Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-03-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome to our community! We're a pretty good bunch.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
31-03-2015, 01:25 AM
@bioneuralnet

Hi there!

You wife sounds like she has a sense of humor. That's promising.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
31-03-2015, 01:28 AM
(30-03-2015 04:47 AM)Maratiga Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 10:17 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I'm a physicist from teh germany. But otherwise I'm allright.

*cough*except for your spelling Heart*cough* /OCD

I'm a high school student from Poland. Hi Confused

What, now I can't indulge in my hobby of witty, humorouslame misspellings when you're around? That's not fair!Gasp

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
31-03-2015, 05:34 AM
(31-03-2015 01:28 AM)Alex K Wrote:  What, now I can't indulge in my hobby of witty, humorouslame misspellings when you're around? That's not fair!Gasp

Germany with a capital 'G' and alright with one 'L'. Pretty please *nervous twitch*

And warn me ahead of time if you're going to purposefully misspell 'exactly' again, I need the camomile tea and aspirin.
31-03-2015, 05:42 AM
(31-03-2015 05:34 AM)Maratiga Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 01:28 AM)Alex K Wrote:  What, now I can't indulge in my hobby of witty, humorouslame misspellings when you're around? That's not fair!Gasp

Germany with a capital 'G' and alright with one 'L'. Pretty please *nervous twitch*

And warn me ahead of time if you're going to purposefully misspell 'exactly' again, I need the camomile tea and aspirin.

*all right

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Chas Wrote:*all right
All right, all right, but I understood him alright.

(31-03-2015 05:34 AM)Maratiga Wrote:  

I blame my phone

31-03-2015, 07:48 AM
(31-03-2015 06:15 AM)Alex K Wrote:  All right, all right, but I understood him alright.

Oh boy. You've been missing out on the Member Photos thread back on AF, haven't you... go and add to my future dissertation. No time to explain.

(31-03-2015 06:15 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I blame my phone

Sure, that's what they all say Big Grin
31-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi, I have a secret friend.
I'm not really new here. I registered back when I got booted off of AF.org but ended up going back there soon after. Not sure if I did one of these the last time around but I thought it might be nice to do again since so many of us from there have crashed this party.

So my secret friend is a theist. I'm okay with theists. People are pretty amazing creatures and believe a myriad of strange and exotic things. When I think about the phenomenon of god belief I don't immediately classify it as a mistake or a backward notion. I wonder more about what gives rise to it, what sustains it and why it is so prevalent across cultures. Gods don't belong in any literal accounting of items found in the world, but the phenomenon of god belief certainly does.

But I'm not a theist myself. I believe in plenty of intra-personal things for which I can't provide evidence though so I'm not looking to toss any stones through windows. Like everyone else, I resent the hell out of it when Christians go on about the US being a Christian nation. I resent it a good deal more when they try to legislate to give special status to xtians or xtian values. My personal peeve is with apologists who engage you only to convert you. The insincerity and lack of authenticity is what I really object to.

Most of my hobbies center around my garden. I live in coastal California, one of the most benign climates for horticulture to be found. I'm close to retirement and I'm married to a woman tough enough to stand up to me.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
This place was mentioned at AF.org. Seems to share some members. Thought I'd join. I've got nothing else going on.

-Spooky

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
01-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I just started listening to this podcast and I really enjoy it!
Some background on myself:
I was born into a very Christian household. My maternal grandfather and grandmother were Lutheran and Catholic, respectively. My paternal grandfather was a Southern Baptist minister. Needless to say, religion was a big part of my childhood. I attended Lutheran school from preschool until my senior year of high school. Like many others, I'm sure, I attribute my current agnosticism to my experiences at parochial schools.
I began to seriously doubt when I was 17. I've been closeted ever since. My friends are aware of my non-belief, but my family is not. A few years ago my mother asked me point blank if I was a Christian. I told her that I was not and she sobbed. She brings up Jesus in every single conversation we have, even when it makes absolutely no sense. She is baiting me, trying to gauge my response. She wants to believe that I am, but she is afraid to ask me again. It's f*cking exhausting. (Sorry, I'm new, so I don't know the policy on swearing yet).
I had a little "religious relapse" over the last few months, after my dad was diagnosed with cancer on October 3 of last year. I was grasping for anything that could give me comfort, but all I got was even more confusion. He passed on January 2. Now that I am fully embracing the non-believer lifestyle, I can honestly say that I am happier and more at peace than I have ever been when religiously affiliated.
I don't know that I could be considered a full-blown atheist. I am not opposed to the thought of a higher power, but I do not need for that higher power to be a supernatural entity. Hell, physics could be the higher power for all I know.

That was really long-winded, and I do apologize. It's nice to know that this place exists as a place I can talk to similarly minded individuals. I live in the Midwest, so non-Christians are fairly difficult to find.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

-ST

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
[+] 1 user Likes StrangestTribe's post
Thread Closed