Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2015, 02:04 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hellooo you new people. Lots of one post posters here. Feel free to jump in.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Hi folks,
I joined to try to contact one of the members here. I saw a post they put up about being a campus preacher encouraging people to hunt and beat them. I want to put the person in touch with the folks at Secular Student Alliance and our team with Openly Secular.
Todd Stiefel
aka "Goodheretic"
Chair: Openly Secular
[+] 1 user Likes Goodheretic's post
25-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Hello, everyone. I'm a software trainer from Los Angeles. I'm not officially "out" as an atheist because I don't discuss religion or politics with anyone with whom I might do business, and it's never been necessary with friends or family. I know I don't believe in any kind of god as they're usually defined and certainly not in a singular entity with a capital G that is supposedly omniscient and omnipresent but still loves and cares for every individual.

I usually refer to myself as a non-practicing Jew, as I hail from a long Jewish tradition, and don't see any need to deny that heritage any more than I would deny originally being born in Chicago, or having great grandparents who were Russian and German. I went to Hebrew school as a child and learned two things: how to read and pronounce Hebrew, and how to roll my eyes at the sillyness.

My husband is a non-practicing Catholic. His parents are very into their religion, but they have never proselytized nor given either my husband or I any trouble (at least, not to our faces. His mother occasionally complains to my sister-in-law and we hear about it, but we laugh it off, as it deserves to be laughed off.)

I found the podcasts while i was looking for something new and interesting to listen to while I walk my dogs and when I walk for exercise. Thus far, it's been enjoyable to listen to people who have the same viewpoint as I do, as I very rarely have any religious discussions.

Looking forward to reading what's here and finding out what I can learn from this community.
[+] 3 users Like Livewell's post
25-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Hello,

I am glad to find a place that I can discuss issues. I live in MN that while forward thinking about some things is still very staid on matters of belief. I was brought up with parents that encouraged free thinking, my church going ended at age 9 when my mother started questioning how she saw the universe. I am happy to call myself an atheist but have a hard time admitting it to everyone because of the negative reactions that I receive.

Looking forward to a free thinking world,
[+] 1 user Likes dridlon's post
27-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Hi all!
I am a college student a well as a newbie to free thinking. Nice to meet everyone!Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Hypatia069's post
28-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
^welcome buddy enjoy your mental freedom lol

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
30-04-2015, 06:08 PM
My name's Jacob. I'm a gay ex-Catholic, that became atheist a couple of years ago. I haven't told anyone yet, except for people online. I'm about to turn 18, so when I do, I can go off college and do whatever I want. I'm going to get my degree in computer science, with a minor in biology. I speak English, Spanish, French, and Italian. I read Latin, but I can't speak it well, but really, can anyone other than Vatican goons speak it well.?
[+] 1 user Likes JayZeeIsNarc's post
01-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Lightbulb RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Have been listening to the podcast for some time now, helped me solidify my beliefs on the subject, although I do have disagreements with the moderator on some issues, there is no longer a question in my mind re the existence of a 'deity'

I'm 61, musician, entertainment consultant, and long time vegan advocate.
[+] 1 user Likes VegMidiMan's post
01-05-2015, 05:37 PM
(01-05-2015 12:26 PM)VegMidiMan Wrote:  Have been listening to the podcast for some time now, helped me solidify my beliefs on the subject, although I do have disagreements with the moderator on some issues, there is no longer a question in my mind re the existence of a 'deity'

Hi, welcome to the group. I'm vegan too--nice to see another one of us on the forum! Big Grin
01-05-2015, 10:04 PM
(01-05-2015 05:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 12:26 PM)VegMidiMan Wrote:  Have been listening to the podcast for some time now, helped me solidify my beliefs on the subject, although I do have disagreements with the moderator on some issues, there is no longer a question in my mind re the existence of a 'deity'

Hi, welcome to the group. I'm vegan too--nice to see another one of us on the forum! Big Grin

Zey are taking over! Mobilize teh meat-chompers!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
Thread Closed