Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
14-04-2015, 04:26 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(14-04-2015 03:28 AM)endubito Wrote:  Hi!

I'm a 45 yrs old and the father of two sons. I live in Arkansas. I've been a quiet atheist most of my life. I don't want to be quiet any more and the first step (in my mind) is to hear what other atheists have to say.

Well, you certainly came to the right place. You'll get an earfull, whether you like it or not! Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 06:54 AM by jots.)
Hi,

36-year old atheist from Sweden here. I probably won't make too much of an impact since I tend to lurk mostly, but I figured I would at least make an introductory post.

Here's some info about me:

I'm an avid runner (10 km and HM are my preferred distances) and a former basketball player. Passionate about music - I would say my favourite genres are jazz, soul, house & hiphop.

Living together with my fiancée since about 5 years ago. We don't have children and will probably not have any in the future either, but then again you never know Tongue

Definitely more of a cat person than a dog person Big Grin.

Anyway, that will do for now I think. See ya around! Cool
[+] 3 users Like jots's post
14-04-2015, 06:05 AM
(14-04-2015 04:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 03:28 AM)endubito Wrote:  Hi!

I'm a 45 yrs old and the father of two sons. I live in Arkansas. I've been a quiet atheist most of my life. I don't want to be quiet any more and the first step (in my mind) is to hear what other atheists have to say.

Well, you certainly came to the right place. You'll get an earfull, whether you like it or not! Tongue

No comment

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Greetings fellow earthlings,

Seeing as I'm new to the site, I figure it only right to formally introduce myself. I'm a 29 yr young atheist, with tendencies that occasionally lean in the anti-theist direction. Grew up in an agnostic theist environment, but was raised outside of the hollow halls, to use critical thinking and ask the tough questions. Looking forward to some engaging and lighthearted discussion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
15-04-2015, 09:46 PM
(14-04-2015 05:10 AM)jots Wrote:  Hi,

36-year old atheist from Sweden here. I probably won't make too much of an impact since I tend to lurk mostly, but I figured I would at least make an introductory post.

Here's some info about me:

I'm an avid runner (10 km and HM are my preferred distances) and a former basketball player. Passionate about music - I would say my favourite genres are jazz, soul, house & hiphop.

Living together with my fiancée since about 5 years ago. We don't have children and will probably not have any in the future either, but then again you never know Tongue

Definitely more of a cat person than a dog person Big Grin.

Anyway, that will do for now I think. See ya around! Cool

I know you...Big Grin

In the work out thread, you'll make an impact. Yes
Welcome!

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
15-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Hey there, I have a strong interest in issues surrounding atheism. I was never religious myself, but the more theists I meet, the more it drives my interests towards studying atheism lol. Interesting that in 2015, the belief in God (or not) is still a controversial issue...
16-04-2015, 12:13 AM
(15-04-2015 10:14 PM)tbk2015 Wrote:  Hey there, I have a strong interest in issues surrounding atheism. I was never religious myself, but the more theists I meet, the more it drives my interests towards studying atheism lol. Interesting that in 2015, the belief in God (or not) is still a controversial issue...

2015 years after Christ supposedly saved us all we're still so fucken dumb Weeping It's like the year numbers are mocking us...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Long-time lurker of the FB group, avid podcast listener and general TA enthusiast. That, and I'm 28 y/o female currently emerging from hibernation in the Great White North - specifically, Our Nation's Capital, Ottawa.

So, howdy!Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Kailstar's post
17-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Hello infidels,

I'm 23 years old Saudi (from Saudi Arabia) guy who rejected Islam after a deep studying of both Quran and Hadiths. Currently I'm doing my MA in English.
[+] 2 users Like reasonsurvives's post
17-04-2015, 05:22 AM
So, my family raised me 'baptist' for the first 12 years of my life. I had NO idea what this meant, and I still don't think that that category fit our denomination. I don't think they even knew what 'baptist' meant. Eventually people began to notice how unstable my family was--what with of my parents being mentally unstable and the other being an closet alcoholic--and they slowly pushed us out of the church, afraid that they children would 'corrupt' their own young. The thing was, we all thought we were on the same side! We were the "loving, Christian family" and didn't understand what they were talking about--they treated religion like it was a clique you had to fit it into and it was apparent that my family didn't fit the cookie-cutting picture that was necessary. So, in the end it turned out we were BOTH right about that situation. Anyway, after that we spent the next 6 or so years of my life hopping around other churches, pasting whatever they taught us "onto our hearts", because we were all children of god, right? So, we should all have the same beliefs deep down. Right.

So, my family believed in the rapture completely when I was growing up. I read some of the Left Behind series and watched the movies, I even did an intensive bible study of revelation when I was about 12 or 13 for FUN. I'm going to be blunt: I pretty much stayed in my faith because of fear for my "eternal soul". I didn't want to go to hell or be left behind, so I stayed in the faith. I wasn't some person who stayed in it because they loved god or anything--although I truly believed that I did love him, despite the fact that I was terrified he could kill me and torture whenever he chose to... no, no, he loved me more than even my parents did! *shakes head*

Anyway, almost a year ago my parents started to dive into the Jewish roots of Christianity to "deepen their faith with god". Meanwhile, I was getting read to move out of state for medical school. Before I left, my parents dropped a bomb on me: "Oh by the way, honey, it looks like the rapture isn't true. It doesn't coincide with the Jewish roots we've been studying." MIND BLOWN. I internally freaked that my family would 180 on me like that and it made everything in my life slowly fall to pieces. This was something that I had truly been afraid of and truly thought was going to happen--at least, I TRIED to think it would literally happen, but it even when I was growing up it had sounded forced and I therefore had to FORCE myself to believe it. It's funny how it easy it is to make a kid think something ridiculous, even when the kid thinks it's ridiculous. Oh, the power of fear and manipulation.

It's take me this whole year to get to the point of explore religion myself--I had figured when they told me that that were probably other things that were wrong too, but I wasn't ready to face that. My family have basically religion jumped over to Judaism recently, so that was my final decision to look into this stuff. I don't know everything yet, but I'm a pretty logical person and so far this whole "no god" thing makes a lot more sense to me and I see the abuse that occurred in my life due to religion. There is a bunch of other stuff regarding this, but this is a decent description for me now.

Hi. I'm an atheist.
Thread Closed