Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-03-2015, 06:03 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(08-03-2015 01:38 PM)Αθεία Αμβρόσιος Wrote:  Hello. I am Michael. I am 20 (21 in April). I am from Dorset, England. I am an apprentice brewer and distiller.

My roots lie in both Catholicism and Orthodoxy (as I converted at the age of 14). But I have been an atheist openly for two years. And quietly since I was 16.

I believe that nobody has the right to anything. It is earned. If you do not work, you do not eat. I do not subscribe to the compensation culture that evolves in my country. I despise the thought that anybody is owed anything. You have no innate worth. We are all equal. From the United States to Eritrea, we are all as one.

I am angry for all the lies I have suffered.

I am angry for all the suffering that the imaginary friends of others have caused.

I am angry that I must fear legal repercussions for airing my views in public concerning the damage that current minority faiths in my country are doing.

I am angry that I must respect the beliefs of other people who willingly live in ignorance and try to spread it among others.

I am angry that I suffer guilt for turning my back on the faith my family holds dear.

I am angry that my mother both loves me and considers me an enemy.

I am angry because the fountain of knowledge lies beyond the veil of theism. And that the people I love most deny the truth because of a lifetime of dedication.

I am angry because I feel pressure to conceal my views from public speech, if only to save family reputation.

I am angry because I alone cannot change this.

Welcome to the forum. Love your signature.

Το βάρος της απόδειξης βαρύνει αυτούς που κάνουν την αξίωση

The burden of proof lies with those who make the claim.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Welcome newcomers!
11-03-2015, 04:37 AM
My name is my privilege; but my nickname is Laonasa. Please call me Asa. I'm fifteen, a kid, actually, and my role model is my 50 year old Language arts teacher who uses more than 10% of his brain. I may be the most weird teenaged girl you can find here. I was brought up without a religion- and I'm fine. Religion sometimes clouds one's vision, and so, I believe being a nothing in the world of gods allows me to keep my un biased view in the fields of religion. I dress like a goth, fangirls like a geek, has the brain capacity of a straight As kid, and the stubborn air of the movie snob. Sometimes, I might be a bitch. But I'm planning on never harming anyone in my life, and I hate racism, sexism (to both boys and girls), and any other stereotypes or biases. I also despise homophobic views; but I won't force anything on anyone if you don't insult me or anyone without a reason first.
I am happy for the people who find a reason to smile.
I'm angry at the beliefs that cause people to suffer.
I love the world as it is, and it is the best. But don't think I'm naive as the views I hold. I know the world isn't always rainbows and ponies, but I still love it. You don't hate a person just because he's dirty, or poor, or has a weird habit of being scared. So I love the world, because if you think about it, it's the reason for our pain and happiness. Without it, I'm scared that there'll be nothing left to feel.
I live a fairly nice life. I have a good family, a few friends I meet, and have decent progress in my school. That doesn't mean everyone lives nice lives. The best I can do is to make people better.
Some say I'm overindulged, that I have no understanding of the world as it is. I don't care. I don't care if what I do seems stupid; my best point is my moral compass. I can't be angry, not at the world. I'm living a better life than most. It's all I need.
I may be brutally honest, and judge me if you wish. But anyways, hello everyone.
[+] 3 users Like Laonasa's post
11-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Welcome, I wish I'd had that outlook when I was fifteen.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-03-2015, 01:33 PM
(09-03-2015 06:03 PM)Free Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 01:38 PM)Αθεία Αμβρόσιος Wrote:  Hello. I am Michael. I am 20 (21 in April). I am from Dorset, England. I am an apprentice brewer and distiller.

My roots lie in both Catholicism and Orthodoxy (as I converted at the age of 14). But I have been an atheist openly for two years. And quietly since I was 16.

I believe that nobody has the right to anything. It is earned. If you do not work, you do not eat. I do not subscribe to the compensation culture that evolves in my country. I despise the thought that anybody is owed anything. You have no innate worth. We are all equal. From the United States to Eritrea, we are all as one.

I am angry for all the lies I have suffered.

I am angry for all the suffering that the imaginary friends of others have caused.

I am angry that I must fear legal repercussions for airing my views in public concerning the damage that current minority faiths in my country are doing.

I am angry that I must respect the beliefs of other people who willingly live in ignorance and try to spread it among others.

I am angry that I suffer guilt for turning my back on the faith my family holds dear.

I am angry that my mother both loves me and considers me an enemy.

I am angry because the fountain of knowledge lies beyond the veil of theism. And that the people I love most deny the truth because of a lifetime of dedication.

I am angry because I feel pressure to conceal my views from public speech, if only to save family reputation.

I am angry because I alone cannot change this.

Welcome to the forum. Love your signature.

The burden of proof lies with those who make the claim.

Thank you. Greek is the traditional language of philosophy and learning.

11-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Welcome new folks, glad to have you on board. Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Hello,

My name is Brandeyn, I am 17 and lived in rural Ohio all of my life.
I was born into a religious family, as most people are in more rural areas in Ohio. (Most suburban/city areas around here are comparatively nonreligious) My grandparents were Catholics, and I was baptized as a baby; an event I am still not comfortable with. However, My Mother considered herself a more Non-denominational christian and tended to attend more liberally-minded churches.

My family was not particularly wealthy and my mom, being a single mother much of the time, and eventually going through several divorces, made us have to move constantly, renting from place to place, so I moved all over Central Ohio. I was usually pretty good with people, but not those my age. I made friends with adults and people older than me, but rarely with kids my own age. My mother always said I was far more mature than most other kids.

By 6th grade, we finally had entered into a more stable lifestyle, my mother got married again, and we settled down. I didn't have any friends in the school district we were in, and wasn't making any, so my grandmother offered to pay for me to attend a Christian School, which at the time, I thought was great. I attended school there for 4 years. At the start, the indoctrination worked well on me, and I 'accepted Jesus' in 7th grade. I went through a phase where I truly believed everything the church and school said.

By the end of 9th grade, life started to collapse once more, another divorce and more moving, but still in the area. I still attended the Christian school, but after yet more turbulent events in my life, and no response from the god I had so loved, the seeds of doubt begin to really set in, I found for the first time myself entertaining the idea of non-belief.

Throughout 9th grade, I really began to get this Atheist mindset, which obviously did not resonate with the school. I found myself in the principal's office very often in trouble for trivial matters from petty things like refusing to say 'Under God' in the pledge, to skipping chapel services. Finally, at the start of 10th grade, after an event actually unrelated to my atheism, I managed to convince the principal to kick me out of the school, as my grandmother would not unroll me, by telling him I was a homosexual. However there was some truth to that, as I identify as a bisexual, but I haven't told anyone that.

After that, from 10th grade into now 11th grade, I have begun to educate myself in matters of science, religion, politics, philosophy, etc. My new worldview has almost consumed me, but I find it very comforting, as I am still not very good at making friends in my new school, so I maintain my low profile and spend my free time pursuing science in reason, online.

I know its a long intro to me, but I think a summarized story of me is the best way to really introduce myself. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Brandeyn's post
13-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Until something better comes along I'm sticking with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
I really like spaghetti.
13-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Hi, everyone, I'm Marn.

I'm a 44-year-old instructional designer living in the Philadelphia suburbs, and despite the best efforts of my parents (who sent me to Catholic school, and took me to a Greek Orthodox church every Sunday), I'm an atheist.

I've never really joined a forum like this before, but I've been listening to the podcast for a while, and thought it might be interesting to check out the discussions in the forum.

Looking forward to talking with everyone!
14-03-2015, 07:49 PM
RE: 'ts me
I'm a 50 somethin' atheist lookin' for a place to park ideas. I've been listenin' to the podcasts and love them.

Although I've always been a nonbeliever, I like the use of religion for symbols and metaphors in fiction....

There's more about me, but I'm not a big yakker.
Thread Closed