Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
21-03-2015, 05:37 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi. I am a 24 year old chemist student from norway. I have always liked science, and the first scientific field i got into as a kid was astronomy.

Going to post threeds about astronomy. biology and chemistry. which are areas i have some insight. if only a little.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Nautilus1801's post
25-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Hi. I'm an engineer in the Denver area, sans deities, but a loyal Unitarian-Universalist. That pretty much means I don't eat babies.
25-03-2015, 04:50 AM
(25-03-2015 04:12 AM)dsvo Wrote:  That pretty much means I don't eat babies.

We don't need your kind around here Angry

Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Hello! I'm Judi and I'm from the Eastern US. I'm one of your cousins from over on AF. AF was down for a while, so I lurked as a guest. I like it here. I'm seeing many familiar faces Smile
[+] 2 users Like Judi Lynn's post
29-03-2015, 10:01 AM
I'm a new Atheist, from the southern US. It's even strange to see that word, 'atheist' as I type it. It's only been 6 months since I deconverted for good. I was in the church for over 30 years. I wasn't devout the entire time. I drifted in and out. When I needed a warm blanket, I called on god. When I needed to curry favor, I called on god. Looking back, I'm not sure I ever truly believed once I got past the age of 15 or so. It was more of a habit than an actual relationship. It was just something you did. Science, combined with the deaths of my father and grandfather in a 12-month period of time, tipped me over the edge. 'It was part of god's plan' no longer meant anything to me. Why would a god who supposedly loves me, take the two most important men in my life in the span of a year's time? That's when everything that had been going in slow motion suddenly sped up. Life is random. Prayer is useless except to make ourselves feel like we've done something, even though we haven't. I feel like I see the world as it is, now. It's scary, but also beautiful. Being the only life we're guaranteed, I plan on appreciating every day.
[+] 1 user Likes BeardFist McFistBeard's post
29-03-2015, 10:06 AM
I am 67.5 years old, a retired U.S. Air Force CMSgt, Vietnam Vet, former Catholic, newly transitioned from Agnostic to Atheist, proud father, proud grandfather, and proud ggrandfather.

I love science, free-thinking and despise extremes, particularly political in nature.

Looking forward to reading some intelligent discourse here and contributing to same.

Cheers,
Bob
29-03-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm a physicist from teh germany. But otherwise I'm allright.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
29-03-2015, 07:05 PM
(29-03-2015 10:01 AM)BeardFist McFistBeard Wrote:  I'm a new Atheist, from the southern US. It's even strange to see that word, 'atheist' as I type it. It's only been 6 months since I deconverted for good. I was in the church for over 30 years. I wasn't devout the entire time. I drifted in and out. When I needed a warm blanket, I called on god. When I needed to curry favor, I called on god. Looking back, I'm not sure I ever truly believed once I got past the age of 15 or so. It was more of a habit than an actual relationship. It was just something you did. Science, combined with the deaths of my father and grandfather in a 12-month period of time, tipped me over the edge. 'It was part of god's plan' no longer meant anything to me. Why would a god who supposedly loves me, take the two most important men in my life in the span of a year's time? That's when everything that had been going in slow motion suddenly sped up. Life is random. Prayer is useless except to make ourselves feel like we've done something, even though we haven't. I feel like I see the world as it is, now. It's scary, but also beautiful. Being the only life we're guaranteed, I plan on appreciating every day.

Your name is amazing.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
30-03-2015, 04:47 AM
(29-03-2015 10:17 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I'm a physicist from teh germany. But otherwise I'm allright.

*cough*except for your spelling Heart*cough* /OCD

I'm a high school student from Poland. Hi Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Maratiga's post
30-03-2015, 08:45 PM
I don't believe I've posted on a forum of any sort since highschool, which is longer ago than I care to calculate. It was doubtless on gamefaqs.com where I was part of a secret society that lurked on obscure, abandoned game boards debating religion, politics, philosophy, paranormal phenomena, et all. I went by "Steve McNugget", though my name wasn't even Steve. Or McNugget. It still isn't.

I fought valiantly alongside fellow conservatives, Republicans, and Christians. If I were to somehow find those boards again, I wouldn't recognize the thinking behind my posts. I barely recognize my thinking from 2 years ago, when I woke up from life-long indoctrination.

My social circle is bereft of nonbelievers, though my wife recently declared herself a "nutheist", her brand of light, non-dogmatic, Christian-inspired, science-literate theism. (Also a tongue-in-cheek reference to the dubious term "new atheist.") I should have joined for support a couple of years ago when I was going through de-conversion - it was a rough few months. But hopefully now I can offer support to other new or closeted atheists/agnostics/skeptics.
Thread Closed