• 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-06-2015, 06:25 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everybody!
Find all posts by this user
10-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Hello All,

I'm very happy to have found you all here. I'm a Brit living in Budapest and stumbled upon you whilst watching back-to-back Hitchens on YouTube (I can never get enough of them).

Hoping to find like-minded folk here for some free thinking discussion.
11-06-2015, 11:06 AM
I am a cigar smoking reverend who enjoys winding up Jehovah Witnesses - how can anyone witness something that is invisible Facepalm

And being honest, I have a fetish for upsetting Christians.

Anyway, here is me, who over the years has explored many religions only to come to the conclusion that they are all just stories.

Stories which control the lives of millions of people Facepalm

I look forward to my time here. Big Grin

rev

Osho - Priests and politicians are the Mafia of the Soul.
[+] 1 user Likes cigarsmokingreverend's post
11-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Welcome aboard new members, if I can assist you in anyway, please let me know.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-06-2015, 02:15 PM
(11-06-2015 12:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Welcome aboard new members, if I can assist you in anyway, please let me know.

Hur hur...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-06-2015, 04:58 PM
(11-06-2015 02:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 12:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Welcome aboard new members, if I can assist you in anyway, please let me know.

Hur hur...

Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Hey

I'm Radio announcer from New Zealand. Just dropped i to say Hi!
15-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi I'm adey I'm from the UK and got out of religion about 18 months ago nice to be here and look forward to meeting like minded people and enjoying debate and conversation.
16-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Hi

I have mainly joined this site because my brother, DLJ, is involved in it and he lives a long way away from me and our brother Chris, so this is maybe a way of remaining connected.

Our parents are not Christians but, if I remember correctly Mum's explanation for taking us to church, they wanted us to make our own decisions from the basis of knowing what Christianity was about. Me, I bought it (I'm not planning to deliver an essay on why and how) and I stuck with it for a good long time.

My journey away was slow and not terribly exciting. It included anger about the treatment of a chaplain at my uni who was outed as gay (early '80s) and later sympathy for the many able women I met who wanted to be ordained as priests but were not allowed to at that time by the CofE. And then I think the decisive movement away from the church was when I attended the institution of a vicar at my childhood church and, listening carefully to the service, I discovered that he was required to pledge his allegiance to the Queen (I'm in the UK if you didn't already know that) but never, as I remember it, had to say he believed in God.

For me as a politically-minded young person who was not a fan of the idea of being subject to royalty, this was a big moment, although of course its logic only required me to reject the/my church. Not necessarily to reject God/Jesus. So I spent a lot of years after this not attending church and untroubled about that, but still attached to the idea of a deity.

In the UK it is easy and normal not to profess religious belief. About 60% of us say we're Christians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_i...d_Kingdom) but the big thing is that, at least where I live, no-one asks, no-one assumes, no-one expects.

My journey towards atheism was relatively easy. No-one shouted at me or told me I was wrong. I can't even remember exactly when I made my decision to be an atheist instead of an agnostic. I can't locate a time of the realisation, and all I can say is that it seems interlinked, for me, with world events, and with my increasing disillusion with the organised politics in which I had invested silly amounts of time.

My biggest challenge these days in respect of religion is to find ways to be loving, generous and polite to my friends who are Christians and are in fact genuinely good people. One, in particular, is now embarking on training to be a vicar. Which, with her skills, she will do beautifully and kindly and... but it's nonsense! Which I can't say to her because she is a beautiful and kind person.

A small challenge in fact.
[+] 1 user Likes KathyJones's post
16-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi all!

My name is Matt. I'm 42 years old and I'm a closet atheist. I've only been an atheist for about 2 months, but it was a long process to come to this point. I grew up in a church and I'm still going to church only because of my wife. I will eventually tell her, but it won't be easy. Unfortunately, most of our friends are hard-core christians. I'm going to use my remaining time of church attendance to be objective and critical of my church. I plan on bringing up contradictions and inconsistencies as much as I can in classes and discussions.

A friend of mine from this same church declared himself to be an Atheist just last year and his father is a deacon. He still attends services once in awhile because his wife is a believer and his parents attend also. It's an interesting situation. Although my parents are more casual christians, not even attending a church at this time, I will not tell them of my atheist beliefs because my father is dealing with cancer and he has enough to think about right now. I don't feel like saying hey Dad there's no heaven and I'll never see you again!

Seth's podcast has been very helpful. I started with his first episode and I have been listening to at least two episodes a day. I'm looking forward to many good discussions on this forum!

Cheers!

Matt
Thread Closed