Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
25-06-2015, 06:22 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thanks for the welcome to "The Thinking Atheist". Glad I got past the approval process.

I was actually looking for "The Non-Thinking Atheist" forum, but I couldn't locate one.

Time to browse the intellectual combat arena options.

Drinking Beverage

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-06-2015, 06:33 PM
(25-06-2015 04:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Hello, fellow heathens!

I'm a former field biologist for the Kansas Department of Health & Environment, Bureau of Environmental Field Services. In 2005, I was wrongly convicted of a crime in large part because of the scientific ignorance of the people of Kansas City, Missouri, and I wound up spending almost ten years in prison as a result, while I fought on appeal. I have finally won, proving that the conviction methods used by the State were unscientific and illegal, and would have been inadmissible under modern standards. Because the lawsuit resulting from the case is ongoing, and any information given here could potentially be used to help the cheaters get away with what they did, I will be refusing to discuss any major details of my case beyond what I have just told you. Sorry about that! I was released on April 21, 2015, and am trying to slowly piece together a shattered life.

Although I refuse to discuss the ongoing case or its history, if you want to know what prison life is like, talk about The System in general, or discuss science with a scientists ten years out of the loop and behind on the literature/journals, I am happy to talk about any subject. In addition to my biology major, I double-minored in chemistry and in history, and have a deep interest in mythology and fantasy literature from Moses to Tolkien to Campbell. I am the son of a chemical/nuclear engineer and a tenured speech/theatre professor at a Christian private university, so I have some interesting views and a broad knowledge of Biblical BS... as I like to say, this is why I am an atheist! (In prison, the more vehemently religious a person was, I found, the more likely they were to be a sexual predator or a child molester of some kind; that's not a slight against religion, that's simply my observation over those years, that the same mindset that likes control over unwilling bodies seeks first the control over minds.)

I look forward to being among an intellectual community again... and I beg your indulgence with any out-of-date language or lack of knowledge of unwritten "internet rules" that may have emerged since I was Away. Already, I have discovered that the 'net of today is not like that of 2005, with censorship and "trigger warnings" and memes/tropes I'm Just Supposed To Know. Angry

See y'all in the arena!

Welcome to the group! Congrats on your release! Hopefully, in some small way, we can help you put the pieces back Hug
25-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Jennybee. You know, as silly as it may sound, I think it really will help me put the pieces back together.

I have learned a great deal about ignorance and fear, and how different my ideas about my country were (as taught in school) from the "reality on the ground", "where the rubber meets the road, "pick your favorite metaphor".

I've only been reading the words of my fellow freethinkers for a couple of hours, now, and I already feel better! My family are deeply religious, and Facebook (which was not available to non-college-students before I was locked up) is only making it worse, as I'm barraged with "JESUS LOVES YOU DO YOU LOVE JESUS" inanity.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-06-2015, 08:18 PM
(25-06-2015 06:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome to "The Thinking Atheist". Glad I got past the approval process.

I was actually looking for "The Non-Thinking Atheist" forum, but I couldn't locate one.

Time to browse the intellectual combat arena options.

Drinking Beverage

Welcome to TTA forum. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-06-2015, 11:12 PM
(25-06-2015 08:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Thanks, Jennybee. You know, as silly as it may sound, I think it really will help me put the pieces back together.

I have learned a great deal about ignorance and fear, and how different my ideas about my country were (as taught in school) from the "reality on the ground", "where the rubber meets the road, "pick your favorite metaphor".

I've only been reading the words of my fellow freethinkers for a couple of hours, now, and I already feel better! My family are deeply religious, and Facebook (which was not available to non-college-students before I was locked up) is only making it worse, as I'm barraged with "JESUS LOVES YOU DO YOU LOVE JESUS" inanity.

Yuppp, lol I come from a religious family as well. I have a lot of friends who are still in the christian fold. I am constantly being prayed for Hobo
26-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Aw, crap, I forgot to do anything here. So here goes:

Born in Texas, raised as a Southern Baptist -- my family moved to Iran when I was eight. At twelve, the revolution which overthrew the Shah chased us out of the country. That experience started the erosion of my faith. Firstly, I was made aware at a young age that Christianity was not the only religion going, and secondly, when the Revolution broke out, seeing the shit we saw made me wonder how a good God would permit such evil doings.

After returning to America, I went through a phase of woo ... but education and reading broke that spell by the time I graduated high school.

After two years of college, I joined the US Air Force as a firefighter, serving in Desert Storm. Got out in 93, took up business management (managing an adult video store, a custom art framing shop, and winding up as a district manager for British Petroleum's retail division). I became a father in 1997 (he just graduated high school!) The recession in 08 wiped out my career, so I came back home to Texas and hit the reset button; I work now helping to manage a small nature preserve a little west of Austin, Texas.

I'm happiest being a father and a steward of the land. I also love playing my guitar (she's my therapist, no doubt), writing, hiking, and, as you've learnt by now, shitposting.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-06-2015, 06:33 PM
(26-06-2015 12:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Aw, crap, I forgot to do anything here. So here goes:

Born in Texas, raised as a Southern Baptist -- my family moved to Iran when I was eight. At twelve, the revolution which overthrew the Shah chased us out of the country. That experience started the erosion of my faith. Firstly, I was made aware at a young age that Christianity was not the only religion going, and secondly, when the Revolution broke out, seeing the shit we saw made me wonder how a good God would permit such evil doings.

After returning to America, I went through a phase of woo ... but education and reading broke that spell by the time I graduated high school.

After two years of college, I joined the US Air Force as a firefighter, serving in Desert Storm. Got out in 93, took up business management (managing an adult video store, a custom art framing shop, and winding up as a district manager for British Petroleum's retail division). I became a father in 1997 (he just graduated high school!) The recession in 08 wiped out my career, so I came back home to Texas and hit the reset button; I work now helping to manage a small nature preserve a little west of Austin, Texas.

I'm happiest being a father and a steward of the land. I also love playing my guitar (she's my therapist, no doubt), writing, hiking, and, as you've learnt by now, shitposting.

Yabut, it's really good shitposting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-06-2015, 10:52 PM
High praise indeed considering the source!

Fuck, now I've got to really step it up ...
27-06-2015, 03:28 AM
I'm Brooklin and I haven't been on here in a really long time. Long story short, I'm a lesbian, I like video games, and I stay up way too late watching Netlfix. :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes pizzaqueen's post
27-06-2015, 03:44 AM
(27-06-2015 03:28 AM)pizzaqueen Wrote:  I'm Brooklin and I haven't been on here in a really long time. Long story short, I'm a lesbian, I like video games, and I stay up way too late watching Netlfix. :-)

Hello or welcome back. Whatever the case may be. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
Thread Closed