Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-02-2015, 09:39 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Retired Christian, just because i look for logic in the world.

Was looking fir a site to meet people of Like minds who share the same views :Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
27-02-2015, 10:12 PM
(23-02-2015 09:59 PM)Griffmeister Wrote:  Hi everyone, George here and just found out about this forum from another totally unrelated forum. While I have tried to keep up with the latest news on American Atheists and occasionally check in with a local group I have not been to a site as interactive as this.

I was raised as a Christian, kind of. My mother felt obligated to bring me to church on Sunday to get my spiritual education and we attended services religiously (ha ha) until my confirmation at age 12. At that point I was given the choice, would I like to continue to attend or not? Short answer, no. Frankly, it seems to me that if you're going to say that you believe in god, Jesus or any other characters in the bible then you'd better be able to say truthfully that you believe that with all your heart. I can't say that, just don't feel it.

A shout out to Tom in the UK. You like a little punk and you don't listen to Bad Religion? Most of their songs are about reason in this age of fantasy.

Welcome to the forums!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
28-02-2015, 03:44 AM
Hello, everyone!

I'm a high school student one year away from university who one day, hopefully, will be a philosopher and a theoretical physicist.

I'm an agnostic (some may argue that agnosticism is the same as atheism, which is weird) and I'm glad that I can be part of a community where I can speak freely about the topics that I am interested in.

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Hi, I'm a secular humanist that is growing alarmed with the growing hatred in the New Atheist circles of Western culture so I wrote a book to extrapolate all of my contentions.
02-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi, I live in England and am hitting middle age, been a declared atheist since I was 17 and I love this site, although I sometimes wonder if I'm just hanging around here coz I like getting my perspective supported!
Never been on the end of any serious religious fruit-loopery, benefit of living in England probably, although I worry that the religious types are gaining power and influence. The UK Government has a Science committee member who thinks astrology & homeopathy should be used in the NHS and some "free" schools have been trying not to teach evolution.
Having said that, I'm frequently glad I don't live in the US or any of the other places where being an atheist gets you ostracised or worse.
I have an interest in Earth and environmental sciences, and ancient history and I've always loved books.
[+] 1 user Likes monkeygirl's post
02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
(02-03-2015 08:16 AM)monkeygirl Wrote:  Hi, I live in England and am hitting middle age, been a declared atheist since I was 17 and I love this site, although I sometimes wonder if I'm just hanging around here coz I like getting my perspective supported!
Never been on the end of any serious religious fruit-loopery, benefit of living in England probably, although I worry that the religious types are gaining power and influence. The UK Government has a Science committee member who thinks astrology & homeopathy should be used in the NHS and some "free" schools have been trying not to teach evolution.
Having said that, I'm frequently glad I don't live in the US or any of the other places where being an atheist gets you ostracised or worse.
I have an interest in Earth and environmental sciences, and ancient history and I've always loved books.

Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Never religious, I am interested in cult mentality, having in my youth (long ago) been recruited (not successfully) by the Children of God, the Unification Church and taken the Scientology (Co$ for short) comm course and student hat.
Lately I have been following ex-Co$ at the bunker.
Co$ has a concept called 'dead agent'. This consists of ad hominum attacks on enemies and critics making them 'dead agents' thus discrediting the exposition or criticism of Co$.
I would like to start a thread to discuss ad hominum attacks, be directed to some reading, get help with some things about ad hominum attacks I can't seem to grasp.
Under what Category should I start this thread?

Thanks, BB
02-03-2015, 01:39 PM
(02-03-2015 01:22 PM)Billy Bob Wrote:  ...
I would like to start a thread to discuss ad hominum attacks, be directed to some reading, get help with some things about ad hominum attacks I can't seem to grasp.
Under what Category should I start this thread?

Thanks, BB

Welcome.

Maybe the Philosophy section for discussion logical fallacies.
Maybe the Atheism / Theism section for anything specific to a 'religion'.

Have fun Smile

05-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Hello

I was brought up in a strict Christian home (conclude what you like how my teenage years were-rebellious? You betcha!) and more or less I am just looking for answers. Personal issues in my life, like the sudden death of my brother forced me to ask a lot of questions about religion. While I am not necessarily an atheist I do have a lot of questions and figured I could start asking them and getting an answer that I believe in and not something that I "should" believe in. I recently started listening to the Thinking Atheist podcast and like his point of view. I hope to get some insight and hear from other people and their point of views.

-LC
[+] 1 user Likes LC107's post
05-03-2015, 11:36 PM
(05-03-2015 03:13 PM)LC107 Wrote:  Hello

I was brought up in a strict Christian home (conclude what you like how my teenage years were-rebellious? You betcha!) and more or less I am just looking for answers. Personal issues in my life, like the sudden death of my brother forced me to ask a lot of questions about religion. While I am not necessarily an atheist I do have a lot of questions and figured I could start asking them and getting an answer that I believe in and not something that I "should" believe in. I recently started listening to the Thinking Atheist podcast and like his point of view. I hope to get some insight and hear from other people and their point of views.

-LC

Welcome Smile Hope you'll find some answers (or perhaps more questions) here.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Thread Closed