Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
22-08-2011, 01:29 AM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi,

Just watched Seth's video from the OK convention. Very entertaining. I can just imagine Seth as a preacher, a very good preacher!

I have been an atheist most of my life but only realized it about a few years back. I was born ignorant (Protestant), became curiously questioning, then agnostic (did that for the longest time)Blush, then atheist. After reading and watching Christopher Hitchens I have to say that I now lean heavily towards anti-theism. How many of you out there feel strongly about atheist activism?

WC
22-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Hi all
I'm a director in live sports television. I'm a bit strange, I've been told, but a fun guy. Living in San Antonio, Texas I have only one other friend that shares my persepective that isn't online. I've been a non-believer most of my life, starting early at 13, but for non-traditional reasons that sort of support what religious people think of kids who are atheists: you're just rebelling (followed by, 'you'll get over it'). In my early thirties now. Hope to have some fun and learn some things here.
22-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Welcome to all the new members. It's nice to see so many fresh faces every week. Makes me feel there is hope for this world after all Smile

Good luck to all and have fun!

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Hello all, I saw the site on a documentary website, and decided to give it a look. Upon seeing that their was an entire place of people who have similar views on religion as I do, i joined. Im 22, male and have been an atheist all that I can remember.
23-08-2011, 09:07 PM
(16-08-2011 07:06 PM)bellissimom Wrote:  Hello,

I'm nicole, from Northern Ontario, Canada. (no, I do not live in an igloo, but I have built dozens of snow fortsTongue). My journey away from religion has been long, I arrived to firm atheism when my kids started french catholic school. I wanted them to learn french but not swallow the religion thing so I told them time and time again that the whole Jesus thing was just a story, like the stories in Greek mythology.
I found this site, looking for material to refute my brother's attempts to 'help me find Jesus'. He has recently attended a Southern Baptist seminary for a 3 year intense study( re-brainwashing) and is now church-planting in Alberta, looking to become a pastor there. My brother is a smart man, a chemical engineer who recently learned Latin, Greek and Hebrew in order to better understand the bible.

Glad to be here amonst the free thinkers.

Greetings. Glad to see you here ! We have some really smart people around here who can help you when you decide you want to argue with him, who know at least as much about the bible and theology as he probably thinks he does. I live in Minnesota during the summers, so I guess we're neighbors ? Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Having just found The Thinking Atheist Podcast I was am extremely impressed by the intelligent and though provoking discussions. About a year and half ago I decided it was time to figure out this "God Thing". Most of my friends are very religious so I wanted to figure out why I couldn't buy it. After all they are intelligent people in every other aspect of their lives so they must know something I didn't. My first step was to purchase the New Testament on CD to listen to in my car. While informative it really just strengthened my feelings that it was all BS. So I thought to look up information on line about Atheism. Immediately I came upon a Christopher Hitchens debate. That was my "Ah ha" moment. From there I discovered Dawkins, Harris, Hawkins, and many more that shared my belief of non-belief. I look forward to my continuing education in this area.
28-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Hi.

Not much to say, but need to post or get deleted. I'll mooch around, nice to see the gamer section I was a huge roleplayer for about 15 years. Now my gaming group is no more so I mmorg which is a very very poor substitute.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Im a young american guy, who goes to a southern military college. im not sure when i became an atheist, because although my family was very religious an even homeschooled me till the 3rd grade, i always had doubts. i remember asking things like, how come i cant do miracles? jesus said his followers could. i was told i didnt have enough faith, or i had hidden sin. hidden sin, in a 5 year old? even at that young age i wondered why god talked to people in the bible, but doesnt now. i was told oh thats just how god did things back then. i was told that evolution was a theory that (this is word for word) a piece of snot, got struck by lightning, and decided to be a fish. then he felt like walking so he grew himself some legs, then he turned into a monkey. one day the mokey fell down a tree, and his tail got ripped off. he stood up, and his fur fell out, and there was man. i thought, what idiot could believe that? and truely, anyone that believes that needs their head checked. but when i started going to public school, i learned what evolution really was. and i wondered, why did my dad lie to me? this theory actually makes sense, it explains dinosaurs and other fossils, that my dad said are just fake. why would they lie? i struggled for a long time, untill i started reading books by richard dawkins and christopher hitchens that refuted all the things my dad and the preacher said. i became like a sponge for knowledge, grabbing anything about evolution and religion i could get my hands on. i studied the entire bible many times over. I still had some doubts, but when i went to college as a biology major, my professors showed me real fossils and dna evidence, evidence i could see with my own eyes and touch, that religion denied or offered stupid explanations too at best. but i still wanted to believe in god, becuase the thought of no longer existing terrifies me. ive fought this feeling by just doing dangerous things anyway, like football, wrestling, sky diving, and joining the military. i could no longer support any thought of faith in any god known to us. and the probablity of one existing is very small. right now, i can refute every single argument for god that ive ever heard. i have spoken with very few other atheists, and id like to hear what your stories are, and how you came about them.
29-08-2011, 02:13 PM
(29-08-2011 12:25 PM)aarontheman Wrote:  Im a young american guy, who goes to a southern military college. im not sure when i became an atheist, because although my family was very religious an even homeschooled me till the 3rd grade, i always had doubts. i remember asking things like, how come i cant do miracles? jesus said his followers could. i was told i didnt have enough faith, or i had hidden sin. hidden sin, in a 5 year old? even at that young age i wondered why god talked to people in the bible, but doesnt now. i was told oh thats just how god did things back then. i was told that evolution was a theory that (this is word for word) a piece of snot, got struck by lightning, and decided to be a fish. then he felt like walking so he grew himself some legs, then he turned into a monkey. one day the mokey fell down a tree, and his tail got ripped off. he stood up, and his fur fell out, and there was man. i thought, what idiot could believe that? and truely, anyone that believes that needs their head checked. but when i started going to public school, i learned what evolution really was. and i wondered, why did my dad lie to me? this theory actually makes sense, it explains dinosaurs and other fossils, that my dad said are just fake. why would they lie? i struggled for a long time, untill i started reading books by richard dawkins and christopher hitchens that refuted all the things my dad and the preacher said. i became like a sponge for knowledge, grabbing anything about evolution and religion i could get my hands on. i studied the entire bible many times over. I still had some doubts, but when i went to college as a biology major, my professors showed me real fossils and dna evidence, evidence i could see with my own eyes and touch, that religion denied or offered stupid explanations too at best. but i still wanted to believe in god, becuase the thought of no longer existing terrifies me. ive fought this feeling by just doing dangerous things anyway, like football, wrestling, sky diving, and joining the military. i could no longer support any thought of faith in any god known to us. and the probablity of one existing is very small. right now, i can refute every single argument for god that ive ever heard. i have spoken with very few other atheists, and id like to hear what your stories are, and how you came about them.

Hey aarontheman,

Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story with us.

From what I've heard about southern military colleges, an atheist there must feel like a gay man at a Westboro Baptist Church service. Talk about a hostile environment . . .

Just hang in there and keep in mind that beyond your immediate surroundings there are lots of people who think like you, with the number growing every day. I hope you'll find this community a rational refuge. (Well, mostly rational. Smile )

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
30-08-2011, 09:09 PM

I am so glad that Seth decided to start TTA, and everything else that goes along with it. The podcasts have brought me hours of enjoyment and intellectual stimulation, and the videos are awesome.

But enough of that. Let me tell all of you about my abandonment of Christianity.

Up until High School, I was a devout believer, believing that the Bible was the complete and utter truth from God. In High School, however, my faith sort of wore away, until I came to the realization that I was and still am an Atheist.

The death of my father in 2006 let to a "guilt" resurgence of my faith for about a week, but that didn't last.
-------------------------------

My experience with Christianity has ranged from neutral to very negative. It never gave me the comfort that some people get from Religion. It just made me worry. I worried from an early age about whether I was going to heaven or not. It got worse in Junior High School. My mother introduced me to the children's version of the Left Behind series of books. She would read them to me every night... and It wasn't like I was forced against my will to listen, I enjoyed it, like any good horror movie... until the movie ended.

I truly thought that my entire family except for me was going to disappear at any moment, leaving me left behind. I couldn't concentrate in school, and I would have a bathroom break every class to go to the Kindergarden level of the school to make sure they were not raptured.... after all, God wouldn't leave then behind, would they? I had cold sweats and fevers in school, and would poor over a small pocket bible each morning repeating John 3:16 like a mantra.

At one point I had an auditory hallucination. I "heard" a trumpet that nobody else heard in the class.

At this point, the long ascent to non-theism began. I went into a period of non-thought about religion for my own sanity.

I feel like I am rambling. Thanks Seth for TTA.
Thread Closed