Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-06-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Howdy! I'm mainly posting in this thread to get the moderated first post out of the way after which I will post lots of spam. I kid, I kid!

I'm an adult who was forced to go to church and Sunday school (methodist) as a kid but started questioning everything probably somewhere around age 9 or 10, maybe younger. This questioning was partially due to growing up next door to a wonderful but very religious grandmother. Thank you, PTL Club and Jim and Tammy Faye, for helping me question religion even more than I already was. As an adult I'm probably 95% atheist and 5% agnostic, still questioning where the "sense of self" comes from and what happened before the big bang. My feeble brain can't comprehend either of those so I reserve 5% for agnosticism.

I started listening to the podcast recently and felt as though I mentally came out of the closet, religiously (atheistically?) speaking. I found this place due to a google search when I was looking for answers to my "sense of self" confusion but doubt I will find those answers since they probably don't exist. Anyway, I look forward to the mental freedom I can have here. Y'all seem like a nice bunch. Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
07-06-2015, 07:05 AM
An atheist living in the US Midwest. I worship at the alter of Haskell and C.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
07-06-2015, 07:19 AM
I am a high school student from the UK, specifically England. I am 15 and come from a Hindu background. I'm an atheist but I am not inclined to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat. Their beliefs are their own business as long as they reciprocate the same courtesy to me. The issue I would be against is intolerance towards people for thinking differently.
[+] 1 user Likes Adler's post
08-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Hi

I'm a 40 something female from the UK and after nearly 30 years as a Christian, I've now, after much questioning and soul searching, reached the point where I would consider myself to be atheist. The last 10 years of my belief in God were littered with doubts. I was able, at times to silence those doubts but never for long. 18 months ago I Googled something along the lines of "why leave Christianity" and I came across a blog written by a lady who shared her story and reasons for leaving her faith.

That blog included a link to a YouTube video of Seth Andrews at the FreeOK 2011 convention. My previous experience of atheists was one of confrontation, anger and obnoxious behaviour, although I was guilty of all of these in much the same measure. In a few days I came across atheists who showed compsychologistor, weakness, honesty and a quest for truth. I also came across answers that made sense and didn't require me to stick my head up my own butt whilst chanting the mantra "simply believe"

This was a turning point in my life and I'm still on the journey. Although the UK doesn't have the same religious restrictions as some parts of the US, when pretty much everyone you know is a Christian and the mere sniff of the A word sends people into a spiral of panic as they desperately try (with well meaning intentions) to return the prodigal home, it's been hard to open up to people. Mentioning it to my closest friend either ends in arguments, tears or both, I have for the time being, kept my mouth shut, preferring to go through to occasional farce of church services rather than cause further upset. However, I realise this cannot go on forever. The church, in terms of the peole is not too bad. They are on the whole, good people and I consider them to be my friends. I have told one friend (a psychology lecturer) who has taken it in her stride. I fear others will not be so laid back.

So that's me. I am really grateful to The Thinking Atheist for it's resources and look forward to getting to know people on this forum.
[+] 4 users Like LadyGodiva's post
09-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-06-2015, 12:52 AM
(08-06-2015 03:10 PM)LadyGodiva Wrote:  I also came across answers that made sense and didn't require me to stick my head up my own butt whilst chanting the mantra "simply believe"

So that's me. I am really grateful to The Thinking Atheist for it's resources and look forward to getting to know people on this forum.

Totally agree with the first. A video of the event may have been funny however.....

As to the second, well hello there and welcome aboard. As you will no doubt discover, this site like any other atheist site is constantly invaded by uneducated theists here to serve up an education to us godless folk so in need of direction.

You will hear things like "the second law of thermodynamics!!!" and "Where do you get your morals???" and "Gays marrying will end in beastiality" etc etc etc.

Take no notice. Kooks, the lot of them.

The regular members are actually pretty nice and wont go around trying to thermo nuke puppies and set gays off on ballooning holidays. Although that too may be fun. The ballooning part, not the exploding puppies.

Fridays is White Meat Night. This is where we bar b q caucasian babies. Be sure to bring LOADS of rib sauce.

What else? Nah that about covers it.

WELCOME! Thumbsup Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-06-2015, 04:36 AM
Hey I am from the UK, have been an atheist for nearly two years. The transaction from christian to atheist had been a painful one. Especially as I had been bought up in a strict christian household my whole life. I had doubts for a long time but used every trick in the book to keep them at bay. They eventually caught up with me and I could no longer lie to myself. When I first told my partner about my doubts he was totally dismayed and I felt really guilty. He still went on the journey with me, two years on he is also an unbeliever. Fighting against logic as someone who truly wants the truth is futile, I always knew I wanted the truth no matter how painful it maybe to accept.
[+] 3 users Like Jenuism's post
09-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Hi Jenuism.
Welcome aboard.

Nice to see your partner did not ditch you but came along as well. I hope you enjoy your time talking all things godless. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Rainbow RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello all -

I've been an atheist/agnostic for quite a while, although I didn't give it much thought. However, as a progressive who posts often in political discussions, I've been accused by right-wingers of being Richard Dawkins' tool, specifically by evangelicals. I finally checked out who he is by watching several of his videos. When Professor Dawkins described what an atheist/agnostic believes, I realized he was describing me. Yay! Since I don't think about religion very often, it hadn't occurred to me to classify myself. However, considering the political activism of the religious right, I'm very worried about the bigotry excused by religion.

That about sums it up. Oh, I'm trained as a nurse/lawyer. I have a crew of dogs I love more than life. I'm a middle-aged woman (and Xena Warrior Princess groupie.) Gaming occupies my spare time. And...I'm gay. (Put your best foot forward but save the best for last, I always say). Evil_monster
[+] 2 users Like XenaWarriorBard's post
09-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Welcome aboard!

Great to have you here! Smile

[Image: drapeau.gif]

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Thread Closed