Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-05-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
new here... found this site surfing the web and thought to join...
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like slakker's post
30-05-2015, 11:57 AM
(30-05-2015 04:07 AM)Pheonixrizing Wrote:  My last church stop was a pentacostal church and for those of you who don't know about them, if you are on the verge of non belief these folks will take an oar to your backside and beat you off that boat. Speaking in tongues and laying of hands was the end for me. I remember faking it for awhile and I would always be thinking to myself...everyone else is faking this to, right? RIGHT?! ...

That's what it was like for me in the charismatic/NAR church (I should clarify: NAR means New Apostolic Reformation -- they're like pentecostals, only worse). All these folks around speaking in tongues and passing out onto the floor (or a glass table once) and all I got was...nothing...but my life was saturated with believers: my sister always talked about her "relationship with God," and my mother claimed to be on speaking terms with him (want to make a pubescent boy constantly anxious? Convince him that God will personally tell his mom what he gets up to when she's not home), so I felt pretty left out and wondered why everyone around me seemed to have more faith than me. I tried faking through the motions once or twice, but I guess I'm just too honest for that sort of thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Ierbamatei's post
30-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Welcome all new members, good to have you onboard. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Hello Everyone
Hello Everyone,

My name is Julian and I'm 22. I came to the realization that I was an atheist a year ago after being a pentecostal christian during my childhood and then a seventh day adventist during my teen years. I didn't agree with most of the things taught in church and it always seemed pretty ridiculous. Especially the facts that there were so many hypocrites in the church and suffering in the world. Someone once told me that everyone needs to have some sort of spirituality and seeing that my ideals more closely aligned with Buddhism, I went with that. I didn't believe in the rituals and the superstition that was in that philosophy either. In the end it just felt like another religion.

I was waaaaaaaaaay too afraid to look into atheism until my stint with buddhism. When i stumbled upon Seth's podcast and the atheist experience videos, I realized that they were talking my language. Everything Seth was describing made SO much sense and the idea of anything supernatural became childish. In the end I was finally able to utter the words "I am an atheist. There is no God. And if there is...Fuck Him"

It's taken me a while for me to finally post to this community because I've spent the past year really mad(depression/bipolar) about being lied to my whole life. I'm finally coming to peace with everything that has happened and have never been happier. I'm still not out to my family yet but i'm planning to as soon as I move out of my parent's house.

Hope everything turns out well here!
[+] 1 user Likes Prodigal_Sun's post
02-06-2015, 12:33 PM
(02-06-2015 11:06 AM)Prodigal_Sun Wrote:  Hello Everyone,

My name is Julian and I'm 22. I came to the realization that I was an atheist a year ago after being a pentecostal christian during my childhood and then a seventh day adventist during my teen years. I didn't agree with most of the things taught in church and it always seemed pretty ridiculous. Especially the facts that there were so many hypocrites in the church and suffering in the world. Someone once told me that everyone needs to have some sort of spirituality and seeing that my ideals more closely aligned with Buddhism, I went with that. I didn't believe in the rituals and the superstition that was in that philosophy either. In the end it just felt like another religion.

I was waaaaaaaaaay too afraid to look into atheism until my stint with buddhism. When i stumbled upon Seth's podcast and the atheist experience videos, I realized that they were talking my language. Everything Seth was describing made SO much sense and the idea of anything supernatural became childish. In the end I was finally able to utter the words "I am an atheist. There is no God. And if there is...Fuck Him"

It's taken me a while for me to finally post to this community because I've spent the past year really mad(depression/bipolar) about being lied to my whole life. I'm finally coming to peace with everything that has happened and have never been happier. I'm still not out to my family yet but i'm planning to as soon as I move out of my parent's house.

Hope everything turns out well here!

Welcome to the group! Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Welcome!
03-06-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm a 29 year old from England, and I don't really know what to say in this thread except for hello.
03-06-2015, 05:08 PM
(03-06-2015 04:50 PM)skycloud86 Wrote:  I'm a 29 year old from England, and I don't really know what to say in this thread except for hello.

Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome Skycloud86.
03-06-2015, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 11:33 PM by DLJ.)
Hi I'm Ashley from the U.S. I'm 23 and I'm a grad student. I'm a long time thinking atheist podcast listener.

I was raised Roman Catholic, but my family was really the Christmas and Easter type of Catholics so while I did have to go to CCD (it's like Sunday school for Catholic kids until they make their confirmation in eighth grade), the religion wasn't overwhelming.

Although I live in a blue state and most of the people I know aren't very religious, no one I know ever wants to talk about religion and kind of the just takes the faith thing not seriously.

I was pretty angry when I first came out about three years ago, but I've mellowed out since than. However, my junior year of college my dad died and I've always struggled with depression. Even though I do have friends, i wouldn't say I have a great support network or really one at all. Everyone is always so busy with their own lives, they don't really have time for my shit and I don't want to burden them. Wish I could afford therapy, but with my student loans it makes it impossible.

I've come here to make some friends and to have a safe and nonjudgemental place to vent. I'm sick of hearing "just get over it". I also don't have the best family situation going on. I'm still stuck living with my mother and while I get along fine with her, I have two younger sisters S and B who are manipulative bastards. They love to push my buttons and constantly tell me how I'll never get a full time job (I'm graduating from grad school soon so I've been sending out apps for full time jobs). I've gotten a few rejection letters recently in the mail and they see them and rub them in my face.

They also broke the lock on my bedroom door, so now I have no barrier from them and they just come into my room whenever they feel like it. So in summary, I'm a mess.
[+] 2 users Like jerseygirlar's post
Thread Closed