Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-08-2011, 10:23 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Howdy; I'm BaalToTheChief and I'd like to know how much I need to watch my language in this place... Thanks in advance hahaha
30-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Hello I'm who my username says I am; basically an apathetic guy who'd like to know if he needs to watch his mouth here... Thanks in advance hahahaha
30-08-2011, 10:32 PM

(29-08-2011 02:13 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(29-08-2011 12:25 PM)aarontheman Wrote:  Im a young american guy, who goes to a southern military college. im not sure when i became an atheist, because although my family was very religious an even homeschooled me till the 3rd grade, i always had doubts. i remember asking things like, how come i cant do miracles? jesus said his followers could. i was told i didnt have enough faith, or i had hidden sin. hidden sin, in a 5 year old? even at that young age i wondered why god talked to people in the bible, but doesnt now. i was told oh thats just how god did things back then. i was told that evolution was a theory that (this is word for word) a piece of snot, got struck by lightning, and decided to be a fish. then he felt like walking so he grew himself some legs, then he turned into a monkey. one day the mokey fell down a tree, and his tail got ripped off. he stood up, and his fur fell out, and there was man. i thought, what idiot could believe that? and truely, anyone that believes that needs their head checked. but when i started going to public school, i learned what evolution really was. and i wondered, why did my dad lie to me? this theory actually makes sense, it explains dinosaurs and other fossils, that my dad said are just fake. why would they lie? i struggled for a long time, untill i started reading books by richard dawkins and christopher hitchens that refuted all the things my dad and the preacher said. i became like a sponge for knowledge, grabbing anything about evolution and religion i could get my hands on. i studied the entire bible many times over. I still had some doubts, but when i went to college as a biology major, my professors showed me real fossils and dna evidence, evidence i could see with my own eyes and touch, that religion denied or offered stupid explanations too at best. but i still wanted to believe in god, becuase the thought of no longer existing terrifies me. ive fought this feeling by just doing dangerous things anyway, like football, wrestling, sky diving, and joining the military. i could no longer support any thought of faith in any god known to us. and the probablity of one existing is very small. right now, i can refute every single argument for god that ive ever heard. i have spoken with very few other atheists, and id like to hear what your stories are, and how you came about them.

Hey aarontheman,

Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story with us.

From what I've heard about southern military colleges, an atheist there must feel like a gay man at a Westboro Baptist Church service. Talk about a hostile environment . . .

Just hang in there and keep in mind that beyond your immediate surroundings there are lots of people who think like you, with the number growing every day. I hope you'll find this community a rational refuge. (Well, mostly rational. Smile )

thanks! you have no idea how glad i was when i found forums like this. not many people that know me know im an atheist, ive told my siblings, some of my friends, but i dont think im gunna tell my parents. my dad especially, hes so deep into creationism, its gone beyond being funny. its pretty sad. id never be able to convince him, and ive tried when i was younger. i got punished and brought to preachers to have demons brought out of me. so i acted like they succeeded and got a demon out of me so theyd get off my case. that was probably wrong, but i was just a kid, who wanted his freedom, friends, and peace back. i dont think hes got much longer anyway, his health isnt so good. so i figure ill just let him die thinking hes going to heaven, and that his whole family will be there. but i plan on using my degree in biology to continue my education to the phd level, and someday take up the torch from dawkins and the rest of them, so that someday people will be free of the oppressive and primitive ways of thinking we know as religion. theres so much freedom i feel to gain knowledge of the world around me. its sad my dad wont let himself know that. he used his religion as a means to get over alcoholism, get him back in college and through it, and build himself back up. its a shame that he gives credit to some imaginary person, and not his own willpower that did all that for him. hes so convinced god did it for him, he refuses to see any evidence against it.
31-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Just thought I would say Hi and introduce myself before I dive in.....

Im a 30 year old male from the East Midlands (UK), I am "spiritual" although I dont really follow any rules other than my own. Its through studying different types of "conspiracy" theories that led me to this path I am now taking.

I hope to have some good in depth conversations on here.....adding what knowledge I have to this forum and in return learning something new off you guys and gals Smile
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2011, 01:05 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm Brandon from Hawaii. I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember (despite my Christian schooling). I joined this site in part because I often feel very alone in terms of my beliefs and I really needed to be part of a community who understands where I'm coming from. I want to associate with people who don't think devoting my life to some mythical figment in the sky is the answer to life's problems, and I want to stop being looked down upon because I don't share their views.

I'm not one of those people who feels it's necessary to dissuade people from their beliefs (I think there's something rather ironic about an atheist trying to convert people), but when religion comes up with my friends or family I have to restrain my inclination to tell them how ridiculous their arguments are when they fire back with selective Bible verses; I am looking for advice on dealing with religious people when those conversations arise.

Anyway, I hope I find a lot of insights and enlightenment (and good laughs) and even contribute something to this community!

Have a good one!
03-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am a 37 year old male primate, raised with the JW brand of christian lunacy. I began to rejecting the the indoctrination pushed upon me at aprx. 4-5 years old; once the dinosaur quandary created the 1st conflict of reasoning, as I would imagine it did with many of you. I spoke my last words to "god" at about 16 when my internal compass clicked over from agnostic to atheist. I sat back and scoffed quietly in the corner ever since. Now I have found the need to speak and possible fight (politically) because of the fear and ignorance mythology propagates on the global community.
04-09-2011, 07:03 AM

I'm an 18 year old swedish student, currently attending university. I've never been religious, but have always found the subject very interesting. When I was younger I was that kid who asked the religion-teacher all those uncomfortable questions.
At some point i thought it would be a good idea to figure out what I really believe about that whole "god"-thing, and I concluded that I am, and have always been, an atheist. I am also a skeptic and a humanist.

I joined the forum because i like to discuss, gain a new perspective and learn something i didnt know before. Smile
06-09-2011, 10:43 AM

I am an eighteen year old male, living in the United States, who recently joined the Navy. I will be heading to boot camp in a couple months, and after that, nuclear power school, and I hope to eventually make it into the submarine program. I have been an atheist since I was eleven years old. I am fairly open about it; I don't think my extended family knows, which is probably for the best as they are very religious, but my close family and all my friends do.
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
(06-09-2011 10:43 AM)Homunculus Wrote:  I am an eighteen year old male, living in the United States, who recently joined the Navy. I will be heading to boot camp in a couple months, and after that, nuclear power school, and I hope to eventually make it into the submarine program. I have been an atheist since I was eleven years old. I am fairly open about it; I don't think my extended family knows, which is probably for the best as they are very religious, but my close family and all my friends do.

Good luck and thanks for enlisting.
06-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi. I'm Amanda. I'm a non-theist and trying to get better about being more open with my beliefs...of course, since I live in the very crotch of the American Bible Belt, that's easier said than done. Rolleyes

In any case, I'm happy to have found this site. I enjoy the podcasts and like reading much of what is posted here.

-A
Thread Closed