perhaps it would be unwise to tell this guy that he is free to be violent because no gods are looking.
01-02-2015, 09:22 PM
(01-02-2015 02:33 PM)pwmothra Wrote:  Hi all,
To say I'm a frustrated Atheist is just scratching the surface. I'm in a relationship with my ex-husband who is a fundamentalist Christian. We divorced after 10 years when our youngest kids graduated from High School. I have no relationship with two of my kids because religion and my relationship with my ex. We have 5 kids between us but none together, THANK GOD!! Only 1 is religious, his oldest, and that's because he thinks that his belief in god got him out of prison for beating his wife.
Anyway we thought we would give it another try. He tells me that he made a promise to me and god that he would take care of me. Blink He also tells me that the only reason that he has turned his life around as in following all laws, not beating people, and generally being a good person is because he is now taking all of his morals from the Christian god. Explaining to him that he shouldn't do that because god had sanctioned murder, infanticide, incest ect.. It's a useless conversation. When I ask him if I'm going to hell for not believing he really doesn't give me an answer. I know that this is much more then an intro but if there is a hell I'm in it. I need some sanity and a job because right now I'm trapped with nowhere to go.
Mothra

Welcome to TTA.
I have doubts about your retry. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2015, 09:17 PM
I am a middle aged male (60) :-) who spent too much of his youth in a christian semi-cult. Quite an indoctrination. Mostly forgot about it and just idled along until a few years ago when The Horsemen fired me up. A new local Secular Society group started and I have found it very worthwhile to get together with them whenever I can.
I so appreciate The Unholy Trinity as well! Keep up the good work! Keep interviewing those great guests Seth, and sharing your heart and soul and insights with us. And I love Betty Bowers as well. Have decided that I need to call out believers that I know when they make faith claims or when they feel the need to circle up and pray. I can join in with that: 'dear god, how is it that you can do such horrible things and still get people to profess that you are good??' That rocks their boat a little.
The Patti Fiasco Band sings, "I don't want to talk to God I need to talk to Elvis." When more people realize there isn't any difference then this world might become a better place...
03-02-2015, 07:54 AM
(02-02-2015 09:17 PM)grtunwshd Wrote:  I am a middle aged male (60) :-) who spent too much of his youth in a christian semi-cult. Quite an indoctrination. ...

Welcome. I see you plan to live to 120?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Welcome to everybody!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Thread Closed