Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
17-02-2015, 08:15 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings.

I am not an atheist. I am agnostic. African American Male. I have a couple of degrees in Psychology and a Ph.D. in Education.

I'm raised as a part-time Methodist on both sides of the family. Parents were Methodists, but had serious professional careers and did not usually go to Church during the school year. Grandparents were more involved year round and we speent summers there as kids...going to Church Every Sunday.

I grew up in the DMV so there were a variety of people and religions. Best friends were Catholic. I had Jewish friends. My second Cousin liked the Episcopal Church. Accordingly, I loved attending all of the religious traditions activities.

I have worked with several First American religious traditions. the B'hai. LDS. Married into the RLDS. Like some Black, Baptist Churches. I'm lest familiar with Eastern theist traditions.

All fascinating to me.

As an agnostic, I am frequently entertained and amused at the debates between theists and atheists about who is wrong in their "belief" about the existence or lack thereof...of one or more Gods.
Find all posts by this user
17-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Welcome, the theists are wrong. Big Grin
17-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Welcome

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
18-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Hello Everyone,
Very happy to have found this site. Looking for more like-minded people and hoping to get good feedback for my moments of philosophical pondering or plain bitching about the current state of things as I see them! Confused
I'm a semi-new agnostic looking to start walking newer paths.
18-02-2015, 01:41 PM
(18-02-2015 12:59 PM)Multiplex82 Wrote:  Hello Everyone,
Very happy to have found this site. Looking for more like-minded people and hoping to get good feedback for my moments of philosophical pondering or plain bitching about the current state of things as I see them! Confused

Welcome, settle in and make yourself at home, may I recommend the plethora of podcasts available on the homepage as a great starting area...if you have any questions, doubts, etc please feel free to start a thread, jump into a thread, or even pm/email me if you wish. Welcome to the logical side of the web.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
18-02-2015, 01:54 PM
(18-02-2015 01:41 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 12:59 PM)Multiplex82 Wrote:  Hello Everyone,

Welcome, settle in and make yourself at home, may I recommend the plethora of podcasts available on the homepage as a great starting area...if you have any questions, doubts, etc please feel free to start a thread, jump into a thread, or even pm/email me if you wish. Welcome to the logical side of the web.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
20-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi everybody! I'm from Latvia. My relationship with religion is quite complicated. In my later teens I tried to make myself believe in God, because everyone around me did, so I thought it must be cool then. After some years of trying hard I finally came to realize I totally failed. However I still do read the Bible occasionally (mostly to fight insomnia). I came to this forum in hope to find like-minded people and to participate in discussion on all kinds of topics. Just please keep in mind that I'm a native Russian speaker and my English actually sucks, so please be tolerant if I happen not to sound polite enough, and don't get surprised if I happen to say something that sounds like a total $#!%. I guess that's it for now, thanks for reading Smile
20-02-2015, 09:48 PM
(20-02-2015 02:14 PM)CrucifiedBuddha Wrote:  Hi everybody! I'm from Latvia. My relationship with religion is quite complicated. In my later teens I tried to make myself believe in God, because everyone around me did, so I thought it must be cool then. After some years of trying hard I finally came to realize I totally failed. However I still do read the Bible occasionally (mostly to fight insomnia). I came to this forum in hope to find like-minded people and to participate in discussion on all kinds of topics. Just please keep in mind that I'm a native Russian speaker and my English actually sucks, so please be tolerant if I happen not to sound polite enough, and don't get surprised if I happen to say something that sounds like a total $#!%. I guess that's it for now, thanks for reading Smile

Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Hello, friends! My name's Rebecca.
These past couple of months have been a time of deconversion from Christianity to Atheism, and I am still in the process of recovering.

I am 17, and my parents have yet to know that I am an Atheist. I few people are aware of my doubts of the Christian faith, but I have not made a formal announcement to anyone that, "Yes, I am, indeed, an Atheist." I hope to be able to do so soon. My best friend will be the first one I tell this (who is agnostic), and then my sister, who is a Christian, but less conservative than my parents.

I love literature. Poetry, specifically. I am going to major in English after high school. I have one year left, and then I will be attending a very open minded, liberal college so long as I am accepted. I hope to publish someday. Writing isn't a hobby for me, it's a lifestyle. I write every day, whether it be poetry or just a journal entry.

I also love art. I'm a painter, mostly, though I do enjoy drawing and creating things in general. I would love to do a tattoo apprenticeship during college, but I am still debating whether I would be comfortable permanently marking someone's skin... lol! Still have a lot of learning to do concerning art. However, if I do end up tattooing, I would love to do stipple work, or hand-poke.

I'm very into herbal and organic studies. I've attempted to switch to a vegan lifestyle, but that is a gradual transition, especially if you've been raised on meat. I hope that once I am capable of provided food for myself, and I have more control over what I eat, it will help me stay motivated to treat my body well with the things I put into it. I also love using herbs for organic remedies, such as medicine or skin products.

I love being outdoors. If I could, I would spend each day up in the mountains hiking, or canoeing. I love everything about the natural Earth. The trees, open air, plants... Earth and life are the most beautiful treasures I'll ever hold dear to my heart.

I love music. I play piano and write my own songs. To give some examples of my music preferences.... Jeff Buckley is my all time favorite artist. I love a lot of artists from the sixties and seventies, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks...) Gosh, I love her. Lana Del Rey, Nirvana, Marilyn Manson. I could go on for paragraphs just with amazing artists. I'm also super into folk and indie genres. Evening Hymns, Hooded Fang, The Garden, Susanne Sundfor, Glass Animals, Fink, Bon Iver... just a few more. I also love electronic music! Martin Garrix is my favorite artist in this genre.

I love people. I enjoy doing community projects, advocating for awareness of social issues, working with individuals who suffer from depression. One important part of my life at the moment is an anti-bullying program we've started at my high school. I love being active and involved socially.

My favorite movie is Edward Scissorhands... LOVE Tim Burton. I enjoy David Lynch films, all thanks to a friend of mine for introducing me to his work. Some shows I love are Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, Twin Peaks, Supernatural.

I suppose that's enough about myself. Any other questions, you can direct message me.

Thanks, y'all!

Much love.
[+] 1 user Likes youngpoet's post
22-02-2015, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2015 09:42 PM by DLJ.)
Hello!

I'm Sara, and am joining this forum because I need a community with like minded people. I'm devouring The Thinking Atheist Podcasts and YouTube videos. It would be great to be able to discuss my thoughts on many of these subjects with you good people!

As far as my story goes, I wasn't purposefully raised in religion. My parents allowed me to discover and then leave religion on my own path. I was introduced to Christianity via my Brother's neighborhood friend. My Mother and I went to church because my older Brother was going, and my Mother wanted to know what they taught him. After a while, we decided that church was a bit crazy. This is probably when the first seeds of doubt entered. But I ended up at my own friend's church, which was much more down to earth. I enjoyed the community of it all, and the youth group friendships I had. A different older Brother told me he was gay, and all I did was tell him it made me sad because he was going to go to hell. (I was 13 at the time.)

Once I hit high school, I made a Pagan friend. The idea that my friend would go to hell just because she was a free spirit, and the idea that my Brother would go to hell because of who he loved, all seemed ridiculous and I started calling myself Spiritual instead of Christian. Slowly but surely over the years into adulthood, I leaned further and further away from any organized religion, and closer to agnosticism. When my Christian boyfriend and I got pregnant, we got married. He knew I wasn't any kind of believer, and didn't want to be. But when we discussed children, he wanted them to know God (because of pressure from his folks). He himself wasn't a church goer anymore, and had more of a personal relationship with God. I started raising a lot of questions about God in our discussions, which he couldn't answer. So, he educated himself and then fell fast and hard into anti-theism before our first child was born (yay!). In hindsight, I was an atheist already in my thought processes, but didn't want the label because the church had taught me atheism meant something completely different than what it is! Shocker! Now, I openly and proudly call myself an atheist!

I look forward to meeting people within this community and expanding my knowledge!
[+] 2 users Like sarabeara's post
Thread Closed