Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
16-08-2011, 07:06 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello,

I'm nicole, from Northern Ontario, Canada. (no, I do not live in an igloo, but I have built dozens of snow fortsTongue). My journey away from religion has been long, I arrived to firm atheism when my kids started french catholic school. I wanted them to learn french but not swallow the religion thing so I told them time and time again that the whole Jesus thing was just a story, like the stories in Greek mythology.
I found this site, looking for material to refute my brother's attempts to 'help me find Jesus'. He has recently attended a Southern Baptist seminary for a 3 year intense study( re-brainwashing) and is now church-planting in Alberta, looking to become a pastor there. My brother is a smart man, a chemical engineer who recently learned Latin, Greek and Hebrew in order to better understand the bible.

Glad to be here amonst the free thinkers.
17-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi, I am Fred from Germany Smile
I never was religious, i got no religious education at all. For a few years I call myself Atheist, read books e.g. from Richard Dawkins (great!) and like to discuss about Religion, Belief, Church etc.
I came to this site by searching good videos at youtube. You guys have the best ones Wink
greetings from germany,
Fred
Find all posts by this user
18-08-2011, 02:34 PM
hello everyone on TTA forum. My name is Andrew I am a CA resident in the valley, finally able to join (the register process would not work on my ipad) so I can talk with other atheist and like minded people.
19-08-2011, 09:13 PM
hello my name is Sam i used to be a Muslim but now a atheist because i want to learn more of the world and the universe and how we came to be which Islam would never let me do since its the whole creation thing which i don't believe at allBig Grin
20-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey there from Texas. Yep, a Texas atheist originally from Atlanta, Ga. All that old time Southern heritage and not a god bone in my body. Religion free since 1996, I am a 63 year old who loves the single retired life, his two children and three grand-children.
Life could not be better and I look forward to further enhancement of it amongst the esteemed members of this forum.
[+] 1 user Likes Olddaad's post
20-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Smile RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!

Hi, I'm a grandmother who has only recently found the Freedom in being an Atheist. Shy
I was brought up on a very fundamentalist strain of christianity. As I became an adult, I backed away from the fundamentalism and became a member of the slightly progressive Presbyterian Church in Canada. For 20 years, as a member, I studied the bible, taught sunday school, and eventually became an "elder of session" - the governing body of this church. I was also raising my children at this time, and so, regrettably, exposed them to christianity.
At 40 I left the church, struggling with the hypocrisy that serves as the backbone of the church (by that I mean "the church" of christianity, not just the Presby!) Spent the next 20 years reading (I never attended university, had a secretarial course instead), struggling with my belief system, trying to learn more. I'd always been a pacifist; always had trouble with the violence in the bible, the "us vs them" attitude, the hate spewed against homosexuals, etc., etc.
Finally, around the age of 60, I read Christopher Hitchens "god is Not Great" and it set me free! It formulated into words and reasonable arguments the thoughts that had been bombarding my mind all these years. Since then, I have read many, many books based on Atheism and I love it. I am FreeAtLast!
20-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Hello

I'm glad to have found this site I enjoy the videos and the forum on this site, of like minded free thinkers, I belong to several meetup groups of Atheist, here in Denver Co, I have been an Atheist going on 30 years now, (I am 52) I hope to be able to ad to some of the topics, here and there, and take away a little too.

Why would a God create people so imperfect then blame them for there own imperfections.
Then send his own son to be judged, tortured, and killed by the very same imperfect people.
In order to make up for how imperfect we are?
21-08-2011, 01:20 AM

Hi, I'm Stephen and I live in Los Angeles after moving here from South Louisiana. I grew up Catholic and had constant questions as a kid like why do we have to say in god we trust when reciting the pledge of allegiance or why do I believe in only one holy catholic and apostolic church. What the hell is an apostolic church? I kept praying for years and having never been a regular church goer; I felt like a hypocrite and not being a republican; I couldn't live with that. My dad died a few years ago and I went home for the funeral. My aunt said to me "your dad is building houses in heaven". All I could think was why would someone want to die to go to work building houses in heaven? It would be the first job he had in years anyway. I'll bet he'd be pissed! I've always felt that all we have is here and now and that's it. I'm coming out as and Atheist after years of not thinking anything about religion. I've recently discovered that most of my friends (especially the ones from Australia and Europe) are Atheist also. I'm happy, confident and going to enjoy every moment I have left to live.
Stephen Hanks
21-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Miles. I've been a non-believer for as long as I can remember. I'm originally from northern Manitoba, Canada and now reside in Calgary, Alberta.
I come from a family that is mixed on belief. Not whether they believe or not but, which way they should believe. We have a Cathotlic, a Mormon, Protestants, an Agnostic...and me. Smile
I'm retired on disability and spend my time reading, watching various documentaries, gaming and making gaming videos.
I've watched servral of the Thinking Atheist videos, listened to some of the pod casts and have enjoyed the humour in them.

"Careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

~Mark Twain~
21-08-2011, 03:47 PM
(20-08-2011 07:38 PM)FreeAtLast Wrote:  
I was also raising my children at this time, and so, regrettably, exposed them to christianity.

Welcome! Nice to see more sixth- and seventh-decade folks in the forum.

I'm not sure you need to regret exposing your kids to Christianity. Sure, it might mean they were indoctrinated early on. But on the other hand, seeing what religion is like from the inside can help people better understand its faults later on.

When I was growing up I had plenty of Orthodox Jewish education, starting in elementary school and continuing right through high school. I don't regret the fact my parents made me attend religious classes. I wound up seeing both the good and the bad in the religion, and around age 15 I turned from those beliefs. But if you're going to reject something, it's good to know what it is you're rejecting. Your kids presumably have that background. And of course they now have you and your evolved thinking to help them see the light. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Thread Closed