• 6 Votes - 5 Average
14-03-2015, 08:14 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
14-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Oh introductions are hard but I'll give it a go

Im a 22 year old life long atheist who grew up in a JW household. As a kid I was pretty much forced into attending church, harassed into getting baptized, made to preach the word and other such things (I was afraid of coming out as an atheist) but hey it could have been worse. Rituals, prayers, hymns--none of those things ever had any meaning to me so never came to understand the "love of god" or other similar emotions tied to religion.

It was only after high school that I became comfortable and confident enough to come out as an atheist to my family. As expected they don't approve but (fortunately) still love and support me, there honestly hasn't been a change in how they treat me and I am truly grateful. I guess I was afraid for nothing.

I look forward to finally interacting with like minded people
[+] 1 user Likes Wayfarer's post
16-03-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm a 50+ year old from Olympia, WA. I completed a MA degree in Biblical Studies last year and shortly after I realized that I really didn't buy into any theology anymore. It's all man-made.
Retired US Navy.
Work at a power plant in Frederickson, WA.
Married to a Christian (haven't converted her yet but it's only a matter of time).
Raised Catholic, second marriage as an Episcopalian (15 years). Have gone to Lutheran, non-denom, Foursquare, Anglican, and Assemblies of God (in that order).
Love soccer (Seattle Sounders)
Facebook page: facebook.com/denazevedo
I don't care if people know that I'm an atheist. I wear it proudly.
Big Grin
16-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Heya all.

I have in the last few days been listening to The Thinking Atheist on Youtube. So decided to come here to lurk and just say hi from a Danish guy.

As a Dane I find it quite interesting. . . well more sad really, to hear how some atheists in The US is treated. And it was actually a bit of a chock too. I myself is naturally an atheist and have been most of my lift. But then again I think most Danes are. Though we are as a nation Christians it's my belief that not many of us truly are Christians.

Aaaanywho. Just here to lurk and hopefully get over some shyness and be just a bit active here.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
16-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Hi. Just arrived via Seth Andrews' 1st book. Not an Atheist yet but share all other values with you: religion is evil and hypocritical; the mind is for thinking; science is evidence based; there's no god pulling the strings or responding to entreaties; ... need I go on?

I've reread Dawkins twice but I still can't understand the explanation that there can't be a first, so I still have a 1st. But he's out of town on a very long holiday and is not expected back anytime soon and has left us to our own devices.
17-03-2015, 08:17 AM
I'm a High School teacher in the UK, born the year Brian Epstein first saw The Beatles, thus sealing the fate of pop music, the counter culture and modernity in general. Whilst undergoing the usual low level Christian brainwashing as a child, I became dimly aware of the changing zeitgeist when I 'crashed' a party my parents were throwing during the Summer of Love. It was like a six year old wandering on to the set of an Austin Powers movie. I remember stubbornly refusing to bow my head during prayers at school and vaguely resenting the outrageous notion of 'original sin'.Evil_monster Despite the extensive length of time that has lapsed since, I'm mildly shocked by the fact that religion persists and that my daughter is still exposed to 'creepy old Jesus' at her Primary School. She came to her own conclusions where religious faith was concerned and declared the death of God at precisely the same moment she 'mourned' the passing of Santa Claus, aged 8. It took her another month to question the validity of the tooth fairy to whom she was more emotionally committed.
[+] 1 user Likes Kitson's post
17-03-2015, 08:30 AM
(30-08-2010 10:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm a fat guy from from England who draws dolphins and plans to marry one (*epic face* xD)

I also plan to put in so many threads that people will start thinking this forum is 4 times bigger Big Grin
Thumbsup
17-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Looking forward to that!
18-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Hello,
I am a 40 something mother of 3... raised catholic but always questioning everything... I was allowed to doubt and to question but it still took me so many years to say it... I'm an atheist!!
I wasted so many years hoping and being afraid, and still so many more falling into the claws of new age and pseudo science... I am embarrassed and regret I wasn't able to free myself of superstition before.... I needed to leave my country to be able to do it... I now realize that in my country, even educated and rich people live submerged in so much superstition.
But now I allow my kids to explore and question and be free... specially free from the delusion of religion. We have great conversations and they are so smart and inquisitive! They are being raised secular and I teach them human values.
I always tell them I love them unconditionally and explain to them that it means that I love them just because they exist and that they don't have to do anything to deserve my love... I love them as they are...I might get upset, angry, sad... I might not agree with everything they do, say, or think, but my love for them will never change!
They are amazing and the love of my life!
[+] 1 user Likes spanglish.beach's post
21-03-2015, 05:33 PM
A serving member of the British Armed forces, a royalist, a father, a brother, a lover, a free thinker and living proof that not all foxhole inhabitants require a diety! Smile

Anyone there?
[+] 2 users Like Jockney's post
Thread Closed