Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-02-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(01-02-2015 09:04 PM)Hugh Janus Wrote:  Hi Newbie,

I'm a Newbie here too, but Id like to offer you some advice.

" He also tells me that the only reason that he has turned his life around as in following all laws, not beating people, and generally being a good person is because he is now taking all of his morals from the Christian god. Explaining to him that he shouldn't do that because god had sanctioned murder, infanticide, incest ect.. It's a useless conversation. "

Perhaps he will be a better person if he continues believing that there is a vengeful God watching over him 24/7/365. If he is not beating people and he believes it is because he has found God, then it may be better to let him believe it.

I am an Atheist not a religionist, but I know that there can be a utilitarian aspect to belief for some people. I know of down and out drunkards who sometimes manage to clean themselves up when someone tells them that there is a god who loves them and wants them to not drink. These people are weak minded, and need a mental crutch to lean upon, so I never kick the crutch out from under a Wino who tells me that God sustains his sobriety. I just smile at him and say Good for You my friend. We are all in this together, so be kind!

I don't think it matters if someone believes that a Fairy sprinkled magic dust over them to keep their alcoholism or their violent wife beating at bay or that jesus died for them and they shouldn't disappoint the little guy......whatever works is okay I guess as long as it helps them live a better life. Some people are easily convinced so perhaps it would be unwise to tell this guy that he is free to be violent because no gods are looking.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I really don't give him much credit because he accommodates my atheism by not praying in front of me or talking about his belief around me. Last night I listened to a sermon that he picked out then he listened to Seth's 200th episode. I thought we were going to talk about it when it was finished but he wouldn't. He kind of avoided me the rest of the night. Went to sleep with his back to me. This morning is like nothing ever happened the we a call this morning that our 1 year old grandson broke his leg. He has OI. I can just imagine the praying that's going to happen now.
When I questioned his religion he says that he believes because when he dies he's going to see all his dead relatives. OMG!!! I told him he's just living to die. Doesn't make much sense to me.
I'm going to continue to have him listen to Seth's podcast and I'm sure I'll have to listen to his sermons which aren't bad. The have a lot of good therapy sessions. But the injection of an imaginary being in control of our lives is absolutely preposterous.
This is the kind of therapy I need.
Mothra [/php]
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Believing in something that can't be proven to exist doesn't make sense to me and is a great waste of time. It seems that the time spent engaged in riturals instead could be used pursuing knowledge that would be helpful to the person and others. Beliefs seem to be tools for believers to use in making those around them feeling miserable and inferior. It seems the stronger the belief the person has in something the more unbearable their personality becomes. I find that having a good working knowledge of the Bible and the believer's religion is a means that can be used to point out the contradictions and errors it has in it. To point out a few check out Matthew 12:38-40; the sign of Jonah, a prophecy Jesus clearly failed to meet. Compare Revelations1:8 & Rev. 1:11 versus Isaiah 44:6. God and Jesus can't both be the first and last and only God. You would think too a God would know the attributes of his own creations; check out Leviticus 11:23 (insects with 4 legs?) Lev. 11:4 (Camels don't have cloven hoofs? ) Coneys chew a cud--you need more than one stomache to do that. The creation story in Genesis comes from an older Egytian creation myth. There is a lot more but these are points that can't be refuted--except by irrational people.
04-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I've tried everything. He's even told me that I'm stupid for not believing. That one got me.
I'm to the point that I'm about to walk out. He has no thirst of knowledge because everything he needs to know is in the bible and of course every dead relative is up there waiting for him.
Why can't I find a decent man?
04-02-2015, 11:52 PM
(04-02-2015 06:42 PM)pwmothra Wrote:  Why can't I find a decent man?

We corrupted those goody-two-shoes buggers with our evil plots, they were making us arseholes look bad Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-02-2015, 06:02 AM
Hi

I'm very, very new to this whole atheist thing. In fact I don't yet feel ready to even say out loud that I am an atheist. But I cannot, with any honesty, say that I am a Christian anymore.

I grew up in a Christian family, was reading the bible regularly from a young age, and after high school I even studied at a bible college for six months (I dropped out due to a major depressive episode). I pressed on with my faith despite being frustrated with questions about the bible and God that no one could answer to my satisfaction. In recent years (I'm now 30) I ended up working as the personal assistant to the lead pastor of my evangelical church. I decided to return to study and am now progressing through a degree in psychology and cognitive neuroscience, which I love.

My faith has been slowly slipping away. The cognitive dissonance was becoming unbearable. I resigned from my employment at church six months ago. I am "lucky" that serious illness resulting in major surgery gave me an easy out without having to disclose how I really felt. I was not well enough to continue with both work and study.

I have felt so lost, alone and confused. I stumbled across Seth's podcast and have found it to be so informative, entertaining, encouraging and comforting. My husband, my family and the vast majority of my friends are Christians. Luckily my husband is very intelligent and liberal in his theology, so while I'm sure there are challenges ahead, I remain hopeful for our future together. I'm terrified of what my parents will think though.

Loosing my faith had left me feeling like a puppet who's cut its strings. I find myself simultaneously liberated and paralyzed. I finally have freedom, but after a lifetime of indoctrination (with a heavy emphasis on obedience - I am, after all, a woman), I struggle to know how to move forward by myself. I struggle to listen to my own voice, which has been suppressed to the point of teetering on the edge of non-existence.

I guess I thought this forum might be a friendly place to seek encouragement and advice as I traverse this path of deconversion.

Sorry this is so long.
[+] 1 user Likes PaperDaisy's post
05-02-2015, 01:08 PM
(05-02-2015 06:02 AM)PaperDaisy Wrote:  Hi

I'm very, very new to this whole atheist thing. In fact I don't yet feel ready to even say out loud that I am an atheist. But I cannot, with any honesty, say that I am a Christian anymore.

I grew up in a Christian family, was reading the bible regularly from a young age, and after high school I even studied at a bible college for six months (I dropped out due to a major depressive episode). I pressed on with my faith despite being frustrated with questions about the bible and God that no one could answer to my satisfaction. In recent years (I'm now 30) I ended up working as the personal assistant to the lead pastor of my evangelical church. I decided to return to study and am now progressing through a degree in psychology and cognitive neuroscience, which I love.

My faith has been slowly slipping away. The cognitive dissonance was becoming unbearable. I resigned from my employment at church six months ago. I am "lucky" that serious illness resulting in major surgery gave me an easy out without having to disclose how I really felt. I was not well enough to continue with both work and study.

I have felt so lost, alone and confused. I stumbled across Seth's podcast and have found it to be so informative, entertaining, encouraging and comforting. My husband, my family and the vast majority of my friends are Christians. Luckily my husband is very intelligent and liberal in his theology, so while I'm sure there are challenges ahead, I remain hopeful for our future together. I'm terrified of what my parents will think though.

Loosing my faith had left me feeling like a puppet who's cut its strings. I find myself simultaneously liberated and paralyzed. I finally have freedom, but after a lifetime of indoctrination (with a heavy emphasis on obedience - I am, after all, a woman), I struggle to know how to move forward by myself. I struggle to listen to my own voice, which has been suppressed to the point of teetering on the edge of non-existence.

I guess I thought this forum might be a friendly place to seek encouragement and advice as I traverse this path of deconversion.

Sorry this is so long.

There have been many people who have traveled the rocky road of reverse conversion. You have made the big steps, the future ones will easier. The Bible is full of errors, contradictions, and revealing passages that once revealed prove that it can't be a book inspired by God.

Matthew 12:38-40 shows Jesus to be a false prophet when his own prophecy fails.

Isaiah 44:6 and Revelations 1-8 & 1:11 passages claim that Jesus and God are the first and the last Gods to be formed and exist. Big contradiction! Genesis creation story parallels Egypts creation myth quite closely. The Tree of Life is a Mesopotamian myth predating the Jewish/Christian story.

Why doesn't the Old Testament prophecy the Second Coming of Christ and how do you get around Isaiah 43:10 where God claims that there is no savior but God?

God doesn't change in Malachi 3:6. If that is the case what about Leviticus 11:11-44 versus Mark 7:18-21.

The Bible is full of such contradictions and ferreting them out should make it easier to get over the brainwashing you have had to endure.

Compare the OT against the NT by using Strong's Concordance. The OT should prophecy events that are predicted or occur in the NT. Yet it doesn't. A savior to absolve man from Adam's original sin is not listed in the OT section. A Jesus like messiah is not prophecied.

Good luck.
05-02-2015, 01:14 PM
PaperDaisy, there are many of us here that want to help and a great many of them strong women. Ask away in the personal thread. Welcome!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Hai folks

I am an atheist...

It has been 12 days since my last delusion...

Ok, in all seriousness I am Rachel from the South of England. I have been a strong rationalist since my teens. I was raised in a Christian household, and survived Pentecostal exposure, including being exorcized and even told by the pastor who was supervising my expected entry to bible college; that I was an abomination before god. (that's a story for another post)...

I am actively anti-religion of all forms, and have no problem expressing my views with anyone. I have never been a member of a communal group of like minded people before, so I may be a little shy for a while.

My vital statistics: I am a Geek and damned proud of it! I like all things techie and geeky. I am currently off work through long term illness (again maybe another story), and spend my time watching a mix of informative shows (read: documentaries, debates, etc.) and dabbling with creating websites or playing games. I love cats, I have two beautiful Bengal's who currently live with a friend in Wales (he has no-one so my furry babies are person-sitting until he can move to my town).... I enjoy photography though I don't get out very often at the moment.

I have Driven a taxi on and off for over twenty years and have also worked in the software development/Systems administration fields in Gibraltar, Spain, Malta and Canada. I was a night-club bouncer for a weekend, managed seaside gift shops, waited tables, washed up, stacked shelves, been first, second and third line tech-support-monkey and various other vocations at different times in my first forty years of of existence and hope to try many others in the second half.

I don't like football or golf!

...also it has been suggested that I talk way too much and have a habit of going off on a oooh look a Squirrel!

I Think; Therefore I Am....
...or is it the other way around?
[Image: b.gif]
Bunny's Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like costabunny's post
06-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Hi wadehthomson

Thanks for the helpful advice and references. I really appreciate it!
06-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi Full Circle

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm grateful to have found this community.
Thread Closed